Did Fram switch back to nitrile adbvs?

Was going to pick up an oil filter for my next oil change and the Fram EGs and TGs have black adbvs. Or are their silicone adbvs black now? I remember in the past rubber was always black and silicone was always orange. They also went up a couple of bucks.

If this is old news and I missed it my apologies in advance!👍

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's a supply chain thing, "shrinkflation," or just the evolution of the business and products, but it seems harder and harder to get a decent oil filter at any price, or at least a good value proposition per dollar.

I've been watching cut-open and inspection videos on the YouTube channel, Whip City Wrencher (he does filter Fridays) and am watching the products become more uniform, cost cut, price-jacked and unremarkable. At this point, a boxed filter feels like the old Forrest Gump movie quote. Guess we'll have to seek out NOS filters, but that comes with its own drawbacks. I know my post doesn't really contribute much, but this is rather frustrating. Certain models are out of stock at a variety of stores (Walmart, O'Reilly, Autozone, Menards, etc, etc) and it feels as though oil filters are the next product becoming harder to find and a poorer value.

I'm not sure if it's a supply chain thing, "shrinkflation," or just the evolution of the business and products, but it seems harder and harder to get a decent oil filter at any price, or at least a good value proposition per dollar.

I've been watching cut-open and inspection videos on the YouTube channel, Whip City Wrencher (he does filter Fridays) and am watching the products become more uniform, cost cut, price-jacked and unremarkable. At this point, a boxed filter feels like the old Forrest Gump movie quote. Guess we'll have to seek out NOS filters, but that comes with its own drawbacks. I know my post doesn't really contribute much, but this is rather frustrating. Certain models are out of stock at a variety of stores (Walmart, O'Reilly, Autozone, Menards, etc, etc) and it feels as though oil filters are the next product becoming harder to find and a poorer value.
This.

Nitrile doesn't have to be black, and silicone doesn't have to be any color other than black. Either one can be any color that the manufacturer chooses. Case in point... most silicone windshield wiper blades are black, and most nitrile gloves are NOT black. The natural color of nitrile rubber is yellow.

Nitrile burns a certain way, with dense, black smoke; silicone puts off almost no smoke at all. That's what the tests were in that thread. Fortunately all my orange cans have matching orange silicone ADBVs!
So what Scientific Lab did this testing???? I have not seen any posted just a few posts of some people sticking it in a freezer and burning them....If you could provide the Labs name and the written results that would be nice...

You didn't say a lab... I think it was the "BITOG Oil Filter Testing Facility" or similar. Spending $15-20 to buy 3 EGs, cut them apart, & set the ADBVs on fire is enough for me-although I'm sure Ascent Filtration would be happy to test 3 of them for ~$5 grand?

You didn't say a lab... I think it was the "BITOG Oil Filter Testing Facility" or similar. Spending $15-20 to buy 3 EGs, cut them apart, & set the ADBVs on fire is enough for me-although I'm sure Ascent Filtration would be happy to test 3 of them for ~$5 grand?
Well you just answered my question... NO to a Scientific Lab test...

A simple burn test is a decent screening method of polymer identification. I've done it many times.

A simple burn test is a decent screening method of polymer identification. I've done it many times.

Still not a scientific lab test and I love the disclaimer notes at the bottom of that page...

No-but I'm sure we would be looking for volunteers! Honestly, for under $4/an average EG, I was surprised when they went silicone in the first place. Tough Guards are looking better all the time!
The TGs all have black adbvs too:cry:. EGs were $5 and TGs were $8.

Back