dealer oil changes not worth it

It’s tough, because I like techs, respect what they do and want them to make more money than they do, BUT I would never take my car to a dealer unless it was something like warranty or recall work. Vocational schools aren’t even eligible for Perkins grants anymore for their automotive programs because the trade itself has removed itself from eligibility, because the salary is so low nationally that it no longer qualifies. Think about that...the government doesn’t even consider automotive technicians as a career suitable for investment because of the low salary. Yet dealerships are charging these prices and doing just fine. Something is very very broken in automotive land...the guys doing the work aren’t getting paid like they should, but someone is.

You‘ll get absolutely torn to pieces at a dealership, they need to make money because...well, they have a right to that (plus high overhead) and you pay through the roof for services you don’t really need...brake fluid flush (which probably end up being a master cylinder turkey baster job), a ”upper engine cleaning service”, $100 bucks or more for a cabin air filter that you could do yourself for $15, an engine air filter (see cabin air filter), “fuel injector cleaning”...you want to know how some guys clean your injectors? By charging you $150 bucks for it and throwing the fuel injector cleaner into the t barrel or bottom of their tool box. And guess what? It wouldn’t make a difference anyway - the fuel injection “cleaning” is like buying a piece of swamp land.

I think the automotive industry is thoroughly broken right now. The cars are made too good and good techs are leaving the industry at a rapid pace.

They get a lot of people who say yes to all those things not needed. I would even say they will make things worse if they start playing with the brake fluid.

Really? 18 month old brake fluid is pretty dirty. I flush out mine every 12 - 24 months. It's not out of line to ask.

Guess I push that limit then as I've had many cars in the past with well over 100K miles and never once flushed the brake fluid or had it done. Never have had a single issue with the braking system on any of them except pad/rotor changes. When I got my Juke I was having an oil change at the dealership and the service advisor informed me that at the time I was about 18K on the odometer and maybe 1.5-2 yrs old Nissan highly recommends a brake fluid flush every 15K miles. I asked if it goes against the warranty and she said no. I said no to the flush and told her there's absolutely no possible way brake fluid can deteriorate that quickly in an uncompromised braking system. Then they'll give you the speech about brake fluid absorbing moisture, blah blah blah... Basically said 15K mile intervals is a **** joke! Then I asked them about checking the CVT fluid and they say Nissan said it's a closed system with very long life fluid. That it shouldn't even be looked at until the 60K mile point and then a sample can be graded and possibly exchanged if the number is high enough to warrant that. That was something to laugh at...

I just had an oil change and tire rotation done yesterday . The dealer suggested the engine air filter and cabin air filter needed to be changed . I refused the service and they said OK . I always get a survey later from the Service Advisor pleading for a perfect score so it's always a pleasant experience . Apparently his job hinges on customer satisfaction .

I just had an oil change and tire rotation done yesterday . The dealer suggested the engine air filter and cabin air filter needed to be changed . I refused the service and they said OK . I always get a survey later from the Service Advisor pleading for a perfect score so it's always a pleasant experience . Apparently his job hinges on customer satisfaction .
his bonus hinges on his satisfaction score

A local ford dealership here offered a free tank of gas.....IF you gave them a 5 out of 5 star review.

Guess I push that limit then as I've had many cars in the past with well over 100K miles and never once flushed the brake fluid or had it done. Never have had a single issue with the braking system on any of them except pad/rotor changes. When I got my Juke I was having an oil change at the dealership and the service advisor informed me that at the time I was about 18K on the odometer and maybe 1.5-2 yrs old Nissan highly recommends a brake fluid flush every 15K miles. I asked if it goes against the warranty and she said no. I said no to the flush and told her there's absolutely no possible way brake fluid can deteriorate that quickly in an uncompromised braking system. Then they'll give you the speech about brake fluid absorbing moisture, blah blah blah... Basically said 15K mile intervals is a **** joke! Then I asked them about checking the CVT fluid and they say Nissan said it's a closed system with very long life fluid. That it shouldn't even be looked at until the 60K mile point and then a sample can be graded and possibly exchanged if the number is high enough to warrant that. That was something to laugh at...
Newer Nissan's call for brake fluid in the maintenance schedule every 15K or 20K depending on the model year. Supposedly the brake fluid is hygroscopic absorbs moisture.

Just FYI: when something is "free", it is implied and almost globally understood that it's "free" to the person receiving the product or service. What you mean to say is, there is a cost to creating everything, even free stuff, which is obvious to most, but irrelevant to the person receiving the free good or service. Further, the supplier of the free product or service may be betting on receiving more business as a result of giving away free things, so they may even net out ahead. I've gotten many free things that I have never, ever paid for in any way whatsoever. The cost of the free item may increase later, but unless I pay more for it I do not realize that added cost and many things I've gotten for free I may never need again, and may have not even needed the one I got for free.

