Demo'd the Hypermotard this morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
and I've only got 2 words to describe it.... HOLY ____!!! The local Ducati dealership had an open house this morning... the usual, radio station, free food, and the reason I went.. demo rides on the hypermotard. I must say, the riding position is VERY forward on that bike, farther forward than anything I've ever ridden.. the clutch let out VERY early.. and of course I stalled it as my ninja's clutch grabs in the second half of travel... the bike only had 87 miles on it when I rode it, so they told us to keep it under 6k... well OMG, it was like the hand of god pushing you along and you better be leaning over that front wheel when you get on it! A Ducati made the list of things I must get before I die....
smile.gif

it's the fastest accelerating ANYTHING I've ever been on... It would take me a while to get used to that seating position though...

I like the Hypomotard very much myself. I just got a Honda 919... So it should be awhile before Im in the market for another bike. But the Ducati is on the checkout list. WarDawg

Ducati ! This brings back memories.

I've been out of motorcycling for over 20 years. But in 1974 I bought a Ducati 750 GT. It was really neat bike. In '79 I sold it to a friend of my cousin in order to finance the purchase of a HD Superglide (FXE). The guy that bought it was a pot head; he was always high on something and I felt a bit guilty about selling the Ducati to him because I knew the bike would end up wrecked, abused, neglected, or whatever. But money was money so I watched the Ducati drive away and a few days later I had Superglide in the driveway. The Ducati had around 30K miles on it when I sold it in '79.

22 years later - somewhere around 2000 or 2001 - my mother went with my aunt (my cousins mother) to a baby shower for some other relative who I barely knew. At the end of the baby shower, the husbands and boyfriends were all showing up to pick up their spouses, having coffee and sampling whatever was left of the food. This "guy" came over to my mother and introduced himself, said that she probably wouldn't remember him but that he had been to our house as a 19 yr old back in the late '70s and that he had bought my Ducati. He told her, " be sure to tell Phil [that's me] that I still have the bike, it has 270,000 miles on it, and it still runs great".

Talk about being shocked and pleased all at the same time when I heard this.

I have never seen a Ducati 750 since I sold mine. They were as rare as hens teeth back then and I guess they still are. I can still hear the distinctive sound of that bike with the megaphone-style Conti mufflers it came with. Awesome.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, the Ducati was my 2nd Italian bike. My very first bike, at the age of 16, was a well used Benelli 125.

I love the sound of a Ducati's desmo engine.. a Monster 695 is going to be my next bike
smile.gif

There's some excellent deals on lightly used 999's now that the 1098's are out and are priced so reasonably.

Motorcycle magazine liked the 999 better as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back