1.5 Year review of a Sun Joe electric tire pump.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
About a year and a half ago I purchased the normally $50 Sun Joe portable Lithium Ion battery air compressor/tire pump off Amazon for $30. It has been great. When received I gave it a full charge. To this day it has not been recharged. The list of jobs its performed his listed below.

When received I gave it a full charge overnight. First chore was to raise the tire pressure for the winter season on the Venza. 4 tires raised 4-5 psi each.
Countless small increases on the motorcycle tires. Let's say 50
Raised the pressure for winter in the Maverick about 8 months ago. 6-7 psi each
Have used on the riding mower to go up 3 psi on all four several times.

Yesterday I used it for the first time in months. My lady friend called and asked it I could check her air pressures. When she asks for help on her car, it usually needed the help months ago. I was a cool morning yesterday and her TPMS signaled a problem. Her pressure is supposed to be 32psi. When she arrived at my place for her pressure check the fronts were at 25 & 26psi. This was after being driven for 35 miles on a 95° day. So the TPMS was probably triggered by a 22psi or so reading on the sensor. Hooked up the Snow Joe and got started. Set them to 35psi cause they were still warm to the touch after a hour or so, and cooler weather is nigh. Each tire took about 2-3 minutes to raise the pressure 8-9psi depending on the tire. The compressor got hot after 2 tires so it received a 20 minute cooldown. No problem with the second two tires. Should I give it a charge at this time?

Very impressed by this inflator. I need to store this in the truck since the battery retention ability is so good. The exact model I bought is a Sun Joe that is identical to the unit in the link with a new name but same ole stuff. Marketing I think + a price increase. Maybe it's the case, no case for mine. .

Last edited:
Glad you like your purchase.
With the internet and new technologies, I'm always on the look-out for nicer tools than what I had 40 years ago.

Read the Owner's Manual for .... where to store the battery when NOT in use.
I keep lithium ion batteries (for OPE) in my cool basement.
That may not be praticle in your case, just be aware.

I have a Power Pack (for jump starting) that I keep in a canvas carry bag.
On a hot Summer day, I always bring it in the house.

Looks pretty neat. That is for the review.

Few months ago as I bought a portable compressor that’s both AC and DC powered so that it’s easier to use on my motorcycles, bicycles etc.
I saw the battery powered ones, however I didn’t trust the battery ones and I take Amazon reviews with a huge grain of salt.
I will keep this option in mind next time.

Back