Dealer Severely Overtightened Lugnuts!

I think this thread should go in the "dealer bashing/complaint" forum, yeah ?
Yea-I really don't understand the purpose of these threads. OK-the dealer allegedly messed up-find another dealer or independent garage. And move on..........

So I got a call this morning from another dealer, competitive make, ordering 20 lug nuts for a 2016 Transit T-150. Not unusual but whatever. Then about a half an hour later I get a call from a guy wanting to know how much lugnuts cost for his Transit. At first he was super offended I asked for the VIN, because apparently that is a bad thing to ask now. Once he finally gave me the last 9 after I asked for the last 8 to which he said "O I gave you too many, do you think you can figure it out?" No surprise the VIN matched the other dealer from the original call. Then he asked how much "those pole things" the lug nuts thread onto cost. I confirmed "you mean the wheel studs" to which he answered "ya whatever those are, can I talk to someone who knows what they are talking about." Well unfortunately for him, I was the only one in. And on his particular Transit, Ford does not sell the front studs on their own, they are only serviced with the hub assembly. Sometimes I wish I would just let the phone ring.

Once again CKN doesn't get the purpose of BITOG. If we were all happy with dealer service and whatever oil they gave us, we wouldn't be on this site.

Back to the OP, it has happened to me several times. But, only when I fail to check afterwards.

My favorite was at Goodyear Tire&Auto, where I got the service writer on the phone, and he insisted it couldn't happen to my Dakota there because of their torque sticks. I came in and slammed down several cross-threaded lugs and said "please explain to me how your torque sticks prevented that." They paid for new lugs and nuts, but I installed them all myself.

Once again CKN doesn't get the purpose of BITOG. If we were all happy with dealer service and whatever oil they gave us, we wouldn't be on this site.
In fact, these threads usually get locked. What do they accomplish anyway ? A pity party, more dealer horror stories, "I'm better than 90% of the techs out there" claims ?

Reactions: CKN
I dont think that most of us think we are better than the dealer techs but the fact that dealers and techs make allot of money by charging book hrs for a job and then doing it in half of the time. And I understand that everyone has to make a living and if a good tech can knock time off the book and do the job right thats great, but that does not seem to be what is happening. We know the techs know how to do it right but you make more money by rushing it out. We all wish these were one offs because sometimes the job is just to big to do at home and you have to trust someone with a huge investment but how many times do you have to get ------- before you learn. And we all need a place to vent when this happens to us.

Looks like another case of the dreaded swollen lug nuts.:rolleyes:
Known issue with this vehicle.

The point is, if I pay good money I am performing my half of the contract.
Is it too much to expect the tech to use a torque wrench to properly torque the lugs?
Should I accept 250 pound feet applied to an 80 pound feet fastener?
If I get a flat on the side of the road, how the heck am I gonna get those lugs off?

Does the dealership use the proper tools on spark plugs being installed in the aluminum heads on my $60K Lexus?
Put that air gun on rock 'n roll and let 'er rip!

Is it too much to expect the tech to use a torque wrench to properly torque the lugs?
If I get a flat on the side of the road, how the heck am I gonna get those lugs off?

Does the dealership use the proper tools on spark plugs being installed in the aluminum heads on my $60K Lexus?

That's exactly what happened to my dad. My sister had new tires put on her car, and happened to run over something 2 days later while she was at college an hour away. My dad went to change the flat, and standing on the lug wrench he couldn't budge them. I ended up having to go down there and buzz them off with my impact. He went to the tire shop afterward and had a nice "discussion" with the owner.

I agree with this. Dealer rates here are $120 an hour regardless if it's Ford or BMW. If I'm paying a company $120 an hour then their employees should be able to perform the job necessary and the most basic task of properly tightening lugnuts should not be my worry.

I agree with this. Dealer rates here are $120 an hour regardless if it's Ford or BMW. If I'm paying a company $120 an hour then their employees should be able to perform the job necessary and the most basic task of properly tightening lugnuts should not be my worry.
Otherwise what am I paying for?
My boss would fire my xxx if I turned in less that what was agreed to.

The actual "techs" at the dealers aren't the ones tightening the s*** out of your lugs nuts the majority of the time, it's most likely the new tire/lube guy that obviously doesn't have any experience, proper training, or just doesn't care how it's done.

The actual "techs" at the dealers aren't the ones tightening the s*** out of your lugs nuts the majority of the time, it's most likely the new tire/lube guy that obviously doesn't have any experience, proper training, or just doesn't care how it's done.
That means the management doesn't care. That's the point.

+1 manager is responsible for those they are suppose to manage. Complain to the manager and his boss. Severly overtighten lug nuts cause warped rotors. Ed

That’s my issue with a lot of this. If I go to a shade tree hack working in his residential garage on jack stands (cough cough Scotty Kilmer) I can understand because I saved a bunch of money and I don’t mind undoing a few fasteners are re-torquing to spec. If I’m paying 30% or more than an independent shop these things should never happen. I get flat rate on warranty stuff doesn’t pay very well but I think a lot of the venom and hatred we see on these boards comes from the mental state of; if the dealer can’t even be assed to do it correctly who can? A lot of times you bring a car in to a dealer specifically because you want things done exactly as the manufacturer states when that doesn’t happen you’re right to be upset.

I don’t have any shop experience but to me that seems like it would be the opposite. The new guy got in the car repair business you’d think because they like cars and have probably wrenched on their personal vehicles and I’d assume they’d have used torque wrenches for that purpose. The 9 Ugga chugga guys seem like they’d be older guys on flat rate who have gotten jaded and want the car out of their bay ASAP so they can bill more hours. Could be wrong though. Generally my experience is that bad habits relating to speed are usually learned not innate.

This happens to me at tire and brake shops about 40% of the time.
Anytime I have work done where the tires came off, I always make sure to check and re-torque the lugs as soon as possible. I don't want to be stuck on the side of a road with a flat tire and I can't get the lug nuts off with the tools I carry in the car. A three foot breaker bar is not one of those tools.

That’s my issue with a lot of this. If I go to a shade tree hack working in his residential garage on jack stands (cough cough Scotty Kilmer) I can understand because I saved a bunch of money and I don’t mind undoing a few fasteners are re-torquing to spec. If I’m paying 30% or more than an independent shop these things should never happen. I get flat rate on warranty stuff doesn’t pay very well but I think a lot of the venom and hatred we see on these boards comes from the mental state of; if the dealer can’t even be assed to do it correctly who can? A lot of times you bring a car in to a dealer specifically because you want things done exactly as the manufacturer states when that doesn’t happen you’re right to be upset.
I take it a step further... When we agree to have tires installed, or whatever, there is a contract prepared that I sign. I pay the agreed upon amount. The shop's, indie or dealer, side of the contract is correct work. That's what I expect. Do they pay me for checking their work?

Heck, in my line of business (high tech business programming and analytics) I would get fired for such garbage. And rightly so.
For gosh sakes, take a little pride in your work.

Back