dealer oil changes not worth it

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and it doesn't have to absorb a lot of water to lower the boiling point of the fluid to a dangerous level.
View attachment 33870
In addition, the moisture can cause corrosion in the system. All of my cars get the DOT 4 brake fluid changed every two years, with the exception of the track rats, which have the fluid changed no longer than six months before an HPDE.

Yes I'm well aware of how brake fluid functions and how changes affect the performance, but a fluid exchange every 15K according to Nissan IS total B.S. and I will call anybody out on that. People should also take into account of location/uses a vehicle is being driven as environmental factors surely play a large part.

Yes I'm well aware of how brake fluid functions and how changes affect the performance, but a fluid exchange every 15K according to Nissan IS total B.S. and I will call anybody out on that. People should also take into account of location/uses a vehicle is being driven as environmental factors surely play a large part.

When I get behind the wheel on any of my cars(save the Jeep) I want to be confident that it is fully capable of attacking a twisting rural two lane or mountain road- and that even includes my slower than molasses(0-60 in 9.5 seconds) Clubman.
YMMV- quite obviously.

Last edited:
I will gladly call B.S. with a manufacturer (Nissan) or anybody else claiming 15K miles is max on brake fluid for a daily driver. As my braking system ages I 'might' have it flushed the next time 50K from now, but will wait/see.

We all have our own comfort level on how we maintain our vehicles. I error on the side of safety. Others just decide to run their vehicles into the ground and disregard simple maintenance. There is nothing wrong at all by changing brake fluid out at 15K on a daily driver. If you live in a wet/cold or rust belt then it's just smart to do annually regardless of miles. I used to change mine out after every race knowing that it was deteriorated.

We all have our own comfort level on how we maintain our vehicles. I error on the side of safety. Others just decide to run their vehicles into the ground and disregard simple maintenance. There is nothing wrong at all by changing brake fluid out at 15K on a daily driver. If you live in a wet/cold or rust belt then it's just smart to do annually regardless of miles. I used to change mine out after every race knowing that it was deteriorated.

Back around 2010 I was considering a NISMO 370Z until Car and Driver demonstrated that the braking system wasn’t even remotely track ready. Their NISMO Z lost the brakes going into Turn One at VIR during the 2010 Lightning Lap competition and the car was totaled. I won’t tolerate marginal brakes or marginal headlamps- but I’m amazed how many people find abysmal brakes or headlamps to be perfectly acceptable.

Depending on the country you live in you may have to have the vehicle serviced by a dealer or certified workshop to maintain the warranty. DIY doesn't cut it, no stamp in the warranty book no more warranty.
So true especially with Ferrari. They come to pick them up here and get hauled to Denver or OKC for services. Saw a Orange McClaren the other day at Manhattan,KS and I bet he's gotta send that thing in for services far away. Hopefully he's a Doctor or a General as it looked expensive.

When I get behind the wheel on any of my cars(save the Jeep) I want to be confident that it is fully capable of attacking a twisting rural two lane or mountain road- and that even includes my slower than molasses(0-60 in 9.5 seconds) Clubman.
YMMV- quite obviously.

Totally confident here with any sort of driving I put my ride through to be honest. I plan to visit the Tail of the Dragon before long as that should be enjoyable, especially since I had the recent fluid exchanges done, have rather fresh solid handling tires and most importantly have decently recovered from a devastating health setback that prevented me from driving at all for some time. I take my vehicle maintenance/care as serious as anybody else, I just don't overthink things and the end result speaks for itself.

Have started doing O.C.s again thanks to poor service and attitude over the past year . Trust is a hard to come by these times . Found this after oil change . Drove only a few blocks . Always check everything after O.C. by others . Went back to show picture and they got a kick out of it :mad: .
IMG_2862.JPG
And this from the FIT !
DSCF6332.JPG
And this of FIT ( supplied own 4 quarts of oil ) .
IMG_2606.JPG
IMG_2603.JPG
This is just a drop of oil in the bucket ( oil drain ) . Many more fond memories .

Last edited:
As I've mentioned before, I currently use two indie shops and three dealers(BMW, Mazda, and MINI). No complaints. I have dealt with dealers that have been less than helpful, but that's been years ago.

