Budget <4$ oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Zee09
..... buy a Fram Ultra and run it two to three oci's
Much less work and a superior filter.
This really is the best scenario, honestly
True. Claiming low price is critical, yet insisting on needlessly short change intervals is thoroughly illogical and inconsistent. It doesn't even have to be the Ultra.

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
Originally Posted by diyjake
What oil are you using? Also for your STI I would definitely switch from K&N to Fram Ultra, the Ultra is a much better filter and cheaper. K&N isn't as great as most people think.

The 3 commuters get whatever synthetic is cheapest, usually I just pickup a bunch of supertech, I don't do long OCIs.
The STI gets K&N because it has a really thick and strong can; this car has a built motor with a big turbo and it rarely gets driven.. usually sits in my garage with a battery tender on.

What's the point of using SuperTech when a brand name quality synthetic can be had for less after rebate?

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Yea I have noticed some makers are combining the Nissan and Honda filter to the shorter version for both now. I buy the Honda filters as I have not found a Nissan they did not fit yet.

That smaller filter is being used by quick lubes for a while, it also fits newer Subarus but I'd be leery of using them for that particular application for fear of media tears or the filter in bypass.

Gotta listen to the better filter used for 2 OCIs advice.
I just did a 2005 Civic with the Fram UG7317 (or whatever it was) and will simply do a spill and fill next time.
Plus, those mean ol' Honda engineers just had to put the filter up high in the back of the engine...

Just my thoughts...

AutoZone has a blue STP blue Premium Guard for $4.99. Run it for say 2 runs of 5k miles.... The PG is a solid filter and will do just fine.

Or.. Fram orange can 7317 for $3.77... home Depot has them and WW. Do the same thing...

I like the Premium Guard filters and Fram orange for a entry level filter...

New cars

Synthetic oil

Cheap filter ?????

Why?

If you really needed to trim something, I'd run a cheaper oil before a cheaper filter.

The new blue ST's don't have a 7317 size? Since you use a lot of filters buy in bulk and the Ultra can be had for $5 I think. Change it every time, who is worrying about saving $5 once a year, it isn't 1950 anymore, or is it? Besides data shows the filters clean best when new.
05.gif

For the Civic, just get the Fram PH7317 at Walmart. It now has a silicone ADBV and is essentially an A02.

For the Subarus:
AAP has the CQ Red R84055 for $4.99, so with a promo code you can get it for even less
smile.gif

Napa occasionally has sales on their filters, so get the appropriate 7055 filter for them.

i second the supertech option if the blue ones come in a 9688, i know they did when they were wix made.

and they might not be ecore, i picked up a blue ST6607 last week and its not an e-core.

Originally Posted by rsalan
Originally Posted by MrWideTires
Originally Posted by diyjake
What oil are you using? Also for your STI I would definitely switch from K&N to Fram Ultra, the Ultra is a much better filter and cheaper. K&N isn't as great as most people think.

The 3 commuters get whatever synthetic is cheapest, usually I just pickup a bunch of supertech, I don't do long OCIs.
The STI gets K&N because it has a really thick and strong can; this car has a built motor with a big turbo and it rarely gets driven.. usually sits in my garage with a battery tender on.

What's the point of using SuperTech when a brand name quality synthetic can be had for less after rebate?

I think you nailed it.

Just FYI the Premium Guard filter PG4615 has the Subaru recommended 23 psi bypass setting. They are $1.68 at RA and are really a decent filter for an excellent price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sw99
Just FYI the Premium Guard filter PG4615 has the Subaru recommended 23 psi bypass setting. They are $1.68 at RA and are really a decent filter for an excellent price.

Really not a fan of the whole mfr. recommended bypass discussion. The pressure bypass in the filter is a result of the media used in said filter, NOT the engine it goes on

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
Originally Posted by sw99

Really not a fan of the whole mfr. recommended bypass discussion. The pressure bypass in the filter is a result of the media used in said filter, NOT the engine it goes on

The engine it goes on could also have a bearing on the bypass setting. If an engine uses a thicker viscosity and has a really high volume oil pump, then that needs to be part of the design equation. Most vehicles use similar oil viscosity and have similar oil pump max output, so one filter model may work on 100 different vehicles, but may not be a good match for a few outliers.

If a filter's media flows very well (low delta-p) with high flow, then the bypass setting doesn't need to be set as high. The guys designing filters at the filter companies should be able to determine what the expected max delta-p will be for any vehicle knowing the specified viscosity and max oil pump volume.

FWIW, I agree with the PH7317 @ $3.77 being a good choice.

You could also easily run a XG7317 for 3 changes and bring your cost per 5000 mi under 4.00 even buying one at a time at retail...

There are other viable alternatives as factory Honda filters (and probably factory Subaru filters) can be bought in quantity for prices approaching $4.00 each if you watch amazon carefully. A02 filters are actually not that similar to PH7317 filters as I try to point out when I see this falsehood perpetuated as it repeatedly is, the A02 has more media (which is less efficient media) and a metal seam clamp not seen in either TG or PH 7317. One need only look at my cut opens to see the seam clamp.

Does Honda still say every other oil change, filter change? If so, about $5 for any OEM filter, just buy that and leave it on for 2 changes (if the owner's manual still says every other). Or a higher quality filter that's "meant" for longer drains that averages to less than $4.

Rock Auto maybe has something cheap, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back