Did Fram switch back to nitrile adbvs?

I have two Fram Extra Guards I just bought for some mowers I have to service. One is a PH3614, the other is a PH4967. Both bought from Amazon. The PH3614 has a silicone ADBV, and the PH4967 has a purple ADBV that I can't really tell what it is.

View attachment 94833View attachment 94834
That's a Royal Purple ADBV! No extra charge! Maybe they just were running out of ADBVs, had to use whatever they had.

I bought 2 PH6607 for the Mazda for $3.33Cdn each on Amazon promotion. Both state 16000km performance and Silicon ADBV on the box. Actual metric info. Limited to 2 per Amazon account. One is on the Mazda for the summer.
F52035E4-E123-42D2-A0DA-5EA461C24C5D.jpeg
I never exceed 8000kms so they should work fine. It amazes me they use such a tiny filter on engines up to 3.7 litres on Nissan/Infinity.

80F49109-478A-46F2-8C80-58EFBF718DF4.jpg

Last edited:
I bought 2 PH6607 for the Mazda for $3.33Cdn each on Amazon promotion. Both state 16000km performance and Silicon ADBV on the box. Actual metric info. Limited to 2 per Amazon account. One is on the Mazda for the summer. I never exceed 8000kms so they should work fine. It amazes me they use such a tiny filter on engines up to 3.7 litres on Nissan/Infinity.
The Fram 7317 (3.469 inches long) is the longer version of the 6607 (2.625 inches long) is you have room for a 0.85 inch longer filter.

The Fram 7317 (3.469 inches long) is the longer version of the 6607 (2.625 inches long) is you have room for a 0.85 inch longer filter.
+1

My family has a few Hondas I maintain and noticed that the 7317 is also cheaper, probably since it is more widely used.

Still not a scientific lab test and I love the disclaimer notes at the bottom of that page...
This certainly is a scientific method. The first step in identifying an unknown is to examine physical characteristics such as color of vapors when burned and odor. When looking at used lubricant samples (especially complex materials such as grease or OGL), the first things I always look at is color, odor and texture. When looking to identify elastomers I would burn them to observe the color and nature of the smoke/vapors. I would also place a small piece in a test tube which I drew into a retort. I then heated the bulb of the retort to produce vapors from the elastomer sample. These were directed out through the tip and onto litmus paper to measure vapor pH.

There are other analytical methods for identifying materials but simple methods are valid as well.

This certainly is a scientific method. The first step in identifying an unknown is to examine physical characteristics such as color of vapors when burned and odor. When looking at used lubricant samples (especially complex materials such as grease or OGL), the first things I always look at is color, odor and texture. When looking to identify elastomers I would burn them to observe the color and nature of the smoke/vapors. I would also place a small piece in a test tube which I drew into a retort. I then heated the bulb of the retort to produce vapors from the elastomer sample. These were directed out through the tip and onto litmus paper to measure vapor pH.

There are other analytical methods for identifying materials but simple methods are valid as well.
I would settle for a certified lab myself....

Still black adbv...this is not great. Ordered from Amazon ph4967. Date code A20061...early March 2022. 😫 I will still use it for 5k.
Edit:I emailed them for an explanation.

Attachments

• 20220407_191618.jpg
    20220407_191618.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Still black adbv...this is not great. Ordered from Amazon ph4967. Date code A20061...early March 2022. 😫 I will still use it for 5k.
Edit:I emailed them for an explanation.
Actually, the date code is the 6th day of 2022 (Jan 6).

I take it you emailed Fram? Good luck with that.

Nitrile ok for ~5k miles.
I've run nitrile for 6k without issue in my 2008 Jeep 3.8. If the drainback valve fails, I get plenty of noise on cold starts. I know this because 2008-era Mobil 1 filters for this application had an anti drainback valve that didn't work at the angle at which this engine's filter is mounted. It was a well known issue. I switched to Motorcraft and later Fram filters, but ran a few cheapos here and there with nitrile valves and they never failed. I've run Fram Ultras to 18k (3 OCI's) on it with no issue, but those are all silicone, at least for now.

I've run nitrile for 6k without issue in my 2008 Jeep 3.8....
Why I put (~)before the 5k, give or take. 6k not much of stretch in many/most cases, especially in a shorter time frame. And likely many vehicles running quick lube filters with nitrile adbv going significantly farther than that. That's one of the things I'm not a fan with quick lube services. Even with synthetic oil they run a jobber filter with nitrile adbv. If one can find an indy shop that will let you bring your filter of choice (and oil), the way to go imo. Like @53' Stude does for some folks.

In this case with haggler though, said orange can is now rated to 10k miles based on it having a silicone adbv.

I've run nitrile for 6k without issue in my 2008 Jeep 3.8. If the drainback valve fails, I get plenty of noise on cold starts. I know this because 2008-era Mobil 1 filters for this application had an anti drainback valve that didn't work at the angle at which this engine's filter is mounted. It was a well known issue. I switched to Motorcraft and later Fram filters, but ran a few cheapos here and there with nitrile valves and they never failed. I've run Fram Ultras to 18k (3 OCI's) on it with no issue, but those are all silicone, at least for now.
Yes no doubt. The OEM acdelco filters use nitrile and the OLM on those usually calls it around 6-8k, maybe up to 10k. I've personally take one off at 7k and it held up. The annoying part of all this is they didn't at least put a sticker or something on the box; to the laymen folks they will use this filter with no question but to the BITOG constituents it's blatantly subpar and deceptive. I would be understanding of the supply shortages in this environment if they provided some notice or sticker on the box itself. I would be even more pissed if I paid 6.82 for a tough guard and it came with nitrile, but for 3.88 this is comparable to a dealer part. I only do 5k changes for the toyota anyway (although the A25-FKS is very easy on oil).

Back