Dang Gas Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is awfully overpriced in Cali just because it's Cali. I but the cheapest brand that I can find in 93 now and days. With 230k, I'm not to worried about gas brands...just use a great PEA enriched cleaner and you are good to go. I go with dirt cheap Jet-Pep gas that purchases it's gas from spot market. Maybe I have Shell in, idk. Oh I paid 2.65 for 93 yesterday.

Yesterday I went to an Exxon at a close neighboring city and paid $2.62. The Chevron about a half mile away was $2.61. Their prices are always lower than my cities. I paid $2.69 at an Exxon in my city. Highest price in my town is $2.78(ripoff really the rest of the Shell's are cheaper) at a Shell about 3 miles away from my house.

Originally Posted By: badnews
Gas will go high again and the market will crash because of it.
Everything is tied into oil / everything.

Last time it went to 4.00 plus and people sold off their gas guzzlers, one is not likely to sell the recent purchased vehicle to again buy a gas guzzler so that is one segment that will never buy GASOLINE IN VOLUME AGAIN .
THEY WILL NEVER LEARN .
They are cutting their own throats .
I see around here lots of new larger cars and pickups.

Presently we have visitors from Europe. They're blown away by all the huge vehicles people choose to drive around here.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Don't complain about gas price unless you live in these states: Alaska, California and Hawaii. Where I live, regular is $3.13 and up, few miles south the price is up $3.2x and further south it is $3.3x.

Too true, on the way to work today I passed several gas stations, all were at $3.37 for Regular.
Going down to California this summer---looking forward to cheap gas. :)

I paid 2.71 today [regular] at Mobil...It went up about 4 cents in the past few days...BP is now 5 cents higher then the other stations now...They used to be a couple of cents cheaper then the rest...I have no clue why anyone would pay more for BP gas.

I paid $2.75/gallon for Shell 87 today. There is not much I can do about the high prices of gas, except keep my truck tuned up and running the best I can to get the most MPG I can.

I seem to remember back a couple of years ago when gas went over 4 bucks a gallon some oil bigwig saying how in the 70's people threw a fit when gas went to $1.00 a gallon, but "they adjusted and got used to it", then in the 90's when it was $2.00 a gallon people adjusted and got used to it. I guess now in the 2010's gas is approaching $3.00 a gallon and we have to adjust our budgets and get used to it again..

I have a rudimentary understanding of how our economy and the dollar affects the price of oil and gas, but you can't tell me and I refuse to believe that the oil companies and oil industry lobbyists are not still making hand-over-fist huge profits, even with a weaker dollar. And they are doing it on the backs of people who are struggling just to buy food and pay their rent or mortgage, if they are lucky enough to still have a job. It's disgusting.

I just hope those folks up north can afford to heat their homes and eat at the same time this coming winter. What I really hate is how quickly the price of gas goes up even at the slightest hint of some change in oil price or supply, yet it takes 2 or 3 months for the price to come back down when the market and demand are stabilized or even decreased.

The whole thing just makes me sick but all I can do is adjust and get used to it.

Between the recent rise in oil prices AND the 'Harmonized Sales Tax' in Ontario, we've seen gas go from $0.85-$0.90/litre to $1.05-$1.07/litre.....and it's just starting on it's way up!!!

During the height of the last run-up, we saw prices of $1.35/litre. I suspect we will look back on those soon as 'low' prices!

I doubt we will see $2/litre, but $1.50-$1.70....I wouldn't bet against that, eventually.

boo hoo. its funny how everyone complains when the us has the cheapest gas prices in the world. in the uk gas is about~ 9 a gallon. just wait until gas starts to be heavily taxed like the brits.

i'm not worried about the price of gas as much as everything else that will go up in price along with gas, -food, energy.....and that may be the tipping point that implodes the dollar, then we all will be living in cardboard boxes. mass protests and martial law, but maybe thats what it will take for the people to get a backbone and take this country back from the tyrant bankers that control our lives.

sorry about the rant people

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jmaster
boo hoo. its funny how everyone complains when the us has the cheapest gas prices in the world. in the uk gas is about~ 9 a gallon. just wait until gas starts to be heavily taxed like the brits.

i'm not worried about the price of gas as much as everything else that will go up in price along with gas, -food, energy.....and that may be the tipping point that implodes the dollar, then we all will be living in cardboard boxes. mass protests and martial law, but maybe thats what it will take for the people to get a backbone and take this country back from the tyrant bankers that control our lives.

sorry about the rant people
Read this link completely and tell 10 people http://www.suethefed.com/

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: motorguy222
Its not the bankers fault.
Yes it is.

No,it isnt.It is the fault of an ever liberal agenda in the US.

Banks are out to make money just as you are,they were given orders from the g-ment to make loans to those that were not able to afford them.Did some get greedy,sure but they are not the cause of gas being high.

Banks are not the cause of our economic problems,some may have contributed to some small degree but they did not create the problems people are facing.

There was an agenda to loan money to those that normally should not have gotten them so that home ownership would and could increase.Those that were approved for this,for reasons that had nothing to do with banks,could no longer afford to make payments on those homes.

There was also an economic decline and that led to more and more housing problems.There was then more job loss and a less than friendly attitude toward business ideology that came about and that has only made things worse.

The high gas prices before helped to start the problems that we now see and that was before the banks were starting to get blamed.The blame on banks is part of an ideology used to control business,it is used to scare people into giving up more freedom and worked for a short time until many woke up and stopped drinking the kool-aid.

IMHO, and hindsight being 20/20, the day the OPEC cartel formed to set the supply and price of energy, it would have been within the National Security interests of the West, collectively, to begin pouring money into alternative sources of energy (not just in autos, but right across the board).

The technology is finally coming, but its nowhere near mainstream enough to do anything about the current oil prices and inevitable upward trends we will continue to see. We are, quite literally, held over a barrel.

Now we're caught between a rock and a hard place: we have developed much of the technology to remove much of our reliance on fossil fuels, but we are generations away from it being implemented and improved to a degree necessary to remove that reliance. Meantime demand, and resulting competition, for this resource from the increasingly industrializing (but generations behind us in terms of efficient usage) China is exploding. At the same time, they are projected to attain parity with the US and EU in terms of GDP making them a greater economic powerhouse than they're already becoming - and their annual GDP growth far outstrips the modest growth of the US and EU.

They're also a major net energy importer, and this will become a bigger and bigger factor from the twin forces of increased energy demand within China to meet their industrial needs, and the cheap and inefficient means they are using to do so.

The last ingredient in this stew which is not to be overlooked, is that we are increasingly looking to more and more marginal sources of oil. These sources cost more to extract and/or refine, and that cost is, and will continue to be, reflected on the price charged per barrel of crude.

The prices we see today are the result of many different sources converging together, and we are stuck over the barrel with having to pay whatever they charge, and its only going to increase and continue to increase.

We will never run out of oil. It will simply beome what is already occurring: increasingly expensive. Its similar to any other non-renewable commodity - prices may fluctuate over the short term, but long term it increases steadily.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back