Derailleur sludge!

I wonder if corrosion isn't part of the mix on the surface. Corrosion would hold the sludge better. Test a spot with solvent and an old toothbrush.

Sand itself is horrible for wear.

I wonder if corrosion isn't part of the mix on the surface. Corrosion would hold the sludge better. Test a spot with solvent and an old toothbrush.

Sand itself is horrible for wear.
Oh sure. When he got the trike the chain was dry and he didn't lube it until I pointed out it was rusty. It was only a few weeks after he had received the trike that I saw the mess.

This trike has the worst components. The brakes come with the cheapest Shimano-labeled (knockoffs?) handles and the calipers are unbranded garbage that take Shimano pads. There's no pad adjustment dial on either caliper. The cotter pins that held the pads in were so short they were barely long enough to be bent open. two one-quarter-inch longer cotter pins weren't in the budget. There's surface rust on every part that's not aluminum.
I can't get over that!

$3500 for the thing and it has the same $15 derailleur found on a walmart bike.

Clean it with a pressure washer.
I'm not going anywhere near Sparky when it's wet. I try not to sneeze near this thing. The 48 Volt battery isn't even fused. The electronic control unit isn't fused. The electronics are not in a sealed box but only have a top cover. There's an electrician's bird's nest visibly exposed.

Why are you even looking at this POS? Is the owner handicapped or disadvantaged in some way and you feel obligated to help him? If so, I respect that but does it makes sense when he won't even help himself by taking your advice?

Why are you even looking at this POS? Is the owner handicapped or disadvantaged in some way and you feel obligated to help him? If so, I respect that but does it makes sense when he won't even help himself by taking your advice?
He has Parkinson's and that condition can also affect the mind.

Reactions: JTK
Looks like it's been over lubricated with the wrong lubricant and driven where there's dirt, grit and never cleaned off. Clean it up and it will be fine.

He has Parkinson's and that condition can also affect the mind.
He is fortunate to have your help!

If he's not capable of getting this trike home if it fails, I'd replace the derailleur and chain, or spot clean a "little" of it first to see how bad it is. If he refuses to do this, at least you had his best interests at heart. Since he has the money, don't do extra work for free, should be worth your time.

Fellers, in the first post I already said:
Not my trike. This is an E-trike that is operated in a marine environment with sand, salt water spray, constantly changing temperatures, and often high humidity. This trike is only ten months old. I explained the different types of chain lubricants and the owner opted for motor oil anyway. I also had told him to wipe the chain down after lubricating it. Clearly he never did that. Since he's disabled he can't access the derailleur. I found this mess when I changed the disc brake pads on his trike. I did clean up the derailleur which appears to be of poor quality. I don't want to know why there's so much pubic hair stuck in the goop. Just gross.
I also cleaned the chain, something he's physically not really able to do properly. Surprisingly, the chain is still okay I checked with a chain wear indicator tool. I expect he's mostly riding with a high amount of pedal assist.

Not sure about the lube I should use because he's not going to maintain the chain well. He'll likely just sloppily wipe the chain down, apply the lube, then wipe the excess off as well as he can. A dry lube isn't really suitable. While he won't ride in the rain it can get misty and there will be condensation and saltwater spray. it's also a sandy environment. Rust is definitely a problem. The problem with the wet lube is that he just pours it on the top of the chain and he can't really wipe the chain down easily. You can't backpedal and run the chain through a cloth on this trike. A wet lube becomes a sand magnet. I think I've figured out the origin of the hairs that got stuck in the derailleur. They must be dog hairs because he gives dogs treats while sitting on his trike.

On my bike, which I use in dry and hot, and in moist and sandy environments I use Dumonde Tech, which is a dry lube. It can be somewhat of a dust and sand magnet but it's the best compromise I have found that works for me. I don't think Dumonde Tech would work for the trike, though. I think he'd end up with a rusty chain and he'd have to lube the chain every few days.

Last edited:
Still waiting on pics after clean up...

I'd use chain lube like Silkolene or Honda brand. I've used it on mountain bikes and ATV's and never had any buildup of gunk. I think it's formulated to not attract.

Actually looks like there is corrosion under the crap.
That's because he let the chain get rusty before he ever put lube on it. I gave him a bottle of boiled linseed oil for his rusting cargo basket. I think he may have put linseed oil on the chain at some point. I get a whiff of it when I get close to the chain. Linseed oil would explain the sludge. I told him it's not a lubricant.

With all those crappy parts (brakes especially) I hope he isn't actually riding it at 37 MPH. That thing will roll like a tumbleweed if he ever takes a turn too quickly!
I suspect he likes the idea of going out in a blaze of glory and in a jumble of cheap Chinese parts. The fork broke going uphill because it couldn't handle the torque the 750W motor provides. The electronic control unit overheated and died going uphill because there is no overheat protection. The mechanical brakes are undersized Shimano knockoffs and are barely passable on a level surface. The trike with its extra large battery weighs over 120 lbs, he weighs another 260 lbs. That's a baby rhino coming at you at probably over 40 mph downhill. Another problem with a trike like that is that you can't steer well at higher speeds. You can't lean on a trike.

Two weeks ago I replaced the ill-fitting hub bolts. Right one was no problem. The hex head on the left one was stripped. I extracted it. Replaced it with a new black oxide-coated high carbon steel M8 bolt. Used orange threadlocker and 18 ft-lbs torque. The hub bolt still kept coming loose because it's a right hand thread on a left turning wheel. I suspect the threads on the axle are damaged from him riding the bike with a loose hub bolt half the time.I will use red threadlocker next. Probably should epoxy it in. 😁 However, the left side wheel bearings have become noisy, so I have to replace those first.

I had my friend ask the vendor for a service manual. There's none besides the quick assembly guide that is useless as far as repairs are concerned.

Back