Cross it off the list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I cross off anything new that has rear drum brakes and hubcaps.
There's no reason any vehicle should have drum brakes. I'm looking at a new car purchase but am having trouble finding one without *%$#@%^ that is unneeded and will fail long before the vehicle reaches the end of service. Wish I was still driving my 54 Ford with the Y block. Wouldn't pull the hat off your head but was reliable and easy to work on.
Quick question. How would deal with the need for a parking brake? OTOH, in NE, they aren't essential.
grin2.gif

Ahh the Y block. Wasn't that just the end run flathead with an over head valve head added? I had a 53 and a 51 and they went pretty good.

There are at least a couple of ways to implement parking brakes on rear discs .

We had a Chevy Lumina , the piston " screwed " out to apply the discs . Had to " screw " it back in when replacing pads . The parking brake mechanism actuated a " retch " that tightened them .

I have read of rear discs with a small internal " drum " section and small brake shoes .

Wyr
God bless

1)FWD
2)FWD-based AWD/4WD (transverse engine, no center diff, etc. like Ford Explorers, Taurus interceptors, many Japanese CUVs)

Not opposed to turbo. Not really opposed to CVT in principle, though there are no CVTs currently in production that I would accept.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I have always read the front brakes do more of the work .

While I had rather work on disc brakes than drum , good drum brakes are probably sufficent for rears .

Wyr
God bless

MUCH more.

This is true even in a car with a slightly rear-biased static weight distribution. That's why even a Porsche 911, with the engine hanging off the rear axle, has much bigger front brakes than rear.

But most cars have massively forward-biased static weight distributions. Usually around 60/40 front/rear. Throw in forward load transfer under braking, and you end up with the front brakes doing almost all the work.

Anything European
Most CVTs

A lot of people say GDI. I don’t see the problem? I don’t hear of GDI issues.

The only instant disqualifications for me are:

1. Problematic transmissions: Ford dual clutch (really jerky), Nissan CVT (unreliable), VW dual clutch (needs serviced too much), etc...
2. A noisy cabin: a car has to have a quiet ride for me to consider it

Touch screen systems that don't have real buttons for frequently used or critical controls. Better yet is no touch screen at all. Ironic since I work in Information Technology

Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
Touch screen systems that don't have real buttons for frequently used or critical controls. Better yet is no touch screen at all. Ironic since I work in Information Technology

I also work in Information Technology and hate touch screens in cars. Maybe it is because we know how often stuff can fail/have gltiches.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I also work in Information Technology and hate touch screens in cars. Maybe it is because we know how often stuff can fail/have gltiches.
lol.gif

This!

Plus, I hate seeing fingerprints on computer screens.

The attitude against "new tech" is laughable on this forum generally.

Just buy a Crown Vic and get it done with......

I just bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe XL-$31,000.00 after rebates. It has (new tech wise) GDI, AWD, touch screen radio with all the goodies and all the driver assist such as lane departure, etc.,

Well see how it holds up. 9,000 miles and counting.

Last edited:
I try to keep an open mind. Things like CVTs and DI and turbos from 5 years ago are OK for me now. I'm all about reliability, safety and fun to drive now. Ed

Originally Posted By: CKN
The attitude against "new tech" is laughable on this forum generally.

Just buy a Crown Vic and get it done with......

EXACTLY how I feel. If I can run across a 1 owner, very clean, 5-7 year old Crown Vic with 35K miles or less at a good price....that's for me. Grand Marquis as well. Even some of the used Lincoln Town Cars. Keep all the bells and whistles, nav system, computers for the kids....I just want a simple daily driver that will last and have minimal repairs. If they offered manual roll up windows, I'd prefer it...lol.

But try and find that "perfect" used CV/GM before Granny trades it in to the new car dealer for peanuts (ie $3K-$6K). Hard to do.

Things I'd avoid in order of priority:

keyless go because they are too easy to steal
Run flat tires, Stupidly low profile tires and anything else that destroys ride quality.
AWD
dual clutch gearbox
Direct injection
Touch screen that you have to use

No problem at all with turbo or blown 4 cylinder engines. I'll be OK with stop start when they have engineered it properly and it can be turned off when desired.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

lol.gif

I also work in IT and really like SOME of the touchscreen systems. Go figure.

Not in any particular order, but my pet peeves:
Poor ride quality and noise insulation
Poor reliability
Uncomfortable seats
Coupes
When car fax is available: bad maintenance history
Convertibles
DSGs
[censored] replacement tires (replaced recently, aka I don't have a reason to replace immediately)
Poor resale value
Nissan, GM, and Chrysler products
Uncommon vehicles

I keep my cars a long time so I look for simplicity and reliability.

Things I'd avoid:
CVT (haven't driven one I liked yet)
Dual Clutch transmission (might be good eventually but for now they're "untested")
Automatic transmission (otherwise good old cars often get scrapped when the tranny blows)
auto shut off (unnecessary complication)
cylinder de-activation (unnecessary complication)
touch screens (I prefer a simple knob to control stereo volume, temperature, etc)
adjustable everything (yes I am looking at you M5)
poor repair record

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Some rear disc bakes have drums on them for the parking brake. My Gen Coupe with Brembo brakes does.

I had a WRX with four wheel disc brakes and it used the inside hat of the rotor for the drum containing brake shoes for the parking brakes.
My wifes Audi has a silly electronic parking brake with a motor on each rear caliper to squeeze the pads agasint the rotor when you set the parking brake. Gotta do it since its a stick
which is a peeve against the Audi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dorian
Not in any particular order, but my pet peeves:
Poor ride quality and noise insulation
Poor reliability
Uncomfortable seats
Coupes
When car fax is available: bad maintenance history
Convertibles
DSGs
[censored] replacement tires (replaced recently, aka I don't have a reason to replace immediately)
Poor resale value
Nissan, GM, and Chrysler products
Uncommon vehicles

You have two cars in your signature pushing 20 years old and your concerned about resale value?

There seems to be a lot of commonality in our dislikes so it strikes me that we must mostly be all of a certain age.

The problem is car manufactures design according to the whims and fancies of a 12 year old so of course simplicity, reliability and longevity doesn't come in to it.

Turbo, Direct injection and an auto tranny that's doesn't have a dipstick.
spankme2.gif

In regards to the electronic ebrake, are there any vehicles that still allow you to "drift" similar to when there was an actual lever??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back