Do Oil Filters Go Bad Sitting On The Shelf Too Long?

I have a Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter that I purchased for my 04 Nissan Sentra back in 2015 as part of a oil change discounted bundle, but never used.
This had been sitting in the Nissan's trunk for years and then moved to my garage.
I have done oil changes since then, but used K&N filters. It's time for another oil and filter change, but question whether I should even consider this old filter, or just get a new one.
I could imagine that there could be potentially rust accumulation, brittle filter media or drain back valve. I don't think it is worth taking the chance over a 17.00 filter.
Opinions?

I have a Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter that I purchased for my 04 Nissan Sentra back in 2015 as part of a oil change discounted bundle, but never used.
This had been sitting in the Nissan's trunk for years and then moved to my garage.
I have done oil changes since then, but used K&N filters. It's time for another oil and filter change, but question whether I should even consider this old filter, or just get a new one.
I could imagine that there could be potentially rust accumulation, brittle filter media or drain back valve. I don't think it is worth taking the chance over a 17.00 filter.
Opinions?

$17.00 for a Mobil 1 Oil Filter!

Opinions?
If the filter was stored in doors in a cool dry place (like a closet in your home), it should be fine to use.
But a car trunk (which is where your's was stored), it must have experienced a wide range of temperatures and moisture.
I would put it in the trash, and buy a new filter.

My Fram 6004 from 2017 are still fine. Stores under the stair. Now that I have a s load of recent PG Standard Oil Filter PG4612............life time supply.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
I have used oil filters older than that and have cut them open and they looked fine. However, I store mine indoors and keep the openings covered in Saran wrap. I agree with Bill7 about yours being stored in the trunk of your car....toss it.

I've used filters of the same age or slightly older and cut them open after use and they performed as they should.

Personally, I would look at it through the hole and if I don't see rust or anything abnormal I would run it.

Cartridge style may have the benefit of not rusting. Can type can start rusting over time. 9 yr old canned filter may not be a good choice over just buying a new one. A $6 cheap filter is better than the idea of it possibly being rusty enough. I sample my oils & I'd not want any extra foreign issues showing up in it. I've run 10 year old cartridge type no problem though.

Wow. You guys would toss a 2015 oil filter that cost $17. It’s good to be the king.

Not that it’s a shock 😂

There are many among us who throw away tires based on the DOT code or COO

Back