As I've mentioned before, I currently use two indie shops and three dealers(BMW, Mazda, and MINI). No complaints. I have dealt with dealers that have been less than helpful, but that's been years ago.

You also won the PowerBall lottery. Winner winner chicken dinner. :ROFLMAO:
I can promise you that the average consumer has 90% bad experiences with a similar situation.

wifes Caddy with 15K developed a drip leak. Took it in and the oil filter was loose ...they do all the changes so the mechaninc didnt tighten the filter enough? ... expected a lot more from Cadillac dealer mechanic.

I was picking up some Porsche parts at the local VW parts department a few weeks ago. The service advisor desk was right behind me. They were telling this old lady that her turbo was failing but to replace the turbo they would need to replace the whole exhaust manifold, wanted $2400 yet it was still safe to drive when she asked if she could take it out of town. Pure thievery. I know VW turbos are part of the exhaust manifold for efficiency but their concern for replacement just didn't make sense. Can't remember what they said but i knew it shouldn't warrant replacing the turbo.

It's an outrage that the dealer wanted to flush the brake fluid on a car that's 18 months old.
It may be due, depending on how long it sat before it was sold. Brake fluid is a 24 month item.

Kindly decline. Some people go for it so they ask.

Still miffed my wife's 2018 Tiguan got her Haldex fluid changed at 30k / 1
Year old at dealer insistence. The service interval is every 3 years then every two thereafter.

And you feel she was somehow cheated? Be glad it was done at a sensible interval.
I was picking up some Porsche parts at the local VW parts department a few weeks ago. The service advisor desk was right behind me. They were telling this old lady that her turbo was failing but to replace the turbo they would need to replace the whole exhaust manifold, wanted $2400 yet it was still safe to drive when she asked if she could take it out of town. Pure thievery. I know VW turbos are part of the exhaust manifold for efficiency but their concern for replacement just didn't make sense. Can't remember what they said but i knew it shouldn't warrant replacing the turbo.

So you don't remember, but you know it didn't need a turbo? Clairvoyance.
wifes Caddy with 15K developed a drip leak. Took it in and the oil filter was loose ...they do all the changes so the mechaninc didnt tighten the filter enough? ... expected a lot more from Cadillac dealer mechanic.

Imagine if they overtightened it and you tried to do the oil change yourself. Mistakes happen. I suspect more mistakes happen with DIY maintenance.

Plenty of oopsies get posted here - and it's a forum about DIY maintenance posted on by "expert" owners!

Back around 2010 I was considering a NISMO 370Z until Car and Driver demonstrated that the braking system wasn’t even remotely track ready. Their NISMO Z lost the brakes going into Turn One at VIR during the 2010 Lightning Lap competition and the car was totaled.

I remember that, and them finding that the VSC was never able to be fully turned off.

It’s likely that the person that changed the oil is not a mechanic.

So you don't remember, but you know it didn't need a turbo? Clairvoyance.

This was probably mid November and my memory is hazy. If I remember right was along the lines of a leaking manifold, possibly a bad exhaust manifold gasket. A cracked/leaking manifold would either make it run loud, rich, low boost, CEL, strong gasoline smell. Neither experienced by the customer. Preventative maintenance? sure. But wouldn't warrant $2400 repair until the CEL comes on realistically.

I also brought my Subaru in to the dealer for an oil change a few years ago. They told me it was time for new brakes, I assumed probably as I was nearing 40k miles but I wasn't going to pay $850. I take it home, buy new brakes, pull the caliper and what do I see? perfectly fine brakes. I figured I was gonna replace the pads anyways since I had it apart. Compare thickness and they were within 2mm of each other.

My response is about tire rotations. I was driving my wife's car a few weeks ago, when the low air monitor sensed low air in the drivers side front tire. I pulled into a WAWA with free air, and pumped up both front tires to 32 psi according to their machine. The car still showed low air in the front drivers side tire. So I went home and checked all the tires with my digital gauge, Both rear tires were showing 27 & 27.5 psi. That got me thinking that if the tire pressure monitoring system can only tell which tire is low on air, by where it is on the car.If you rotate the tires from the factory assigned spots, ,it might give wacky readings like my wife's car did.,,,

Back