Different Recommendations for Oil Filter?

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I’m writing because I’ve come across some conflicting information, and I thought that the knowledgeable folks here might be able to help.
I’ve been upgrading my oil and filter use since I began lurking here. Recently I changed the oil in my wife’s 2020 Subaru Ascent. I put in Mobil 1 Truck and SUV Q0W-20, and used a Mobil 1 108-A filter. I chose the filter based on the book at Walmart, and double checked on the Mobil website as well. Both said to go with the M108-A. In my internet journeys, however, I came across some conflicting information. I read somewhere on this forum that the M110-A is the equivalent of the Fram 7317, which is the correct size for this car (I had also picked up a TG and XG7317. Also, on the O’Reilly’s website, and on Amazon, the M110-A is the recommended filter for the Ascent. I feel like I should trust what Mobil themselves say, and be fine with the M108-A. I do like the larger size of the 110-A though. Am I doing damage to the engine by running the smaller filter?

You'll be fine regardless. That extra quarter of a quart of oil and a little extra filter media isn't going to be the difference between an engine that lasts 100k and an engine that lasts 300k.

Mobil has been making a lot of changes with their oil filters in recent years and it doesn't surprise me if you report seeing conflicting information and opinions. Use the most current information provided by their website or otherwise consider using a different brand oil filter, I recommend and use both the Fram 7317 series filters as well as the Wix 57055 oil filters on my Subarus.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve used Fram orange cans on my 2015 Forester, along with Supertech 0W-20, for 6k oci’s the last three years. She sounds and runs great, but my wife wants to put “the best” into her new car. After getting fleeced for a $176 oil change and 6k mile “18 point check” at the dealer for the first change, I convinced her to let me do the maintenance. I figured Mobil 1 was top of the line, so I went with that. In the future I’ll be moving to the better Frams, or one of the K&N’s I got on closeout for $5.50.

You've been lurking so you'll know you'll encounter multiple opinions. M1 has burned in my 19' Sorento, so I stopped using it and now use Pen Plat or Castrol, all full synth and OEM filter. I don't want to give Kia any more warranty ammunition. As for your oil and filter, any API certified full synth from Walmart with a good filter will do. Maintenance is far more important than brand of oil or filter. Every 5 - 7k miles. Hundreds of pics have been posted from people changing their valve cover gaskets and all the innards, without exception, look perfect when they changed their oil and filter on time. You're not going to squeeze "X" more miles if you use M1, or Castrol, or Valvoline, or whatever.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve used Fram orange cans on my 2015 Forester, along with Supertech 0W-20, for 6k oci’s the last three years. She sounds and runs great, but my wife wants to put “the best” into her new car. After getting fleeced for a $176 oil change and 6k mile “18 point check” at the dealer for the first change, I convinced her to let me do the maintenance. I figured Mobil 1 was top of the line, so I went with that. In the future I’ll be moving to the better Frams, or one of the K&N’s I got on closeout for $5.50.
I think I'd refuse to purchase that brand vehicle again if they are allowed to do that. What do they think you drive, a bee mw?

I’ve dealt with that dealership in a number of occasions, and have had very positive experiences. I was a bit shocked at the price for that service. What exactly needs to be “checked” at 6k that isn’t already part of the standard oil change service?

The dealership charged labor for the 18 point check?

My local VW dealership does that for free, in order to upsell things...

Either they charged labor for the check, or for the oil change. ‘Maybe I should call and inquire.

So I did call an inquire. The dealership (Planet Subaru in Hanover, MA) has a program where, if you do all of your service at the dealer, they will give you free tires and batteries for the life of the car, and a free extended 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty. But the catch is, you have to pay $100 for the 6k 18 at every oil change. I did the math, and it’s cheaper to just buy the tires, batteries, and an extended warranty than it is to participate in the program. But for those who like going to the dealer for peace of mind, it’s a nice program.

The dealer oil change should of been free with warranty I would of demanded it be free. Now for me I’m not too big on the Fram but that’s just my opinion. I’m more of a Wix or Bosch or K&N person. Mobil 1 filters are fine too. Mobil 1 oil is good oil so it’s fine that you used that. And welcome to the Forum too.

So I did call an inquire. The dealership (Planet Subaru in Hanover, MA) has a program where, if you do all of your service at the dealer, they will give you free tires and batteries for the life of the car, and a free extended 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty. But the catch is, you have to pay $100 for the 6k 18 at every oil change. I did the math, and it’s cheaper to just buy the tires, batteries, and an extended warranty than it is to participate in the program. But for those who like going to the dealer for peace of mind, it’s a nice program.

I have worked at one of the top Subaru dealerships in the country and a few years ago they were offering a free tires and brakes for life promotion on all new vehicles except for the WRX, STi, and BRZ. The only catch was that you had to pay a $249 fee up front plus have ALL your recommended maintenance completed at that dealership with very limited exception. You literally only got the cheapest tires and brake pads for replacement but still had to pay for installation, etc not to mention how much the recommended maintenance service fees were.

Back to the oil filter subject, I am not a fan of Mobil 1 oil filters. I have used Fram, Wix, and K&N oil filters on my Subarus all with good results. The Fram Ultra (aka Titanium) 7317 is my favorite.

The dealer oil change should of been free with warranty I would of demanded it be free. Now for me I’m not too big on the Fram but that’s just my opinion. I’m more of a Wix or Bosch or K&N person. Mobil 1 filters are fine too. Mobil 1 oil is good oil so it’s fine that you used that. And welcome to the Forum too.

Unless the vehicle includes a maintenance package, or the customer bought one, the maintenance would not be free regardless if the vehicle is under warranty or not.

Im sure i'm about to start a fight but here goes.

1) Mobil one filters are Mann + Hummel products made (probably) in Purolators NC plant. Based on recent examples (including the M1-110A I posted) they are not worth the cost.

2) IIRC m1-108 is the short (nissan) version of the 7317. No reason at all it won't work though and I would stay on label (catalog) for your filter. (was the factory filter short or long)

3) You will never - ever realize an appreciable difference in the car over it is life time using virtually any catalog filter that is not defective at reasonable intervals.

4) If it was my car I would go to the dealer and get filters, based on the fact most aftermarket filters do not actually meet Subarus specs (bypass) I would not give them an out under warranty. It is not like oil consumption and such is unheard of....

5) if i was going to run an aftermarket filter out of warranty, Id run an XG7317 or the Titanium version, and probably run the filter 2OCI.

Depends if your wife is happy you did it the way you liked. That’s a pretty expensive new car. I would get the filter at a dealer, maybe the oil too if they sell Subaru oil. The cost is so minimal compared to the car value. For a few years anyway, then experiment.

Back