Dino + Additive vs. Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 10W-30 High Mileage partially dissolved a bead of solid, oxidized vegetable oil when the bead was put in the heated motor oil for several hours. Yeah, I know...why would I do such a weird thing? Well, I saw the veggie oil bead on a cookie sheet and said "Hmmmm, I wonder..." I did the test just once so don't know if the partial dissolving that occured was something special for a motor oil to do. I find it promising though.

What? You must test some more!!!
blush.gif
Could there be truth behind the marketing of the new HM???
crazy.gif

Either M1 is bold face lying, or M1 HM can clean -

From M1 web site FAQ -

I thought Mobil 1 as a full synthetic already provided the protection my high-mileage car needs. Do I really need to switch off Mobil 1 to your High Mileage product for my high-mileage car?

I'm currently using Mobil Clean High Mileage with good results. Why should I change to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30, which costs more?

Why are you reintroducing Mobil 1 15W-50? Have there been any changes to the formulation, or is it identical to the previous product?

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

What's the difference between a fully synthetic and a synthetic blend motor oil?

What's the overall benefit of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology?

I thought Mobil 1 as a full synthetic already provided the protection my high-mileage car needs. Do I really need to switch off Mobil 1 to your High Mileage product for my high-mileage car?

Mobil 1 High Mileage is designed for high mileage vehicles that have been using conventional oils. It's true that most Mobil 1 vehicles with 75,000+ miles should be in excellent condition and would not require some of the Mobil 1 High Mileage benefits. However, most cars on the road today do not use synthetic oils, so we developed this oil specifically for these cars that would benefit from switching off conventional oil.

I'm currently using Mobil Clean High Mileage with good results. Why should I change to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30, which costs more?

If your vehicle has been maintained well, Mobil Clean High Mileage represents an excellent choice. However, if you believe your engine may have sludge through less-than-adequate maintenance practices, Mobil 1 High Mileage may be the more suitable selection. Mobil 1 High Mileage helps reduce the sludge that other oils can leave behind which can result in extended engine life. For severe cases where sludge and other heavy deposits are present, shorter oil change intervals of 3,000 miles are recommended as clean-up proceeds.

Brian, I can't promise another veggie sludge test (I have to see if I have any more veggie sludge beads) but will promise more tests on Mobil 1 10W-30 HM. In fact, I just set one up a few minutes ago. That oil and M1 0W-40 are on the heater overnight and will inspect tomorrow for insolubles formed. I did the same test about a month ago but am repeating it to be sure of the result.

M1 10W-30 HM does have very good viscometrics (pour point and HTHS combination) along with unusually low volatility and significantly lower aniline point than M1 5W-40 TDT...thanks to bruce381 for doing the aniline point tests. Aniline point is a measure of the solubility of the basestocks. M1 0W-40 has almost the same pour point, HTHS, and volatility as M1 10W-30 HM. A difference though is the kinematic viscosity at 100C which no doubt comes from polymeric viscosity index improvers used in the 0W-40. Both these oils are significantly less volatile than M1 5W-40 TDT. All this put together COULD mean that M1 10W-30 HM and M1 0W-40 have some significant use of esters. Unfortunately, with all of the possible ingredients, it could mean other things as well. It is certain that the basestocks themselves in M1 0W-40 and 10W-30 HM have more inherent solubility than M1 5W-40 TDT does. It is also certain that all 3 oils use very good basestock blends based on all of the tests I've done for years. Enough of me making educated guesses, let's let the test data speak.

I thought TDT was supposed to be one of M1's finest? Hmmm, what about the 10W40 HM. Did you see that HTHS of 4.06?

Yeah, I know ExxonMobil is bold with their creative wording, but when they state things such as saying that the HM oil is suited for oils that have seen conventional oil and severe service, extended drains, etc....it makes you wonder....

TDT is one of M1's finest. It's just made very differently from the other two oils, both in base oils and obviously additives.

I have not bought the 10W-40 HM. There is a UOA of it here though. If you want to search for it, the title only says Mobil 1 10W-40 [no HM or High Mileage]. It has quite a bit of detergents (calcium ___ and maybe sodium ___) in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back