Contenders as alternatives to the XG7317

Hi there, I’ve been using the Fram Ultra XG7317 on an 07 Honda Fit almost exclusively for years. Due to the recent updates on the Ultra, I figured to peek around at other options for the 10k-13k intervals it typically sees.

So, while I may stick with the Ultra; as it’s efficiency and holding capacity are supposedly still excellent, I’m looking at a few options outside of Fram as the perception is a cost cutting move.

What I’m looking for is a filter with a min. 95% @ 20micron or 99% at 25 micron. I believe this minimum excludes the likes of the M1-110A(99% at 30) WixXP 57356XP or the Boss PBL14610.

So far, my list includes-

Wix 57356 95% @ 20 per their website; “possibly” 99% at 23micron per some of their updated numbers I’ve read on 3 other filters tested.

PureONE PL14610 exact Efficiency?; supposedly 99% @ 25micron at least. Seems to have solved the tearing issues from years past.

Royal Purple 10-2867 99% at 25micron and 98.7% at 20micron. Though the filter test ran on the Chevy showed 99% at 20micron.

^Of those, I like that the RP is fully synthetic and is a wire backed media. This got me looking on some recent cut up YT videos by Whip City Wrencher.

The updated Ultra XG7317- Media is 101.5 Sq In

The RP 10-2867- Media is 51.6 Sq In

A little bit surprising that the Ultra has almost twice the total media. So, why would I pay more for the RP? Closest to the Ultra in efficiency, but what’s the downside; other than cost? I change the oil once every 8 months or so; usually by 12k-13k. Mostly highway miles. I don’t “think” holding capacity is really an issue for me. Those 3 seem to be my best options so far. Any suggestions or opinion?

Side note- I noticed several unused filters cut open with excess glue around the end caps. It was then easily scraped off with a fingernail. The YT has a PureONE cutting that’s covered in excess glue. Not necessarily a problem if the flow is toward media? Anyone have thoughts on cleanliness of the mp? Harmless?

I would, but I have no idea what the efficiency/micron ratings are.
Is that the equivalent to the Extra Guard? 🤔If that’s so, I believe they claim 95% at 20 micron. 😳 Not sure I’d run one beyond 10k to be safe tho. One of the reasons I listed the ones I’m considering is their construction seems durable for extended intervals.

EDIT: I should’ve also included Silicone ADV as a requirement. 🤓

Last edited:
xg7317 as these figures are from the older one. Newer one has even better numbers.

What we really could use is @Ascent Filtration Testing to test the new updated Ultra to update the graph! 😃😁 The RP did well in the test, too.

I did see the email someone got from Fram with the supposed improved efficiency at sub-20 micron. I’m still somewhat leery of CS support and their reliability with “technical” data. That’s just me. The media is thinner than before, but they added more of it. I’m satisfied with them sticking to it being basically the same efficiency as before. I guess the only question is durability now compared with before.

What we really could use is @Ascent Filtration Testing to test the new updated Ultra to update the graph! 😃😁 The RP did well in the test, too.

I did see the email someone got from Fram with the supposed improved efficiency at sub-20 micron. I’m still somewhat leery of CS support and their reliability with “technical” data. That’s just me. The media is thinner than before, but they added more of it. I’m satisfied with them sticking to it being basically the same efficiency as before. I guess the only question is durability now compared with before.
there are people who take the orange can beyond 20k and cut them open with great results.

A little bit surprising that the Ultra has almost twice the total media. So, why would I pay more for the RP?
Media area on the new Ultra went up in order to maintain holding capacity and the up to 20K mile rating. Can't directly compare full synthetic and non-synthetic media area, two different animals.

It says synthetic blend media, but it does have the wire backing. Interesting.
Not so sure it has the wire backing anymore. The box is like the new Ultra where the line that said wire backed media is now the "perfect seal gasket" description.

1642642063948.png

The XG7317 ($8.xx) is still the best bang for the buck, but you could save $3 with the MP7317 ($5.xx) if saving a few $ is the goal.

Last edited:
Back