Defective fuses still being made. Shocker...

As you may know, Harbor Freight recalled automotive fuses that they sold back sometime in 2008. They wouldn't blow when they should have, which could cause a fire.

It seems that this is still a problem today (with fuses sold under other names; unknown if Harbor Freight fuses are any good):

Thanks for the "heads up" information.

Of course, the first thing I thought of:

mUjgor0.jpg

fe11vz9q9wn71.jpg

Thanks for the "heads up" information.

Of course, the first thing I thought of:

On that last one--physically holding the handle of any UL-listed breaker (which is any you will find in a load center or panelboard) will not cause it to fail to trip.

They have a "trip free" mechanism, which, in the event of a trip, mechanically disconnects the handle from the breaker mechanism if the handle won't move.

I recall in college, getting my BSEE degree, one of the dorm guys decided to test the idea that that a short circuit does not have voltage across it--using a cheater plug like shown above. He was very quick about, and the lights barely flickered. But I think they flickered in the whole building, and we all scattered when a security guy popped into our wing (no idea why he was there, but us all running was probably his first clue as to why the lights flickered).

On one of the email reflectors (remember those?) someone recounted a story about, as an HVAC repair guy, he had forgotten to flip the breaker in the basement--before taking the elevator up to the top to work on something. Closed his eyes, crossed the wires... was able to do his work. 'cept the elevator didn't work on the ride down... and the whole building was without power... he just kept walking and didn't say anything.

My father tells me of the time he watched someone power up a building, some massive spring loaded fuse that slammed the works shut. I can only imagine the inrush. He said it was quite the bang and shudder.

Last story: on said email reflector, someone recounted working in a telco that had catwalks over the lead acid batteries. A wrench was dropped, and it landed onto the buss bars. It didn't stop--it simply burned the ends off and kept going.

Anyhow. I've found the crimp terminals at HF to be pretty decent--far better than any junk from Radioshack. But I'm not sure I trust their DMM's and I sure don't trust their fuses! heck I'm reluctant to buy their wire kit.

I recall in college, getting my BSEE degree, one of the dorm guys decided to test the idea that that a short circuit does not have voltage across it--using a cheater plug like shown above. He was very quick about, and the lights barely flickered.

I once worked in a building where the public works guys were making an opening in an existing wall. Problem was, there was a BX cable running through the wall where the door was going to go, connected to an outlet, and they had no idea what circuit it was on (old building and nobody ever bothered to map out the circuits), because they needed to shut off the power to reroute the cable around the door.

I told them I'd be happy to help them find the breaker...as the "crazy IT guy" (me) touched the wires together to trip the breaker.

Wasn't the first time I'd done that, and it wasn't the last time either.

Thanks for posting this. I know very little about electricity and wiring, so this was very helpful.

Recently, a fuse had to be replaced in the Camry and afterward it seemed that it would be worthwhile to have some spare fuses handy. I was going to cross the avenue and go to Harbor Freight, but now I'll look elsewhere. There's an O'Reilly's close by and I think I'll stop in and see what they have.

Again, thanks ...

I once worked in a building where the public works guys were making an opening in an existing wall. Problem was, there was a BX cable running through the wall where the door was going to go, connected to an outlet, and they had no idea what circuit it was on (old building and nobody ever bothered to map out the circuits), because they needed to shut off the power to reroute the cable around the door.

I told them I'd be happy to help them find the breaker...as the "crazy IT guy" (me) touched the wires together to trip the breaker.

Wasn't the first time I'd done that, and it wasn't the last time either.
Friend of mine bought an old house, used to be an inn, that had some questionable work. BX cable was installed on the outside of the studs? and let into the stud? as a result he found lots of live nails.

Best was opening up a wall and finding an electrical panel. Wall wasn't insulated but they had shoved this panel full of pink insulation. A few lines ran into it, and had to cross it. To make it across they had used a handful of short wires and a handful of wirenuts. Like they reused all the castoff pieces of wire, saving and reusing them. Wild.

Back