Free oil change on Dealer !! good or bad ??

I really don't like dealer service just for the fact I don't want to sit there and wait. That aside my VW dealer in Fallston MD. Is top notch.
They even did a free decarb for me at 29K miles...
Runs smooth as silk now..
No overfills or massive under fills
Stellar...all services were under the free maintenance program.

Thank you for that. We were so close to a VW.

Aaaaand now we are test driving the Pathfinder.

I think manufacturer supplied free oil changes are simply a way for you to get introduced to the dealer and the longer you delay doing your own they have you for life. I think that's the scheme behind it all. It makes you dependent from the start.
Your prevailing attitudes towards dealers makes you a very non-credible poster in regards to this subject.
Which Dealer(s) burned you?
These "kumbaya" dealer threads...getting old.

I told them I wasn't interested in a free oil change. The salesman looked at me like I had three eyes on my forehead. I did ask him for 5 quarts of Mazda oil and an OEM filter. He actually went and asked "someone" if they could do that. They couldn't. LOL

No thanks, that "free" oil change will possibly get you a rounded out drain plug, missing under-shield hardware, etc. Seen it happen too many times.

I would not hesitate to use free dealer oil changes, just be sure to get it changed on the "severe service" maintenance schedule since you don't actually know what they are using. Also make sure the oil level is correct, and the plug & filter are tight but not too tight. Any problems with that, tell them to do it right next time or take it somewhere else... or do it yourself.

Our Toyota dealer had the 2 year free maintenance but only changes oil at the 10,000 mile interval, i.e. every other 6 months. I told the Service write if they could change it at our first visit, he said yes they'll just use the 10,000 mile OCI. Our 2022 Rav4 uses 0W-16 which they didn't have and used 0W-20. That was fine for me here in Hawaii but the invoice stated "BULK OIL". That was my last visit and did my changes every 5,000 miles or 6 months, which ever came first, using Mobil 1 0W-16.

Je leur ai dit que je n'étais pas intéressé par une vidange d'huile gratuite. Le vendeur m'a regardé comme si j'avais trois yeux sur le front. Je lui ai demandé 5 litres d'huile Mazda et un filtre OEM. En fait, il est allé demander à « quelqu'un » s'il pouvait faire ça. Ils ne le pouvaient pas. MDR

Non merci, cette vidange d'huile "gratuite" vous rapportera peut-être un bouchon de vidange arrondi, du matériel sous le bouclier manquant, etc. Cela se produit trop souvent.
I am 60 years old and a mechanic and as long as I am physically capable of maintaining my Mazda I will do it myself and I will buy all the products I trust (translation by Google)

Last edited:
Back