Dealership changes motor oil. Not what i went for but turned out very well.

i have a nice garage + enjoy DIY, + in winter a nice wood fire warms it, retired so LOTS of time + always change it hot after at least 30 min drive from somewhere. i let it drain a while as well! my indy is great BUT i would rather do it at home BUT he gets anything i dont want to do like the clutch job on my 2011 Fronty SV, my parts his reliable labor $400. dealers are good for some but a lot more $$$ as they have big overhead $$$. i had free oil services on my new at the time 2001 jetta + dealer would NOT use my synthetic oil so when i got home 45 min drive i dumped it in a clean container for girlfriends 99 malibu!! later on VW specs synthetic after sludge issues in the 1.8T i had for 200 thou without issue!!

i have a nice garage + enjoy DIY, + in winter a nice wood fire warms it, retired so LOTS of time + always change it hot after at least 30 min drive from somewhere. i let it drain a while as well! my indy is great BUT i would rather do it at home BUT he gets anything i dont want to do like the clutch job on my 2011 Fronty SV, my parts his reliable labor $400. dealers are good for some but a lot more $$$ as they have big overhead $$$. i had free oil services on my new at the time 2001 jetta + dealer would NOT use my synthetic oil so when i got home 45 min drive i dumped it in a clean container for girlfriends 99 malibu!! later on VW specs synthetic after sludge issues in the 1.8T i had for 200 thou without issue!!

I have no idea what you just said.

This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time was with a KIA.

VW has two prompts on the information screen. One is the oil change, the other is for inspection. Today I went in for inspection. When I get my invoice, it reads "oil change, tire balance plus rotation and inspection (dirty cabin air filter). " $89 for oil change with free tire balancing plus rotation and $20 for cabin air filter.

I pointed this out to the Service Advisor. Not in a defensive way, but as a simple error. Let me tell you...these guys were so apologetic it took me aback. The visit ended up being NO COST ( and they offered me a free oil change next time. The attitude and professionalism was so good that I turned down the free change because their owning up and apology was enough. I will have no problem spending my money there (hence below).

On a side not, when I purchase my oil change supplies at the dealer (6qts of VW508.00, oil filter and oil pan plug, it comes out to $65.

If I do it there, they siphon topside and balance/rotate your tires for $89. I might just switch the Passat to dealer service only. 🤔
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/EQo4smD7Ad5nKaPNqZ" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Nobody mentioned it yet but getting a cabin air filter replaced for $20 is a deal. Sure, there are some vehicles that require removing the glove box or trim pieces and are a PITA to get to the filter but most newer cars make it easy. The cost of the filters is about $10.
A lot of dealers charge $75 or so to do a cabin air filter replacement and use that service as a big profit maker.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2022
Nobody mentioned it yet but getting a cabin air filter replaced for $20 is a deal. Sure, there are some vehicles that require removing the glove box or trim pieces and are a PITA to get to the filter but most newer cars make it easy. The cost of the filters is about $10.
A lot of dealers charge $75 or so to do a cabin air filter replacement and use that service as a big profit maker.
Yeah when I read that I couldn't believe a dealer was charging only 20 quid....

Yep. My local Honda dealer charged me $55 for replacing the Odyssey cabin filter.