Contenders as alternatives to the XG7317

Looks like the AMSOIL filter for your application is the EA15K13 (99% @ 20 microns):

However, it appears they don't have stock on it right now :(

Has anyone seen the relatively new TRD PRO oil filters that can be had from Amazon? They look like a mix of the Royal Purple internal filter with an e-core center in a black K&N style can with the 1 inch nut on the dome. Pricey but claimed efficiency is 99% @ 25 micros:

Curious, when you say PureOne, are we talking the older Yellow cans or the current Blue? is it still that efficient today? I am considering them, but for the price may stick to the Ultra.
There are some old threads in this forum that show correspondence from Purolator (when the engineers there actually answered questions) showing the efficiency vs micron rating of the old yellow PureOne. If I recall correctly, they were saying it was also around 80% @ 5u.

The current PureOne is shown to be 99% @ 20u on the Purolator website. Of course, that's based on their gigantic 30001 filter model like they have always done.

Has anyone seen the relatively new TRD PRO oil filters that can be had from Amazon? They look like a mix of the Royal Purple internal filter with an e-core center in a black K&N style can with the 1 inch nut on the dome. Pricey but claimed efficiency is 99% @ 25 micros:

Box says 98% @ 20u.

I actually like the nylon eCore center tube with metal end caps design. The cage looks tight, which is good and with the media backing it's even better.

1642709616778.png

Looks like the AMSOIL filter for your application is the EA15K13 (99% @ 20 microns):

However, it appears they don't have stock on it right now :(
Correct. That was another reason why I started looking to compile a list of options. I’d like confirmation on the efficiency of the new Ultra. I like the looks of the Champ XL that was posted, but would like their efficiency checked.

Until that’s verified I’m looking at the RP, Wix/NG, or P1 still. Engine is clean and mostly highway miles should make any of those options doable. It’s more a matter of efficiency and ofc a silicone ADV.

@Ignatius Looks an awful lot like the updated RP actually. Wonder if I can find a listing for my car.

Here's the weird thing as far as I'm concerned, we have all these Champ made filters with many similarities like Amsoil, Royal Purple, and TRD PRO as well as Mobil 1, Champ XL, etc but despite their similarities there are differences in what is reported with things like filtration efficiency.

For example I cannot say conclusively that the royal purple and amsoil filters use the exact same filter media, however Ascent Filtration's testing has shown that the Royal Purple performed marginally below the Fram Ultra (which is 99% @ 20 microns) while another filter rated at 99% @ 25 microns (Purolator Boss) had noticably lower filtration efficiency as compared to the Royal Purple per testing results.

My point being that I surmise that the current version of the Royal Purple oil filter is likely closer to the, if not the exact same, filtration efficiency reported by the Amsoil oil filter being 99% @ 20 microns or thereabouts. Now Royal Purple on their website claim filtration efficiency of 99% @ 25 microns but at the same time this product has undergone some substantial revamping in recent times so perhaps whoever is running their website might just be behind the times when it comes to updating their information.

@Ignatius I definitely thought RP outdid it’s marketing in the test. I made a point earlier that Wix/NG for this engine has a beta of 2/20 = 6/20. So, 95% @ 20 micron, right? But on the same site it states 99% @ 23 micron; as an average of 3 filters including the one for this engine. Like, where is the clarity? I have a hard time believing it’s 95% at 20 if it’s 99% at 23 but that’s just me. Hard to put absolute confidence in what’s quoted these days. The Boss results didn’t surprise me. It’s only 99% at 25 micron on the huge 30001. I prefer seeing the “average” of several approach that Fram and Wix puts out.

Correct, 2/20=6/20 is 50% @ 6u and 95% @ 20u.
Seems like the 95% at 20u could be outdated; given the same filter is part of the “average” 3 that net 99% at 23u. 🤔

You’d figure they would market all Wix/NG off that. But then again, maybe people would see Fram advertising 99+% at 20u and automatically think it’s better.

Here's the weird thing as far as I'm concerned, we have all these Champ made filters with many similarities like Amsoil, Royal Purple, and TRD PRO as well as Mobil 1, Champ XL, etc but despite their similarities there are differences in what is reported with things like filtration efficiency.

For example I cannot say conclusively that the royal purple and amsoil filters use the exact same filter media, however Ascent Filtration's testing has shown that the Royal Purple performed marginally below the Fram Ultra (which is 99% @ 20 microns) while another filter rated at 99% @ 25 microns (Purolator Boss) had noticably lower filtration efficiency as compared to the Royal Purple per testing results.

My point being that I surmise that the current version of the Royal Purple oil filter is likely closer to the, if not the exact same, filtration efficiency reported by the Amsoil oil filter being 99% @ 20 microns or thereabouts. Now Royal Purple on their website claim filtration efficiency of 99% @ 25 microns but at the same time this product has undergone some substantial revamping in recent times so perhaps whoever is running their website might just be behind the times when it comes to updating their information.

The AMSOIL filter apparently uses the Donaldson Synteq media and then assembly is handled by Champ, WIX, Donaldson...etc depending on the application. Since these medias all look the same (except the FRAM stuff) if both cans were assembled by the same company, you'd not be able to discern the difference.

Back