Just FYI: when something is "free", it is implied and almost globally understood that it's "free" to the person receiving the product or service. What you mean to say is, there is a cost to creating everything, even free stuff, which is obvious to most, but irrelevant to the person receiving the free good or service. Further, the supplier of the free product or service may be betting on receiving more business as a result of giving away free things, so they may even net out ahead. I've gotten many free things that I have never, ever paid for in any way whatsoever. The cost of the free item may increase later, but unless I pay more for it I do not realize that added cost and many things I've gotten for free I may never need again, and may have not even needed the one I got for free.

In the case of the "Free Oil Changes" -the cost of preforming the service is either built in to the price of the vehicle (if the program is sponsored by the factory) or the FINAL SALES PRICE if built in by the dealer. Nothing is "FREE".

I really like those who pay cash for vehicles ( and seemingly for moral reasons can't finance) -so I can take advantage of the lower than market interest rates that are built in the price of the vehicle one way or the other. And thank you to all those who don't take advantage of the "FREE" oil changes at the dealer-so each time I buy a new truck I can use the service. I have taken my vehicles in to the dealer for various reasons-dozens upon dozens of times, using dealers literally from coast to coast and haven't had one single issue-NOT ONE. Well sometimes the pop corn machine didn't have any popcorn in it..................

You've obviously never had your brake pedal go to the floor approaching Turn 12 at Road Atlanta. As I've said before, I'm not surprised that most US drivers are not concerned about the issue; I once heard a European engineer say that the difference between European drivers and American drivers is: European drivers don't care if the brakes squeal- just as long as they stop the car.
American drivers don't care if the brakes stop the car- just as long as they don't squeal.

When my dealer tries to sell an urgent oil leak repair I tell them my garage floor has no oil on it so what did your mechanic do to it. Also have said to them I`ll check it out and get back to them and by the way what is your name.

You've obviously never had your brake pedal go to the floor approaching Turn 12 at Road Atlanta. As I've said before, I'm not surprised that most US drivers are not concerned about the issue; I once heard a European engineer say that the difference between European drivers and American drivers is: European drivers don't care if the brakes squeal- just as long as they stop the car.
American drivers don't care if the brakes stop the car- just as long as they don't squeal.

Thing is I've always been about preventive maintenance and keep a close eye on every part of the car, same as with all other mechanical devices I have. I do test things like brakes quite often with heavy/abrupt stops, that sort of thing. Honestly have never had any issues and change pads as needed, rotors every other pad swap if needed, etc. As mentioned, yes brake fluid apparently absorbs moisture, but if a brake system has never been compromised in any way I doubt much moisture ever gets into the fluid. I did recently have the fluid exchanged along with the CVT/differentials fluids as well at the 74K mile point. Apparently my preventive maintenance/doing things within a practical/reasonable timeframe works in my favor as the master tech guy at the dealership said the entire car end-to-end is in like-new condition at 7 yrs/74K miles.

Guess I push that limit then as I've had many cars in the past with well over 100K miles and never once flushed the brake fluid or had it done. Never have had a single issue with the braking system on any of them except pad/rotor changes.

Brake fluid deteriorates over time just like any other. I will guarantee that your stopping distance has increased with 100,000 mile fluid. There is no way around it. Why are you letting brake fluid that go that long when it's a safety issue that puts yours and others lives at risk?

Thing is I've always been about preventive maintenance and keep a close eye on every part of the car, same as with all other mechanical devices I have. I do test things like brakes quite often with heavy/abrupt stops, that sort of thing. Honestly have never had any issues and change pads as needed, rotors every other pad swap if needed, etc. As mentioned, yes brake fluid apparently absorbs moisture, but if a brake system has never been compromised in any way I doubt much moisture ever gets into the fluid. I did recently have the fluid exchanged along with the CVT/differentials fluids as well at the 74K mile point. Apparently my preventive maintenance/doing things within a practical/reasonable timeframe works in my favor as the master tech guy at the dealership said the entire car end-to-end is in like-new condition at 7 yrs/74K miles.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and it doesn't have to absorb a lot of water to lower the boiling point of the fluid to a dangerous level.
brake fluid water-content-chart_0.jpg

In addition, the moisture can cause corrosion in the system. All of my cars get the DOT 4 brake fluid changed every two years, with the exception of the track rats, which have the fluid changed no longer than six months before an HPDE.

Brake fluid deteriorates over time just like any other. I will guarantee that your stopping distance has increased with 100,000 mile fluid. There is no way around it. Why are you letting brake fluid that go that long when it's a safety issue that puts yours and others lives at risk?

Point I'm trying to make is that I've had quite a few vehicles go that distance without changing the fluid and never had a single issue. I did recently have it changed in my current ride around the 73K mile mark. Given that the fluid has never been compromised and such clarity I have to use a flashlight just to see the level in the reservoir (of course some will dispute the whole thing with appearance meaning nothing) I'm quite satisfied with what I do. I will gladly call B.S. with a manufacturer (Nissan) or anybody else claiming 15K miles is max on brake fluid for a daily driver. As my braking system ages I 'might' have it flushed the next time 50K from now, but will wait/see.

Back