Dixie Snow - What's Working ? Not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow in Alabama and such, so what vehicles / tires are working, and not ? Type of snow (ice, slush, powder, etc.) ?

If it is anything like Texas, we dont try to get out or drive in it with the exception of emergencies.
You just hunker down for a day and by the next afternoon it is all melted away.
We dont have the ability to buy snow tires, and 10w30 dino oil really does work year round. What we call snow you guys up north laugh at.
I think the lowest it has gotten this year in Dallas is around 20 degrees for a couple days. We just dont see the weather that you guys do.
Of course in the summer it stays around 100 degrees for around a month or three.

In a wet snow, anything with good wet pavement traction is fine. Too bad so many of us are driving in the rain with speed rated tires nobody needs.

It snowed at my house in North AL Sat. night/Sun. morning, but the ground was too warm for the snow to stick. There was enough on the deck for my kids and me to have a snowball fight, so that was fun.

We finally got a nice snow here in Maryland, but I don't have anywhere to go until 4 PM today. By then they'll have salted and cleaned up so much of it I won't even need to put it in 4WD. Lame.

Maybe I'll go out for a play in a little bit.

It looks like your ground wasn't frozen before the event which helps a lot with melting and traction.

Well, first snow on the ground here in Richmond since Dec 2005. Everything shuts down, It shuts down as they start to predict the stuff, does not actually have to start falling here. Supermarkets have shortages of carts when snow is predicted, just crazy. My street has yet to be plowed (snow ended at 9 AM, now 7 PM ) just a lack of equipment and idiots that cannot plow a road. So, everyone stays home for a day and then deals with the icy ruts for a few more until it all melts.

But, I was born in Western MA so once every couple of years here is a pain but I can live with it

My observation of driving in the South during winter conditions is do not attempt.

The drivers are inept due to lack of winter experience and lack of winter road treatment like we have up north.

Not worth it no matter what you vehicle or tires you have.

I didn't even have a reason to go out today at all (turns out everything was closed/canceled), but went out for a play in my Jeep. Of course, basically every road I could find that wasn't private was plowed or salted. Did a little light off-roading but it's pretty scary in the snow since you don't know what is under there. Oh well, I guess next time I should go out much earlier...

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
It snowed at my house in North AL Sat. night/Sun. morning, but the ground was too warm for the snow to stick. There was enough on the deck for my kids and me to have a snowball fight, so that was fun.

What's funny is that we got about 2" of snow. Between our locations, locations received upwards of 12" !! Amazing!

You Southerners just gotta remember 1 thing. Just 'cuz you can get that SUV going in snow doesnt mean it will stop.

We (NE suburban Atlanta) got about 4" of snow yesterday, started falling about 10:30am and lasted most of the day. The ground is pretty warm so eventhough the flakes were large, the snow didn't last too long. Temps dropped below freezing last night and made everything an icy crusty mess this morning.

By 10am most of the ice was gone and the snow was melting. Some areas of Atlanta saw an inch or so, some got 5" plus. Driving 5 miles west of my house showed a fraction of the accumulation I got. West suburbs didn't get a lot of snow; south and north east got bombed. Athens, GA got about 7", Macon GA got about 1.5".

My mostly worn Firestones had a hard time backing out of my garage and up my snow encrusted driveway. The heavy slush wasn't a big problem but packed snow was. I didn't drive a lot yesterday but it seemed most people were pretty cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back