Do Some Oils Ever "Feel" Better To You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my Nissan Sentra, PP felt better than any other oil.
Right now I'm trying to see if I will feel like NAPA FS feels better in my engine than the ST FS I drained out of it last week with 3,234 miles on it over 7 months.

Do any of you ever seem to sense that a certain oil seems like it does a better job of lubing your engine than other brands of oil?
No but conventional oils (which are mostly semi sun now whether they say it or not) are more quiet.
They all protect the same no matter what.

Can I feel/hear a difference with different oils? Well, maybe...certainly nothing I can back up with presentable facts, but here's my own experience for whatever it's worth:

In my 2020 Soul, I replaced the factory fill (likely Total Quartz) with QSUD 5w30. It felt a bit thick, as if the motor were being bogged down a bit, which began to let up about 1500 miles into that OCI, with perhaps a bit more motor noise than with the factory fill. Oil color didn't change dramatically during that OCI.

Second fill after the QSUD was Castrol Magnatec 5w30. Less perceived resistance, and a bit more motor noise than the QSUD. Became rather dark within 2K miles.

Third fill was Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30. About the same perceived resistance as the Magnatec, but much quieter overall. I noted a gradual darkening of the oil over the OCI. I've settled on this oil going forward.

Yes, I felt the best when I used Schaeffer because of their company (Christian) values. Just too difficult
for me to get in those big orders and stay stocked up without running out of a certain product.

Now, I feel the best using Amsoil as I really like the dealer personally. Close by, plenty of stock, very accommodating.

And I am of the belief that both of those companies make superb products.

In my old 2006 Civic I honestly noticed a difference in the smoothness of the engine when I switched it over to Pennzoil Ultra 0w20, after having used M1 0w20 and Toyota 0w20 previously.

And back in the day when the green 0w30 GC was all the rage, I noticed every engine I put it in ran a bit smoother and the valvetrain got a bit quieter. But other than those examples, I've never noticed a difference when switching brands.

Who cares how the oil feels, I can choose the best oil by the smell alone.

But seriously, the sounds coming from the engine are a better indicator of how well an oil is lubricating your engine, far better than any "feeling" you might have. Feelings are not facts, and anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you something.

Yeah i like the feeling of making the EPissA angry when i put a thicker oil in my engines and diffs

The thought that places elsewhere on the Internet reference this forum for any kind of appeal to authority is laughable, at best.

My car 'feels' better when I've spent a day detailing it. Therefore, I generally conclude any differences I feel from additives or lubricants are generally utter nonsense.
How could it be nonsense?
Do you think all oils are the same, and all engines have the same requirements?

So any difference you feel is nonsense?
That doesn't even make sense.

That's like saying "the smoke from the wildfires really stings my eyes, but I don't believe that's possible."

Last edited:
images-1.jpg

Who cares how the oil feels, I can choose the best oil by the smell alone.

But seriously, the sounds coming from the engine are a better indicator of how well an oil is lubricating your engine, far better than any "feeling" you might have. Feelings are not facts, and anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you something.

I'm referring to the sound of the engine and the overall feeling I get about the oil being ran, based on several factors.

As a logic problem and solution, since oils have different bases and add packs, and engines are designed and maintained differently, there's so many variables it's impossible for different oils to perform the same in different engines.

Therefore, there simply MUST be a difference in performance, even among those meeting "minimum" requirements.

I doubt it.
If they all protected the same, would there be any point in UOAs?
Bingo!
UOAs are fun but has nothing to do with the API rated oil which can be any brand oil of the same rating required by the engine maker.
Differences in wear are climate, vechicle use, maintenance, engine defects and driving habits not oils rated the same and recommended by the engine maker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back