Do Some Oils Ever "Feel" Better To You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motor oil/additives are based on science. Of course; we have our preferences. But, I purchase oil based on a certain specification. Although I'm no Chemist.

Yes. I can’t back it up with any facts but my Hyundai and Kia engines seem to feel smoother and sound quieter (especially the 2.0L Beta) when using Quaker State oils.

With my Nissan Sentra, PP felt better than any other oil.
Right now I'm trying to see if I will feel like NAPA FS feels better in my engine than the ST FS I drained out of it last week with 3,234 miles on it over 7 months.

Do any of you ever seem to sense that a certain oil seems like it does a better job of lubing your engine than other brands of oil?
Absolutely. AFE "feels" better than EP in my Toyota Camry. Of course, I am, very sensitive.

The thought that places elsewhere on the Internet reference this forum for any kind of appeal to authority is laughable, at best.

Why would you say such a thing?
Are you claiming to be superior to the overall quality of this forum?
Seriously, if you have nothing to add to the conversation, why bother with this type of talk?

Gee, Mr. Luke, your grammar isn't very good either.

Gee, at least I posted something people are interested in, and I'm trying to keep it on topic and not dominated by negative, childish, off topic comments like the person who insulted me that you took sides with.
But hey, since you have nothing of value to add to this conversation except childish and irrelevant talk and taking sides with people who only have negative things to say, have fun on my ignore list, OK? I'll stick with the positive contributors.

And FYI, my grammar is very good, so don't say things that you know aren't true.
But thanks for showing your true colors.
Goodbye.

Last edited:
Gee, at least I posted something people are interested in, and I'm trying to keep it on topic and not dominated by negative, childish, off topic comments like the person who insulted me that you took sides with.
But hey, since you have nothing of value to add to this conversation except childish and irrelevant talk and taking sides with people who only have negative things to say, have fun on my ignore list, OK? I'll stick with the positive contributors.

And FYI, my grammar is very good, so don't say things that you know aren't true.
But thanks for showing your true colors.
Goodbye.
ROTF,LMAO

The thought that places elsewhere on the Internet reference this forum for any kind of appeal to authority is laughable, at best.

Thanks, from now on I will only listen to the marketing campaigns of motor oil manufactures. They are always scientific and objective

I like Castrol for smoother, quieter than Mobil or Fuchs in my Benz. Blazer doesn't care what's in it. No brand loyalty, doesn't care what flavor either!
My motor-cicles are happiest on Silkolene. Neither likes Castrol. Yamalube is pretty smooth too. Not going to get in a "you can't feel the difference in your motorcycle shifts" or "it can't be quieter" bologna because, yes I can and yes some oils are. Different oils make a big difference, and if you can't feel and hear it, well, this is BITOG - follow the sheeple.

I have already got those two trolls on ignore. Not that I'm giving advice.

Thanks, from now on I will only listen to the marketing campaigns of motor oil manufactures. They are always scientific and objective

Welllllll, I mean at least their oils pass ISO testing.

More than can be said about your feels, unless you have a very expensive butt dyno

If they are only looking at entertainment threads like this one? Maybe, but we have a number of tribologists and formulators on here as well as industry experts that contribute, or have contributed, regularly over the years.

Back in the day, most (if not all) of the very well respected original members here on this site raved about how smooth and quiet PYB was over any other oil. If I remember correctly, that was when via analyses, it showed to have maybe 250-300+ ppm of moly. High moly oils are legendary for being smooth and quiet.

I'm guessing this was before the SOPUS merger?

Maybe my engine is quieter on a 40 vs. a 30.
Maybe the lifters are quieter on a synth vs. a dino.
Maybe it's smoother on Total vs Shell.
Maybe it was all the same before reading bitog.

I never experienced any difference in sound or feel with the oils I've used, although I've pretty much been a Mobil1 user exclusively since around 1990 or so. The last change I added M1 EP 5W-30 HM and the engine seems somewhat quieter and smoother than with the EP mixture of 0W-20 and 5W-30.

I've been driving with this fill for a bit more than a week, paying attention to the feel and sound of the engine, and I am convinced that the engine is a bit quieter and smoother. Is it really? Maybe

About a decade ago when BMW was using ACEA A3/B4 or C3 oils and providing free maintenance I noticed that the valvetrain was temporarily quieter with fresh Castrol was in the sump. The effect wore off in about a week or two. M1 did not exhibit that change (I would occasionally perform an intermediate change with M1 0w40 or ESP 5w30).

Yes. PP is a relatively thin oil so I would not think it had anything to do with pressure. Maybe flow. Maybe your engine needs better flow to get oil to everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back