Cut Open Fram Ultra XG7317

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram Ultra XG7317

About 5k miles on a 2008 Honda Civic EX. PU 5w-20.

I have to admit that the Fram Ultra pleats look a lot better than the Purolator Synthetic I cut open recently.

So far I'm pretty happy with it.

Looks pretty sweet! Funny how the thing is built like a tank but still has that plastic bypass valve. I know its a non-concern but, still.

Looks great. I have an XG7317 on dock for my Altima V6 for the next oil change.
thumbsup2.gif

Of the 4 main lines of Fram oil filter, Ultra is the most reasonably priced filter, the 2 over-priced filters are Extra Guard and High Mileage.

Umibozu: Nice work but you do realize you are throwing away about 66% of the capacity you paid for. It's a 15K mile filter. Just sayin'...

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Umibozu: Nice work but you do realize you are throwing away about 66% of the capacity you paid for. It's a 15K mile filter. Just sayin'...

You wouldn't believe the pushback I got when I told a Civic forum I used mine for two intervals or ~14k miles

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

You wouldn't believe the pushback I got when I told a Civic forum I used mine for two intervals or ~14k miles

The latter part of my signature says it all.
cool.gif
34.gif

BTW, great pics. The FU looks like a great filter. FRAM did their homework on this one.
thumbsup2.gif

I know I know but I just recently cut some purolator filters around 5k miles and wanted to see the condition of the fram ultra near the same mileage.

My next OCI will be 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

True, I would imagine you would get a little pushback outside of the bitog world...heck I even notice push back on here as well lol.

Originally Posted By: Umibozu
...heck I even notice push back on here as well lol.

C'mon now. Whom in their right mind here would do something like that?
27.gif

Seriously, that is a great looking filter and if FRAM says it will do 15K miles I'm sure it will.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Looks pretty sweet! Funny how the thing is built like a tank but still has that plastic bypass valve. I know its a non-concern but, still.

Its made out of nylon.

If they dump the plastic bypass and the leaf spring, I would move away from WIX once in a while. That is a nice looking filter.

I can get a Wix synthetic filter and have none of the drawbacks I see in the pics posted above.

Tell me why I should use a FRAM Ultra at $9 when I can get a Motorcraft for under $4? I don't see the FRAM offering more than double the value...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Tell me why I should use a FRAM Ultra at $9 when I can get a Motorcraft for under $4? I don't see the FRAM offering more than double the value...

I agree with you RFO. But, can a MC be used for 15K miles? I just think the FU is a well built filter and for those that want to go 15K mile OCI's this would be the filter to use. (Just an opinion)

Originally Posted By: Umibozu

I know I know but I just recently cut some purolator filters around 5k miles and wanted to see the condition of the fram ultra near the same mileage.

My next OCI will be 10k miles.

Good! Lately there have been a rash of underutilized premium product reports here and I've gotten used to tossing in the reminder. In your case, it was all part of a wise plan so my reminder was redundant. And we all learned something with you.

Originally Posted By: Falken
If they dump the plastic bypass and the leaf spring, I would move away from WIX once in a while. That is a nice looking filter.

I can get a Wix synthetic filter and have none of the drawbacks I see in the pics posted above.

I'd love to see a Wix Synthetic cut open
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
can a MC be used for 15K miles?
I'll concede that point, although I used to run MC FL400S filters for 10k intervals on my old Taurus. I don't see why an FL820S won't do at least the same, provided the engine is healthy.

*Clarification* I don't mean to imply the Ultra is not a good filter. I think FRAM finally got it right this time, but it's still overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back