Dang Gas Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LTVibe
Well, unfortunately those 'fools' have been using the weather-related outages to boost prices:

Quote:
"What you have now is the last of the spring maintenance season for refineries combining with Mother Nature wreaking havoc. The good news is that the seven refineries were mostly just power outages and not real damage, so they were back online pretty quickly, but the damage to prices had been done," said Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst for the Oil Price Information Service.

No I call them the crooks! I hate that they always use natural disasters to raise gas prices now. The world have been dealing with huricanes & tornadoes since the beginning, now they want to use it against us to raise gas. It's just [censored], I get very upset about it!! Especially the Lybia deal...a place where the US doesn't hardly even gets oil from, caused prices to raise due to FEAR that the fighting could spread to the larger exporters. Just a crock!

I keep wondering when the price will get high enough so that people cut back on driving some?

Traffic here again this morning was gridlocked.

No public transportation here unlike other countries and if you don't have a car you are afoot.

I have lived in several other countries both in Europe and Asia before retirement and you just do not see all those long haul trucks on the roads.

Stuff is shipped by rail, barge, etc.

Gas prices here this morning are running between $3.69 and $3.71 - a few cents higher at other stations.

Back in Wisconsin where I am from it is running $4.09 today for regular unleaded.

Their fuel tax is quite a bit higher than here.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: LTVibe
Well, unfortunately those 'fools' have been using the weather-related outages to boost prices:

Quote:
"What you have now is the last of the spring maintenance season for refineries combining with Mother Nature wreaking havoc. The good news is that the seven refineries were mostly just power outages and not real damage, so they were back online pretty quickly, but the damage to prices had been done," said Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst for the Oil Price Information Service.

No I call them the crooks! I hate that they always use natural disasters to raise gas prices now. The world have been dealing with huricanes & tornadoes since the beginning, now they want to use it against us to raise gas. It's just [censored], I get very upset about it!! Especially the Lybia deal...a place where the US doesn't hardly even gets oil from, caused prices to raise due to FEAR that the fighting could spread to the larger exporters. Just a crock!

Amen Brother.

$3.93 at my local 7-11 today for regular 87 octane. I am sure it's either right at or over $4.00 at the Marathon station up the street but I didn't pass by there today.

Something's gotta give. I hope things turn around very soon, whether it be sound and sensible decisions being made by those in control of our country and its policies, peace being restored in the Middle East and Africa or permission to drill our own oil is finally granted on a scale big enough to help us.

I hope and pray things get better for everyone very soon.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I keep wondering when the price will get high enough so that people cut back on driving some?

Traffic here again this morning was gridlocked.

No public transportation here unlike other countries and if you don't have a car you are afoot.

I have lived in several other countries both in Europe and Asia before retirement and you just do not see all those long haul trucks on the roads.

Stuff is shipped by rail, barge, etc.

I have to agree, there isnt much difference here either re; all the cars on the road still. of course I`m one of them I suppose...
45.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
$3.93 at my local 7-11 today for regular 87 octane. I am sure it's either right at or over $4.00 at the Marathon station up the street but I didn't pass by there today.

Something's gotta give. I hope things turn around very soon, whether it be sound and sensible decisions being made by those in control of our country and its policies, peace being restored in the Middle East and Africa or permission to drill our own oil is finally granted on a scale big enough to help us.

I hope and pray things get better for everyone very soon.

Something WILL give - it's called the economy.

Prices will go down soon, b/c economic activity in an already 'wounded' economy will ce hampered again by high energy prices.

I'm not worried about fuel prices - the NA economy cannot sustain prices over $4/gallon for very long.

With oil prices dropping significantly yesterday and continuing somewhat today, gas prices should do the same soon.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
With oil prices dropping significantly yesterday and continuing somewhat today, gas prices should do the same soon.

Yeah it`s funny how quickly they go up when crude goes up, But when crude goes down, the gas prices move like Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett show.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
I have a fleet card from my company so I normally don't directly feel the pain. My wife doesn't drive much, but I borrowed her car yesterday and the low fuel light came on. Cost me over $60 to fill a Ford Taurus.
eek.gif

Hope the prices adjust soon. This is very bad all sectors of the economy.

Down a penny from $4.16 to $4.15 for 93 octane up here in Rochester. I'm gonna be feeling the pain in 2 weeks when I go home for the summer though, 93 is about $4.45 - $4.50 at the cheapest down there
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
I have a fleet card from my company so I normally don't directly feel the pain. My wife doesn't drive much, but I borrowed her car yesterday and the low fuel light came on. Cost me over $60 to fill a Ford Taurus.
eek.gif

Hope the prices adjust soon. This is very bad all sectors of the economy.

+1 on the adjustment...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The today's news was that oil dropped to $111! Should we all rejoice? :)

- Vikas

The last time the national avg for reg gas was around $4 per gal the price per barrel was around $140 (2008). Now the price is around $4 per gal and the price of a barrel of oil is about $111 (2011).

Can someone help me with the math? What has changed since 2008, the value of the dollar, taxes?

to add more fuel to the fire,

yes that is true, from all the economic stimulus, injection of money supply into the markets creates velocity of money which pushes prices upward.

my grandfather use to remember 17c gas prices during the great depression 1931-1932ish,

looking at my gas bill today in california

4.49/gal/35.61 silver price as of today comes out to 12c a gallon measuring the same metric

thus gas prices are at a historic low

I'm pretty ticked... My wife and I have planned since winter to go to not only our first Indy car race... But the 100th anniversary of the Indy 500... now that the fuel cost will be more than the tickets... we are reconsidering.

low grade currently at 4.00/gal and expected to rise .30 cents/gal over next few weeks.

Originally Posted By: smithph
Originally Posted By: Vikas
The today's news was that oil dropped to $111! Should we all rejoice? :)

- Vikas

The last time the national avg for reg gas was around $4 per gal the price per barrel was around $140 (2008). Now the price is around $4 per gal and the price of a barrel of oil is about $111 (2011).

Can someone help me with the math? What has changed since 2008, the value of the dollar, taxes?

Today the cost of a barrel of crude is about $98, down $13 from a few weeks ago, The price of gas in my area has gone up 5 cents a gal while the crude prices have dripped $13.

Still struggling with the math on this.

2008, crude $140, national avg gas $4
April 2011, crude $111, national avg gas $4
May 2011, crude $98, national avg gas $4

$3.91 for regular unleaded at my local Marathon yesterday. I hear the latest thing they are blaming the price of gas on now is the refineries in the Southeast that "could be affected by the Mississippi flooding". It's just another excuse to jack the prices up and keep them up as long as possible.

I just read online that gas could be at $3.50 a gallon after Memorial Day. Lucky us...don't spend all the savings in one place now.

Originally Posted By: smithph

Still struggling with the math on this.

2008, crude $140, national avg gas $4
April 2011, crude $111, national avg gas $4
May 2011, crude $98, national avg gas $4

Value of the US dollar. Print $$$$ out of thin air and this is the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back