Dentist....teeth cleaning

Deep cleaning sounds like what they recommend to new patients who haven't seen a dentist - any dentist - for decades.

I wonder how many of us floss everyday.
🖐. 46 and still have all my teeth with no major work done. Only time I had a cavity was when I switched to an electric toothbrush over 20 years ago, so I went back to a manual brush immediately after the cavity.

Last edited:
Can you ask friends or family for a referral to a reputable dentist? I would avoid any dentist offering freebees to get you in the door. But if 3 have recommended it, it just might be needed.

They tell her because she is diabetic etc....which goes against what the medical doctor told her.....she would need to take anti-biotics fora week before....and unless it some major problem very very few every need them....like one in 400-500....
When the one last dentist told her she does not know what she is talking about she told him she is an ICU nurse and he was full of it...and walked out.
Yep dentists aren't "real doctors" with an MD or DO. They do not take the MCAT, or go to medical school. It's a shame some people look at patients as gold mines:

Last edited:
I have dental implaints but my GF and wife did not....she is new in this area and looking for a dentist....we get all these "free xray....blah blah ....plus free cleaning on your first visit.
However the first visit turns into some special "deep cleaning" that cost 1400+ bucks ...we are retired so no ins. Yesterday was the 3rd time she was had this "deep cleaning" scam run buy her......I told her before you make another at give me the phone and i will flat ask is this some scam that suppose to be free that really cost 1400......or some yearly deal you prepay....everythig is turning into a "vacation home" style sales pitch....
Next it going to be before the doctor will see you we have this yearly prepaid medical deal for only 1200 you get upto 6 exams in person and two by phone! rant over....

As a 2x looser in the world of marriage, I must bow to you! GF and a wife? It's difficult to keep one happy and you are dealing with 2! Or did you mean GF is also your wife?

I retired a littler over a year ago. I'm blessed with a Cadillac medical plan at no cost but am stuck with no dental or vision coverage post-retirement. I spoke to my long-time dentist and it was rather simple. He offers me the same cost as if I had the same insurance I did for the last 21 years. Cleaning and X-Rays is about $175 last time I had it done which was January IIRC.

From what you mentioned in the OP it sounds like the dentist your/she is using is more of a cosmetic dentist? We have a few of them around here, often eastern European dentists and they are constantly moving around and usually do not last more than a few years. Not exactly a scam but sure not the most reputable dentists.

🖐. 46 and still have all my teeth with no major work done. Only time I had a cavity was when I switched to an electric toothbrush over 20 years ago, so I went back to a manual brush immediately after the cavity.
*raises hand*

Same here. Only thing I've had done was braces for about 3 1/2 years. Have to sleep with retainers for the rest of your life to avoid your teeth shifting back.

I brush, floss, Listerine, whitening/flouride mouthwash after every meal (three times a day).

A deep cleaning/srp "scaling and root planing" is where they clean the calculus and plaque off of your teeth that has developed under the gumline causing boneloss in either the mandibular or maxillary bone in addition to what has developed on the surface. They also probe the gums to measure the pocketing that forms aound each tooth that can hold plaque/calculus and work to reattach it to prevent further infiltration deep into the gums. If genuinely medically necessary its to prevent your teeth from slowly loosening and detaching or prevent infections under the gumline requiring periodontal incisions to drain. The office I work at charges 362 per quadrant so if all 4 were needed it would come out to 1448. Its considered on the high end but most offices in our area are around 1200ish for all 4. If you have an in network insurance plan like delta you'd only end up paying around $340.

Yep dentists are "real doctors" with an MD or DO. They do not take the MCAT, or go to medical school. It's a shame some people look at patients as gold mines:
They do take the DAT which is extremely similar to the mcat, go through 4 years of professional schooling similar to medical school with the addition of extreme amounts of labwork, take board exams and other things. They're doctors that specialize in the oral cavity.

As a 2x looser in the world of marriage, I must bow to you! GF and a wife? It's difficult to keep one happy and you are dealing with 2! Or did you mean GF is also your wife?

I retired a littler over a year ago. I'm blessed with a Cadillac medical plan at no cost but am stuck with no dental or vision coverage post-retirement. I spoke to my long-time dentist and it was rather simple. He offers me the same cost as if I had the same insurance I did for the last 21 years. Cleaning and X-Rays is about $175 last time I had it done which was January IIRC.

From what you mentioned in the OP it sounds like the dentist your/she is using is more of a cosmetic dentist? We have a few of them around here, often eastern European dentists and they are constantly moving around and usually do not last more than a few years. Not exactly a scam but sure not the most reputable dentists.
No my wife died years ago now....gf just started early 2020

They do take the DAT which is extremely similar to the mcat, go through 4 years of professional schooling similar to medical school with the addition of extreme amounts of labwork, take board exams and other things. They're doctors that specialize in the oral cavity.
My mistake, I mean aren't. I'm sure it isn't easy getting in to dental school but you won't see them in a hospital setting and they usually have restricted prescription writing privileges.

Can you ask friends or family for a referral to a reputable dentist? I would avoid any dentist offering freebees to get you in the door. But if 3 have recommended it, it just might be needed.
No she has perfect teeth for 62......her MD said it was B.S. and being diabetic....is where this deep cleaning claim comes from......you really have to be very very carefull.....and has heard of people getting sepsis and dying from it....in rare cases

New dentists are terrible. Whatever you do don't go to dentistry schools for care. I went to Midwestern dentistry school in Illinois and regret it. All they want to do is pull teeth and replace with implants. I don't think they teach these students how to save teeth anymore. I'm 60 with all my teeth except for 2 crowns,one of which I had done at the school which ended up after 4 visits costing the same as if I had it done by a professional. They use cheap filling composite that fails and allows decay after only one year if you do get a cavity. I'd rather pay the little extra and have a professional job done by someone in private practice. Took me months to find a new dentist over 50 that was taught the right way

I recently had my teeth "Deep Cleaned". When my hygienist suggested and described it, I said it sounds like Scaling, as user HyundaiAbuser alluded to. I had this done in the 90's when I had better insurance. She said it would be $200 per side with my insurance (Medicare Advantage). I then asked what would it be without insurance and she said $700. So apparently $1400 is the going rate.

I will admit I'm not the best caretaker of my teeth, so I paid the $400 and had it done. It just took about a half hour per side, so the hourly rate does seem a bit steep.

My mistake, I mean aren't. I'm sure it isn't easy getting in to dental school but you won't see them in a hospital setting and they usually have restricted prescription writing privileges.
My dentist specializes in difficult children's tooth issues and does work at our local hospital a few days per month, but I am not sure what, if any, procedures she does there. We have a very large university in town with lots of international students and some of their children arrive with mouth/tooth challenges probably due to marginal dental care opportunities.

Off Topic:

When they are polishing your real teeth….

Do you ever think this is what my car’s paint feels like when I using a circular buffer / polisher… ?

Last edited:
Back