Dealer Oil Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 Trust the engineer's , if they say 5w-30 then 5w-30. I would take it back and get the correct oil put in the crankcase.

I would bet that unless you watch them do the change, they will leave in the oil thats currently in there and tell you its been changed. You won't ever know. I personally would change it yourself so you know whats in there. Get a set of ramps and do it yourself. I can change my oil faster than it takes me to take it somewhere and wait for it to be done.

Wayne

My thoughts exactly!! I usually do my own oil changes, but being that this was free from the dealer I thought I would let them do the 1st change. My mistake. Today I went to my local auto parts store, bought the oil and filter and changed my own oil. Like the old saying, if you want something done right, do it yourself. Thanks for your input.

I would let the dealer redo the oil change to correct grade this time, just make sure they do it right this time. Since it's only 1 free oil change, do it yourself next time.

Mistake does happen from time to time, even for do it yourself home mechanic.

This is common practice at Chrysler dealers it seems. A friend used to work at one doing the quick lube lane. They had 5w20 in bulk, so instead of going and finding 5w30 or 10w30 they would just pump the 5w20 and call it a day. With the 5,000km oil change stickers they give I guess they thought it would not be a problem.

If the dealer put in 10w30 when a 5w30 was called for (so long as it was spring/summer) it wouldn't bother me. However, 5w20 in an engine rated for 5w30, particularly in the Challenger would concern me.

i would take it back and have them redo the oil change, 5w-20 is for 5.7 Hemi's with MDS, every other challenger uses 5w-30 or
0w-40, just my 2 cents.

Montrose

I'll chime in with info I learned as a tech at a dealer. I've also heard the same thing from MANY other techs I've known over the years.

Most dealers have 1 or 2 big oil tanks in the back. The oil guns in the shop pull from these tanks. The tankwas alsways filled with straight 30wt oil. Whatever oil it said on the cap was put on the invoice, but everything got the stright 30wt, except diesels.

So if you see them adding oil with the gun hanging from the rafters your getting the same bulk grade as everyone else no matter what your vehicle requires per the oil cap.

Everytime I had a customer bring in their own oil for me to change out I ALWAYS asked them if they wanted to come to my stall and watch me put in their oil. Some did, some didn't, but I almost always got a return customer just from asking.

Thanks for the chime!. I'm sure my dealer would have also let me watch the oil fill, however just because the way I am, I went and bought my oil and did it myself. The dealer oil change was free so I really just lost some of my time, no worries. Thanx again. Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back