Dad's new 911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks nice. Wish I had a neighbor with one--I can't see myself ever buying one, but I wouldn't mind slipping him a fiver for a ride once in a while.

Of course, our roads would eat one alive.

They might, as long as you follow the plow. My Jetta whacks everything on the road (the snow droppings from wheelwells), and I'm pretty sure it's got more ground clearance than that.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
With AWD and snow tires they make great winter cars.

Hows the rustproofing on them though?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The rustproofing on my '89 944 Turbo was excellent. I imagine it's only improved since then.

Beautiful car, OP.

Last edited:

Most German cars are at least decent in rustproofing (with a few exceptions), particularly the higher end ones. Galvanized unibodies go a long way towards making things last in the salt.

The old cars turned to dust at the sight of salt, but I have never seen a newer one rust. They seem to hold up as well as any other modern car.

A guy I worked with a few years back had a 2002 911 Turbo that he DD'ed. When I was working with him it had over 200,000 miles on it and was rust-free. I don't think I ever even saw him wash it.

I remember that one year at the Maine Forest WINTER Pro Rally (back when SCCA still ran them), Jeff Zwart (Stuttgartphile that he is) ran a late '90s/early '00s Carrera C4s on the icy and snow bound stage roads, with the requisite, dirt bike narrow, Michelin C, or NA series tires, of course (they did not allow studs on the forest roads, so some were using Nokian Hakkas).

I think he did fairly well that year, if I recall correctly.

I have taken a 4S out in 6-8 and it was like a rally car with Blizzaks.

I light snow its better than a truck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back