dealer oil changes not worth it

Kindly decline. Some people go for it so they ask.

Still miffed my wife's 2018 Tiguan got her Haldex fluid changed at 30k / 1
Year old at dealer insistence. The service interval is every 3 years then every two thereafter.

Some dealers do not stop at "No, thanks." They push the issue, tell you that your car will implode if you don't get the services done, or some other fear tactic. I feel bad for the unsuspecting customers who simply want their oil changed, and then all of a sudden are hit in the face with a $90 cabin filter, $60 engine air filter, $60 wiper blades, and a $140 fuel system cleaning. Their $50 oil change just turned in to a $400 visit to the dealer.

The dealers that have tried this on me also put on the service receipt "Customer refused the following recommended services:" and then list out everything they tried to upsell or push on me. I actually got in to it with a service advisor over a cabin filter one time. Told me I needed a new one, even though it had only been 3-4 weeks since I changed it out. I told him I had just done it myself 3-4 weeks ago. He said to me "Oh yeah? Well it is dirty again and needs replacing." I replied "Why would it be dirty after only 3-4 weeks? Seems like a bad design if it gets that dirty that quickly." He replied "You must have a really dirty commute. The environment around here is really dirty which causes the filters to work really hard." I told him "No, thanks" again and he finally just turned around and stomped away (literally).

Recently, with my Chevy, I took it in for mandatory annual state inspection. Service Advisor comes out and says "Your cabin filter is really dirty and needs replacing." I said "No, thanks, I just did it myself recently and it shouldn't be that dirty." He said "Oh, ok. Well we don't know when owners replace them at home so we can only go by the service history we have here." Meanwhile, I am thinking to myself "so you didn't look at it, you just assumed?" When I went to pay and leave, he said to me "I misspoke when I said your cabin filter was really dirty. I looked at it, and it is slightly dirty but will need to be looked at again soon." Now whenever I go in, I tell them at check-in that I just changed the cabin filter and/or engine air filter myself and they do not need to be checked. They make note of it and haven't bugged me about those filters since.

But it should never be that hard. I get they are a huge profit center for the dealer, but they should stick to only suggesting services that coincide with the owners manual. They would sell way more services if they would literally point to the manual and say "Sir/ma'am, we can see here that the manual calls for replacement of the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles. You have 58,000 miles on your vehicle and we can take care of this for you today for $xxx. Would you like us to do this manufacturer recommended service for you?"

Originally Posted by Trav
What are you on about?

This:

Your recommendation for Tekton sockets. Except I bought the 1/4" size, not the 1/2" in your post. But thanks anyways, great tools at a great price from a "big box" store. Please show my entire post with the link when you quote me for clarity to the readers. I bought this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-...-mm-to-14-mm-55-Piece-SKT05301/309839219

Your post from 4/21/20:

Re: 1/2 drive deep sockets [Re: Redright9]#540963804/21/20 09:00 PM
Trav
MA, Mittelfranken.de
I just did a price comparison of Tools Delivered and Zoro for the same tools just to show the coupon is not always a deal, it is sometimes like the USA Williams socket set they did not bump the price on, that was a real good deal.
Williams 32945 which has 9-36mm missing the 34mm 32734 which is the only missing size they offer. 31, 33, 35 or larger than 36mm are not offered.

ToolsDelivered price is 138.40 for the set. $13.07 for the 34mm socket, 13.85 UPS shipping (Ships from Snap on) plus tax.
Zoro just came out with a 20% off coupon today (AURAQ9EPJV) good till 4/24/20. The set is $163.30, the 34mm must buy 5 pieces min, an Amazon single is $17.84 + $4.76, shipping is free on the set plus tax.

Totals
ToolsDelivered $160 inc 6.25 tax and shipping.
Zoro with coupon and Amazon single socket inc tax $163

This is something else to consider, I don't own any Tekton tools except for one special socket bit but they are also made in Taiwan, according to some well known tools sites these are really decent tools with a great warranty, the shipping is free. Notice no skipped sizes, if these are really as good as they claim and you need big sockets its a no brainer.

https://www.tekton.com/1-2-in-dr-dp-6-pt-skt-sets-3-8-1-1-2-in-10-38-mm?set-range=10-38-mm

ASE L1, Master. Deutsch Meisterbrief.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by user52165
Depending on the country you live in you may have to have the vehicle serviced by a dealer or certified workshop to maintain the warranty. DIY doesn't cut it, no stamp in the warranty book no more warranty.

What countries would that be?

That certainly does not apply in THIS country. "Stamp in the book" replaced by on line entry and tracking of work done by Indy or OWNER.

Some Euro countries do this or do you think this is a USA resident forum only? Some companies put dye in the oil as proof spec oil was used and rightfully so.
IMO manufacturers should not be held liable in the form of honoring a warranty when Joe DIY did the service in his driveway with hammers and salad forks using the cheapest crap from a big box store.

Some hammer and salad fork!

