Dealer Severely Overtightened Lugnuts!

Here is some of the carnage from my son’s newly acquired 2007 Jeep Liberty.
E6D1FFEA-DF4F-4F82-AEB7-7E2B3FBBCED3.jpeg

I was working on a car today that had very undertightend lug nuts and suspension components lol person had been to the dealership and I think they made have just hand tightened everything. At least it wasn’t hard to get off like your lug nuts were.

Call the Service Manager or go and sit in his office and have a strong chat with him. Have him reprimand the Tech. Likely it wasn't a trained tech, just a grease monkey. Tech ID or Name should be on the R.O.

You probably don't want to bring that car back there though!

p.s.: Maybe the mechanic didn't like you bumper sticker -it's that kind of society these days.

I see your point. We are, however, talking about properly installing wheels on a car. Done incorrectly, this could lead to a deadly situation. Also, my point is, if I pay the agreed amount, the shop (dealor or indie) needs to do their part. Just my 2 cents.
I’ll agree with that … and there needs to be company protocols. Nobody likes an up-sale … but when the young man at DT told me “sir, based on the numbers of tires and rotations on that car (130k) and that style having some history, we recommend new lug nuts” … he went on to say the studs looked great … and I’m a big customer so I’ll get them discounted (they were less than AZ) … That’s a thoughtful service to me - took them.

That's exactly what happened to my dad. My sister had new tires put on her car, and happened to run over something 2 days later while she was at college an hour away. My dad went to change the flat, and standing on the lug wrench he couldn't budge them. I ended up having to go down there and buzz them off with my impact. He went to the tire shop afterward and had a nice "discussion" with the owner.

I've had that happen. Had a dear friend of mine, somehow get a flat outside her friend's house. Went to change it. Stated that, even jumping up and down, couldn't get the lug off.

My first thought was... Y'all are weak.

And, sure enough, it was a small guy....

Nobody has heard of leverage?

I've had that happen. Had a dear friend of mine, somehow get a flat outside her friend's house. Went to change it. Stated that, even jumping up and down, couldn't get the lug off.

My first thought was... Y'all are weak.

And, sure enough, it was a small guy....

Nobody has heard of leverage?
Yeah, but most people don't have an extra 3 or 4 foot pipe lying around for leverage.

Here's a Ryobi one that's good for 300 foot pounds for $100 with battery and charger.

The Milwaukee 2767 at 1400 foot pounds will remove any lug nut but somewhat overkill. Not a good deal on it so far, but when it's on sale, it's about $250 for the impact wrench and battery.

TYVM, Wolf.. I've wanted a battery-powered half-drive impact wrench for a few years but never found one I wanted at the price.. I bought two of the Ryobis (one for a friend).. Took two trips to HD (which I don't much like) for them to find them, but then I was offered an HD creditcard for $100 off and signed up! Two of them out the door (including 8.6% salestax, of course) was just over $100!

TYVM, Wolf.. I've wanted a battery-powered half-drive impact wrench for a few years but never found one I wanted at the price.. I bought two of the Ryobis (one for a friend).. Took two trips to HD (which I don't much like) for them to find them, but then I was offered an HD creditcard for $100 off and signed up! Two of them out the door (including 8.6% salestax, of course) was just over $100!
Wow, they're getting pretty aggressive with the credit card offers. Used to be just 10% off which if you buy an appliance could be $50 and up. You do get mailings from them for 10% off your purchase once in a while though. I normally prefer to use my regular credit card because I get 2% back, but I like to use the Home Depot card when I have people buying stuff for repairs at the pro desk, they take the card over the phone and they automatically email you the receipt so I know exactly what they bought. For $100, I don't mind leaving it in the trunk along with the $20 Ryobi inflator.

I had to give my wife the 1-1/2 ft long 1/2 " breaker bar and a special lug socket to take the lugs off the aluminum wheels off her car.

The previously effective universal cross-wrench wouldn't do it. Not enough leverage - and I am 6'-1" 250 lbs Scot / Pole

If you cannot budge them with THAT length breaker, then you are going to shear something something taking the lugs off.

Long pipes are for certain hefty suspension bolts and nuts; and then, of course - the DREADED differential ring gears.

Last edited:
I had a flat on my Magnum...wound up calling AAA because I could not get the lugs off with a 4-way! The guy AAA sent was a huge dude (6'4", easily 300+lbs, 3' shoulders) who looked like he was playing hooky from the Patriots defensive line...and HE needed a breaker bar with a pipe on it. The gorilla with the impact was the dealer...they'd just done the brakes.
Yeah, but most people don't have an extra 3 or 4 foot pipe lying around for leverage.
You shouldn't have to use anything except the tire tool that your vehicle came with.

Back