D2S HID bulb: Philips ($120) or Osram ($138) or Cheap off brand ($19)?

Wow … that's a nice river for the home state. (muddy rivers on my coastal/flat farm regions)
Closest I have been to there was some backpack camping around Uvalde when I was young.
Have to study up on that area now.

Previously only the Guadalupe, Comal, and Frio were clean rivers I have been on in Texas.

After being member of some big Swedish light equipment group for years, all the tests say Philips Xtremevision gen 2 or Osram NBL. Not just most light output, it lasts longer, and it lasts longer before it looses some of its output, as xenons do over time. And the best part is that the good bulbs do have a better light symmetry, no weak spots. In everything I own I have changed the bulbs to these, and they just lasts... With very good lighting. As it is needed in Norway/Sweden at winter with darkness 18 h./day as it is in the worst winter months. I would not reduce my security at the road by having lesser bulbs and save just a couple of dollars per year of the best lifetime of the bulb.

Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada
Here are pictures of the 3 bulbs I am looking at on Amazon and some shots of my lights on my 2012 Infiniti QX56.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Osram and Philips are less than 5000K. The Osram Night Breaker Laser is 4200K and Philips XV2 are 4800K

newer Osram CBI's (CBH) are more like 5000K, despite Osram claiming "up to 6000K"

I'm running DDM Tuning Ultra 5500K (for now) D3S. I may get Philips XV2 next.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

The Osram and Philips are less than 5000K. The Osram Night Breaker Laser is 4200K and Philips XV2 are 4800K

newer Osram CBI's (CBH) are more like 5000K, despite Osram claiming "up to 6000K"

I'm running DDM Tuning Ultra 5500K (for now) D3S. I may get Philips XV2 next.

I ran the XV2's in my Durango, I liked them far far more than my CBI's, but both of those blew the Morimoto 4500k's out of the water.

Yes, I have a problem with headlights, please don't judge me too harshly
lol.gif
I'll be ordering some H9's and 9011's for my ram to upgrade the H11 and 9005's that are in it now

Originally Posted by edyvw
If it is not Osram or Philips, it is NOT going into my headlights.

GE Nighthawk is excellent.

I used Morimoto HID bulbs on my old Infiniti. Worked great and were significantly cheaper than others.

Thanks for all the tips so far. Ideally, I would love to buy the expensive ones, but the price difference with the cheaper ones which seems to still work ok is why I am reluctant to buy the expensive ones.

For those who have mentioned I could find them cheaper, please, if you have a link I would appreciate it. Since the only price I have seen for the expensive ones has been more than $125 shipped. That price looks a bit too high when I see I can buy some off brands for like $20 to $40 and they seem to also have good light output and last for like 3 years or more.

LOl, I have to save some money if I want the expensive one, but if I decide on the cheaper ones I can place an order any time.

I am looking at the cheaper suggestions some people have made so far. I appreciate that info a lot. If you share any cheaper and good one and have a link and can share, please do. I truly appreciate it all, guys.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

OK, GE too. Point is, I am not experimenting with those things. One is not paying just brightness but general reliability and compatibility. 90% of cars come with Osram and Phillips bulbs for a reason.

OK, GE too. Point is, I am not experimenting with those things. One is not paying just brightness but general reliability and compatibility. 90% of cars come with Osram and Phillips bulbs for a reason.

They're the lowest bidder.

I'm sure if the OEM's could get away slapping some $20 Chinese HID's in, they absolutely would. Osram and Philips certainly aren't the lowest bidder.

Hardly, Osram and Philips are companies that work with manufacturers to develop lighting.
HiD lights came first time in BMW E32 as consequence of cooperation between BMW and Hella and Bosch. Laser lights are developed by Philips and BMW.
It is not lowest bidding, it is know-how and long term cooperation between these companies.
But sure, RCP is not chosen bcs. they are expensive and quality driven.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

I'm sure if the OEM's could get away slapping some $20 Chinese HID's in, they absolutely would. Osram and Philips certainly aren't the lowest bidder.

I doubt most of the Chinese companies could come close to handling the volume needed to be an OEM vendor.

Of course...I would be surprised if the Osram and Phillips lights WEREN'T made in China.

I doubt most of the Chinese companies could come close to handling the volume needed to be an OEM vendor.

Of course...I would be surprised if the Osram and Phillips lights WEREN'T made in China.

My Philips were German made.

Where they made is irrelevant, and Osram HiD that I put last year in Tiguan were Made in Germany. QC is what matters.

HID bulbs were popular on Mercedes also. With the cheap bulbs, I always saw posts in the forums from people who would complain about flickering or why one bulb would go out and then come back because they got the cheap fakes. They're fakes for a reason and they're basically no good. It costs more to get fakes and replace them with real ones rather than to just pay up and get real ones to begin with. Several manufacturers have programs that help you spot fakes like having a specific code on them that you can verify with the manufacturer.

I got a pair of those fakes on eBay. They looked authentic right down to the spot welds and print on the bulb bases. They came in boxes that said "Genuine Lexus Parts" and the bulbs were wrapped in foam and cardboard tubes inside the boxes. I wasn't aware before then that 85% of the HIDs you buy online are fakes. The seller gave me a refund as soon as I contacted him about one of the bulbs going dark and then coming back on intermittently. My GFs 2011 Lexus IS250 came with Philips HIDs from the factory. Lexus charges $150 each for them. I went to Philips' web site and it explained how to verify that you've received genuine bulbs. You scan a QR code with your phone and then type in the code from the hologram sticker on the box and Philips verifies the authenticity. I followed a link from the Philips site to an authorized seller on Amazon and paid $55 each for bulbs that are, in fact, genuine.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
I got a pair of those fakes on eBay. They looked authentic right down to the spot welds and print on the bulb bases. They came in boxes that said "Genuine Lexus Parts" and the bulbs were wrapped in foam and cardboard tubes inside the boxes. I wasn't aware before then that 85% of the HIDs you buy online are fakes. The seller gave me a refund as soon as I contacted him about one of the bulbs going dark and then coming back on intermittently. My GFs 2011 Lexus IS250 came with Philips HIDs from the factory. Lexus charges $150 each for them. I went to Philips' web site and it explained how to verify that you've received genuine bulbs. You scan a QR code with your phone and then type in the code from the hologram sticker on the box and Philips verifies the authenticity. I followed a link from the Philips site to an authorized seller on Amazon and paid $55 each for bulbs that are, in fact, genuine.

Yep, that is what I did too. Both Phillips and Osram have that authentication process.
There is a reason why people fake Phillips and Osram, and not some no name brands. And they do not sell fake Osram's or Phillips bcs. they are lowest bidders.

There is a reason why people fake Phillips and Osram, and not some no name brands.

Cultists.

Most of what I read says it's because those brands perform best and last longest. The little glass bubble in the capsule contains salts. The chemical makeup of the salts in the Philips bulbs provides a certain color and quality of lighting that the others supposedly don't match. You can buy cheaper ones, don't get me wrong. The fakes that I bought did have a slightly different color of light, but they seemed to perform quite well - until one of them started failing after a month. There are claims about issues with the OEM ballasts and exploding capsules, but I don't have enough experience with HID bulbs to comment on that. Why would the OEMs use them if they weren't somehow better when other brands can be had for a lot less money?

Back