Based on your recommendation, thank you, I, (excuse me, I mean Joe DIY), just received this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-...-mm-to-14-mm-55-Piece-SKT05301/309839219

I will find your post, if you forgot.

User52165 - it's bizarre that you drag a completely unrelated post in another thread (Trav recommending tool brands) into this one.

I still don't understand your point, but from here, it looks like you're stalking Trav.

Seriously.

This thread is about dealers doing oil changes... Car manufacturers honoring warranties...and how, to Trav's point, The magnuson-moss warranty act doesn't apply in foreign countries, where you CAN be required to have your vehicle service at an authorized dealer in order to preserve your vehicle warranty.

I changed the spelling of wave indicating that I'm going to pass on that stuff too ...
we have a good service department ... but I just like doing it and need the exercise

I don't trust dealers. Back in college, I had a friend that worked as a technician for the local Oldsmobile/Pontiac dealership, the service writers would take a look at a person's account and if they had been reliably coming to the dealer for all their work, the techs would be instructed to snip the rubber boots on the caliper slide-pins to allow water in. Every spring after an upstate NY winter, everyone would come in to change out their snow tires and magically the service writers would come out with the same story "Oh Mr./Ms. it looks like you must have hit something and it tore the boot protecting one of your calipers and it let salt water in, the caliper is frozen up really good. Because you're such a good customer, we can get you a remanufactured caliper installed today for only $400."
I dont trust them either. Experts in ripping people off. Find a independent repair shop and pray they are honest or do it yourself.

don't believe that the oil change guys are the real service techs. back in 2005 i had a bmw with free oil change, after the oil change. my buddy noticed a leak, back to dealer a a tsb indicated bad oil pan bolts. out came all that good oil, new bolts and all was good

I guess it's easier to come on BITOG and have a "Kumbaya moment" that just to tell the dealer "NO"!!

Or it's better to come here and vent that they couldn't find the source of his concern, but "found" other work that of course would require payment than it is to punch, cuss, or do whatever at the dealership.

One can say no and be frustrated they couldn't find his concern but found other things that they would charge for to address.

I guess it's easier to come on BITOG and have a "Kumbaya moment" that just to tell the dealer "NO"!!

Originally Posted by bbhero
Nothing is "free".... I laugh when anyone thinks this or says it. ...

This reminded me of back when I bought my GMC S-15 Jimmy. The Chevy Blazer had a starting base price about $50 less than the GMC despite both trucks being made in the same line and the only difference was the grill and badges. I later found out that was because GMC "gave" you the first oil change for "free"...
crackmeup2.gif
Those GMC badges will fetch more than $50 on resale value.

They do not perform those free oil changes and tire rotations for fun. They offer them with the intent of making money on the non-oil change and non-rite rotation business they can drum up during the visit for the free stuff. If the extra business attempts are offensive, don't accept or don't use the free services that bring you in.

My son gets free cabin air filters installed every 12,000 miles along with 6,000 mile free oil changes and tire rotations. Free wiper blades too when needed.

They do not perform those free oil changes and tire rotations for fun. They offer them with the intent of making money on the non-oil change and non-rite rotation business they can drum up during the visit for the free stuff. If the extra business attempts are offensive, don't accept or don't use the free services that bring you in.
i did a free dealer tire rotation once … luckily I had the radio off and heard the noise before the un torqued wheel started shaking. Cost them a stud change and $450 wheel …
… a well known retired couple from here died in a crash when none of their wheels got torqued …
It is serious work, yet the dealer must put the car wash kids on this free stuff ? I’m not the standard dealer basher here … but they are going to put the best techs on the money makers …
I now use DT … and sit at the glass window or roam the parking lot to make sure they get wrenched …
Lucky to have a pretty good crew at my DT … I don’t see this as “free” … you pay upfront and you pay later if you don’t get them rotated (DT will know it) …

Oil leak is probably rear main seal and they "couldn't find it" because its still under warranty. They'd rather flush your wallet and brake fluid than do low paying warranty jobs.

Honestly, I don’t know why anyone would chose the dealer for an oil change. That’s like going to the hair dresser and telling her...I don’t want you to cut it, just comb it. But charge me for the cut.

Kindly decline. Some people go for it so they ask.

Still miffed my wife's 2018 Tiguan got her Haldex fluid changed at 30k / 1
Year old at dealer insistence. The service interval is every 3 years then every two thereafter.

At 30,000 miles in one year I would be doing the diff locker fluid and filter change. Service intervals by dealers are not always correct. You wife is the smart one to get it done.

Ollie, do you also do 3,000 mile oil changes?

3,000 to 5,000 on my cars. 10 hours on my dual sport, and after every ride on my dirt bikes. I'm very picky in regards to brakes and fluids. I don't mess around with letting fluids getting dirty. In all honesty it's about every two years. If I was at the dealer for a service in 18 months I would have them flush all the fluids of my car.

Back