Craigslist Oddities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought and sold on Craigslist for years. I had a very weird interaction recently. We sold our television after recently replacing it. The TV was a 10 year old LG LCD that was functioning fine when I unplugged it. The buyer came by, hooked the TV up to a computer to test the screen and was satisfied when he left with the television. About 12 hours later, he contacted me to say that the screen resolution was not sharp and the color was off. Keep in mind, this is 12 hours after he tested it himself and said it looked great. Who is to say what happened to the TV when he transported it under his possession.

He has not asked for a refund but stated in the email he wasn't sure if the ad or myself told him the screen resolution was not 100%. He is insinuating he was misled in some way. I'm furious, the TV was working fine and now it is not.

I want to reach out and help (it could be that he has the screen settings off) but am worried that opens up my liability. It seems my options are do nothing or give the money back (essentially buying back a TV that was working but is now broken).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sounds bad but this is a "too bad, so sad" story. Just tell him that his 30 foot 30 second warranty is up.

It's used electronics. IMO he's trying to feel you out. Time to cut the cord (so to speak).

It's an as is sale. No refunds.

He probably hit a bad pothole on the way home.

Now he is texting my phone with the same info from the email. I told him that we tested it in the parking lot and he said the picture looked great. I think that shut it down, but the attack on my integrity really makes me mad.

I agree with what others have posted, you really have to assume people are out to defraud you (as a seller) otherwise you might as well open yourself up to liability even if you list it for free! There is no telling if he dropped it and is switching it out.

Last edited:
Take no action. Ignore. If you re-engage you'll look soft.

Who buys a used TV when new ones are $89 for a 32" at walmart? WM tracks return scammers through credit card numbers and drivers licenses and cuts them off. You don't have the same resources and your sale was as-is.

If he corners you eg in person ask him if it did it on the test drive. If he says yes, you say why'd you buy it. If he says no, then you sold him a good tv. Win-win logic.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Take no action. Ignore. If you re-engage you'll look soft.

Who buys a used TV when new ones are $89 for a 32" at walmart? WM tracks return scammers through credit card numbers and drivers licenses and cuts them off. You don't have the same resources and your sale was as-is.

If he corners you eg in person ask him if it did it on the test drive. If he says yes, you say why'd you buy it. If he says no, then you sold him a good tv. Win-win logic.

That's how I responded. I texted him his direct quote when it was tested, that the picture looks great and that after that he left with the television. He replied that I should enjoy my evening (or such) and that's the last I've heard.

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
I think that shut it down, but the attack on my integrity really makes me mad.

It's some idiot from Craigslist, don't take it personally. 1 in 50 or so transactions will be a headache, the rest will be seamless. Don't let the one bad apple ruin it.

This is why I don't sell electronics on CL. To many shenanigans and scams. The resell value is usually too low anyway to deal with the hassle. I always put "as-is" in the post and use my Google Voice number.

Just ignore.

Dear TV buyer,

I'm not a scum bag or a crook. The TV was in perfect working order this morning, when you bought it. If it wasn't in perfect working order, I have morals, and I would have thrown it in the trash can, and not sold it on Craigslist. I feel sorry that you are not happy with the TV, but the TV was perfect condition when you bought it. It could have been damaged in transit, which is likely, and of course, not my fault. The TV was sold as is, where is, and you had the opportunity to test it before you bought it. Sorry, there is nothing more I can do for you.

Sincerely,

The Dude.

I sold a perfect, and I mean perfectly running Stihl weed trimmer on Craigslist. It was a low hour unit, that I had just tuned up, and this thing screamed, and ran PERFECT. Started on the first pull, or at most, the second pull. Guy bought it and left. Didn't start it, or ask to see it run. 2 hours later he calls me screaming that I sold him a broken weed trimmer. Obscenities, where he was going to shove the weed trimmer, etc. I told him to calm his horses and bring it back, and I would show him how to start it.

I primed the bulb, pulled twice, and it started and ran perfect. I looked at him like he was an idiot, and he threw it in his truck and left.

You have to realize that 80% of the folks you meet are absolute morons.

After the sentiment to have a good evening he let loose in another text saying these are known issues after the TV is on for an hour and accusing me of fraud.

I had to block him. I've never had anything like this before.

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
I always give a 5 year or 5 minute warranty whichever comes first, on anything I sell.,,,,

Are you sure that's not too long .
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
He ALREADY owns the same TV. His is bad and he will return his for the money and keep your good one.

THIS ^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Chris142
He ALREADY owns the same TV. His is bad and he will return his for the money and keep your good one.

THIS ^^^^^^^

I think the buyer is just a fruitcake. Finding the same 10 year old TV for sale to swap sounds like a stretch to me. Too many different brands, models and sizes to make that likely.

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
After the sentiment to have a good evening he let loose in another text saying these are known issues after the TV is on for an hour and accusing me of fraud.

I had to block him. I've never had anything like this before.

Sad. The guy is part of the unhinged generation that melts down when things don't go their way 100% of the time. Blocking is a good idea. Ignore the idiot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back