Did Fram switch back to nitrile adbvs?

Someone awhile back said it could be a supply issue. I'd bet that's the most likely explanation if they are indeed nitrile.

So with nitrile, maybe they've changed the chemistry to make them last longer? Has anyone run one of these out to a longer OCI, like 10k or further? If I get my hands on one with the black ADBV, I'll run it in my 3.8 to at least 12k. If it makes it to 12k and is still working, then I'd be confident they are fine, even if nitrile. As I said before, that engine will speak to me clearly on every cold start if the valve fails. I'll go out of my way to try and find one at Wally world next time I'm in there. I have an oil change coming up. The XG in it now is at 16k miles right now, so it'll be time to change it when it hits 18k. I'd imagine it has the orange ADBV because it was put in there a long time ago, but the engine is still quiet at startup. But we know the silicone works out to 20k and maybe beyond.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
Someone awhile back said it could be a supply issue. I'd bet that's the most likely explanation if they are in deed nitrile.

So with nitrile, maybe they've changed the chemistry to make them last longer? Has anyone run one of these out to a longer OCI, like 10k or further? If I get my hands on one with the black ADBV, I'll run it in my 3.8 to at least 12k. If it makes it to 12k and is still working, then I'd be confident they are fine, even if nitrile. As I said before, that engine will speak to me clearly on every cold start if the valve fails. I'll go out of my way to try and find one at Wally world next time I'm in there.
The filtering media has a better chance of being compromised vs the nitrile adbv failing running beyond the recommended interval.

The filtering media has a better chance of being compromised vs the nitrile adbv failing running beyond the recommended interval.
Nobody's talking about running beyond the interval. An XG is rated to 20k. The big $10 question is will the nitrile (if it is nitrile) last to the filter's claim of 20k? My current XG will be at 18k when pulled out of service. But I am certain it is a silicone ADBV. It went in there long before the black ones were noticed. It was installed in July of 2021 at 155.5k. It'll come out at 173k to 174k, so maybe it'll push to 18.5k. But it is doing fine. Cold starts are smooth and quiet. It is an XG3614, btw.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the EG rating increase to 10k miles was based on the change to silicone adbv. If the black is nitrile, which has now been proven several ways, (controlled freezer test and burn test) then it's back to the previous ~5k mi rating?

Fwiw, I didn't have a problem with them using nitrile because of supply chain issues. Said that early on when black adbv showed up on the EG. Otoh, saying it was an old stock, new stock situation or that it was/is "black silicone", that's something else entirely. Using them on the 15k rated TG though, no bueno.

@53' Stude has cut and posted a few oil filters with pretty hard and non-flexible ADBVs. Yes, they would most likely have to be ran beyond their specified use rating or where on an engine that got really hot for some reason to do that. As mentioned, oil filters rated for longer OCIs will most likely have a silicone ADBV because nitrile will degrade faster the longer and hotter it is used.

If you're talking about the media tearing, that's a whole different failure mechanism (wide pleat spacing and weak/brittle media). Some filters have been found to tear even if used way below their recommended use mileage.

Last edited:
If you're talking about the media tearing, that's a whole different failure mechanism (wide pleat spacing and weak/brittle media). Some filters have been found to tear if used way below their recommended use mileage.
Speaking of media.. has anyone ever come across the fiberous end caps separating?

RE: Did Fram switch back to nitrile ADBV's?
Forgive me if this has already been stated... I just got off the phone with a rep from Fram: they stated that during the pandemic (due a shortage of silicone) the extra guard line came out with nitrile vs. silicone ADBV's.
The rep also stated they've returned to silicone for some time.

Forgive me if this has already been stated... I just got off the phone with a rep from Fram: they stated that during the pandemic (due a shortage of silicone) the extra guard line came out with nitrile vs. silicone ADBV's.
I was at Walmart yesterday and looked at about 6 or 7 of the most popular Fram PH models and they all had orange silicone ADBVs.

I was at Walmart yesterday and looked at about 6 or 7 of the most popular Fram PH models and they all had orange silicone ADBVs.
Same here. Was in Walmart the other day and the silicones are back. NOS maybe? Or were the nitrile a production glitch?

Edit:
I just now read Mbr's post (y)

Nice that CS that gave you the straight scoop (for the most part), as shown in this thread, hasn't always been the case. Additionally, nitrile also showed up on TG.

It's simple for EG/TG, if it's black it's nitrile, orange it's silicone. Want silicone, pick orange.

Agree to an extent, topic beaten into ground. Otoh, had FB/Fram CS been up front (like OP's response) from the jump, much of it could have been alleviated.

Passed by Walmart today. Every TG and many orange cans had silicon. But I will say this. Even during the time Fram supposedly fell victim to supplier shortages, Super Tech MP continued to have blue silicon ADBV.

Passed by Walmart today. Every TG and many orange cans had silicon. But I will say this. Even during the time Fram supposedly fell victim to supplier shortages, Super Tech MP continued to have blue silicon ADBV.
I recently bought a TG7317 at Walmart, and it was silicone. While I was there, I checked a Super Tech MP7317 - it was nitrile.

Back