dashboard OCI says 86% life left at 1000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats what the oil change indicator says on my chevy rental at 1000 miles or about 10% oil life per 1000 driven
so will the oil last 10000 miles or does the rate change with mileage??
do people follow this indication or does Iffy Lubes 3000 mile change win them over?????

The Lube's 3,000 mile program is designed to get more money out of your pockets. I'm sure conventional oil can easily go over the 5,000 mark. and im sure synthetics can go well over 7,000 with a proper running motor

The OLM (Oil Life Monitor) in your Chevy rental is not linear to mileage. My Malibu Maxx LT is down to 69% at 1800 miles. This is probably due to the cold spell we had(single digits) at the begining of Dec and the useage of the vehicle(shorts trips and highway mix).
GM has a complex algorithm that calculates the oil life.

The newest GM vehicles have a revised OLM that can stretch the OCI out to 12,500 miles IIRC. It was tested and validated on conventional, non-synthetic motor oil, and there are many, many GM vehicles on the road that have made it to 250k miles and beyond with oil changes following the advice of the OLM and using conventional motor oil. Synthetics are less and less necessary. If you follow the OLM, the chances are very, very small that you will ever have an engine failure due to problems with lubrication. Follow it and stop worrying about it.

The OLM in my 04 saab 9-3 is more advanced than the standard GM OLMs, but I have found it to be pretty accurate and good.

All the same, Saab reduced their OCI max, likely because of people trying to cheap it out and not use syn oil, and others thinking they know better.

The OLM with a proper oil will do quite well.

JMH

JHZR2
Member # 712 posted January 02, 2006 01:30 AM
"The OLM in my 04 saab 9-3 is more advanced than the standard GM OLMs, but I have found it to be pretty accurate and good.

All the same, Saab reduced their OCI max, likely because of people trying to cheap it out and not use syn oil, and others thinking they know better.

The OLM with a proper oil will do quite well.
JMH"

Please provide evidence that the Saab OLM is "more advanced". Your '04 Saab 9-3 = My '04 Malibu Maxx LT with the exception of the drivetrain. Why would GM build a different OLM for each model? The algorithm for each is probably the same.

Well, I don't know about Saab's OLM being more advanced but I know mine is - Honda Ridgeline. Why? Because everything Honda touches is more advanced and has been for many years. Not only in autos but motors of all kinds from racers to boat engines to lawn mowers. Their record speaks for itself. If they put something on a vehicle, especially one like the Ridgeline - Motor Trend (and everyone else's) Truck of the Year, then you can bet it is state of the art.

Now that I got everyone all upset, let me say I was just bragging because I love my truck but I have no idea if Honda's OLM is better, the same or even similar to GM. Nonetheless, people who have had this vehicle for some time and OCI by the OLM have seen good UOA reports come back verifying that the OLM is well within the ball park as a good guide for OCI.

I plan on doing my maintenance by the OLM until a UOA comes back and says the OLM lied to me.

artyi
Member # 7931

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 03:50 AM Profile for martyi Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Well, I don't know about Saab's OLM being more advanced but I know mine is - Honda Ridgeline. Why? Because everything Honda touches is more advanced and has been for many years. Not only in autos but motors of all kinds from racers to boat engines to lawn mowers. Their record speaks for itself. If they put something on a vehicle, especially one like the Ridgeline - Motor Trend (and everyone else's) Truck of the Year, then you can bet it is state of the art.

I hate to say it, Marty but your claim of Honda being more advanced is a no no. For example, GM had electronic fuel injection available years before Honda. Not only that, but Honda was behind on going to distributor-less ignition systems too. Don't get me wrong, Honda makes awesome and reliable vehicles, but they are no more advanced than anything you can get domestically.

I know you were only braggin...the Ridgeline is a nice looking tru....uh vehicle. Personally I think "trucks" need to have a low range and be able to pull more than 5000 lbs, but it's still nice.

Saab OLM is "more advanced" I guess as it is programmed for a max 18000 mi. (or was it 30000KM) service interval when used with a GM-LL-A-025 type engine oil and the correct filter.

What I do find interesting is that the oil change intervals dictated by the GM OLM are "across the board" while the ones dictated by the Honda OLM generally falls between 5500-6500 miles...maybe the 3G TL AcuraZine crowd all drive the same...
confused.gif

The GM oil life monitor is pretty good in my opinion. I have seen LS2 Vettes go from 99% to 55% in a single day at the race track (around 100 miles), and yet the very same car use for a long trip would get 7,000 miles and still read above 20% left.

brianl703

Member # 3995

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 05:23 AM
"I like that state-of-the art LCD digital dash in the Civic. Reminds me of late 80s cars."

lol.gif
Maybe it's K.I.T.T re-incarnated...
was there a red light moving in the grill?

Posted by Zaedock:
"I hate to say it, Marty but your claim of Honda being more advanced is a no no. For example, GM had electronic fuel injection available years before Honda. Not only that, but Honda was behind on going to distributor-less ignition systems too. Don't get me wrong, Honda makes awesome and reliable vehicles, but they are no more advanced than anything you can get domestically."
- - - - - - - -

I guess it depends on how you define the term 'advanced'. Who is more advanced, the company that implements a new technology first, or the one who gets it RIGHT first?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back