Supertech MP3614

What model in Motorcraft? It would be better IMO since no combo valve, and is approx same efficiency as the ST. I'm not fond of the combo valve design either, lol.
I’m not sure how the combo valve works on the Supertech. I understand how it unseats in the old Napa pro select filters but this Champ made ST filter is different. It uses a separate set of holes under the valve to return oil to the car.

I’m not sure how the combo valve works on the Supertech. I understand how it unseats in the old Napa pro select filters but this Champ made ST filter is different. It uses a separate set of holes under the valve to return oil to the car.
Yes, the combo valve design seems different, but personally I don't like relying of nitrile rubber to consitanty operate as a bypass valve. I'd rather have a metal spring doing that job.

Not sure how well you can see this but I stand corrected. At Walmart tonight and this ST3614 has a separate orange bypass valve. So the difference you get for $2 is metal end caps.

Attachments

• A8123D59-7D8F-4C3D-9326-4B3F46DC5638.jpeg
    A8123D59-7D8F-4C3D-9326-4B3F46DC5638.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 43283208-597C-409A-8A72-BD82767C5BF6.jpeg
    43283208-597C-409A-8A72-BD82767C5BF6.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 38
Not sure how well you can see this but I stand corrected. At Walmart tonight and this ST3614 has a separate orange bypass valve. So the difference you get for $2 is metal end caps.
Thanks for pics, and sure enough separate dome bypass now. Imo, a real improvement for the ST3614.

So, you can tell/see the ST3614 still uses polyester caps? I was going to say it likely switched to metal like the MP too. MP series uses silicone adbv, or is supposed to.

Thanks for pics, and sure enough separate dome bypass now. Imo, a real improvement for the ST3614.

So, you can tell/see the ST3614 still uses polyester caps? I was going to say it likely switched to metal like the MP too. MP series uses silicone adbv, or is supposed to.
Yes, still has different end caps. Also note that the baseplate gasket is about twice as thick on the MP. Who knows why?

Yes, still has different end caps. Also note that the baseplate gasket is about twice as thick on the MP. Who knows why?
Makes the ST3614 like the previous ACDelco Oil filters design. Before the metal caps ones came out, they used same type set up, polyester caps, separate dome bypass. ACD never used combo valve on the for GM vehicle applications. No idea why gasket thicker, but doesn't hurt.

Back