Deer and other animals continuously ramming my car

Years ago I drove a million miles all after 10pm in the UP no accidents ever.

Now even when my car is stopped I have wildlife ramming my car continuously.

Latest was punting a bear like a football that jumped in front of my car.

I remember some folks with old suburbans that had a large cow catcher that were never concerned about deer collisions and it’s appearing that’s what I need to do.

I searched and on another forum a guy from Texas that was as hitting 8-12 deer a year put a cow catcher on his truck then had a long term review after he hit deer and said he just had to power wash after a hit no damage. He never said what brand or type he used

Oddly enough when I had an old beater 6.2 diesel suburban and a cow catcher I never had to test it.

Considering it appears impossible to leave my driveway without animal contact what type of vehicle and cow catcher should I get so I’m not wrecked out every day of the week.

Yes a vent but this is also impacting my enjoyment of life because I can’t drive certain places anymore without a 50/50 of damage.

It's been a really bad year in my region as well with deer. My wife and I have been driving since the 1980s and have never experienced it like this. Last Oct, my wife hit one with our 2019 Pathfinder and did just shy of $9K in damage to the vehicle. In Dec, I hit one with my 2022 Frontier and a month later, my daughter hit one with her Malibu. The Frontier and Malibu are pieced together good enough for now, but each would be $3K+ in damages easily. The malibu is going to stay that way. I gotta get the Frontier fixed at some point.

With the way SUVs and light trucks are built today, a "bull bar" is likely just going to structural damage unless you're driving a 1993 F250.

Hoping that doesn’t happen here….granted I’ve had a few near misses myself. I think we need more dear hunters after some free meat with so many deer out there….

Just a huge population boom of them out here…..

What? When your car sits, there is wildlife smacking into it continuously? Like every moment of every hour of every day?
It feels that way, I had a squirrel and a branch fall onto the already wrecked car parked in my driveway
it’s like on family guy when they ride a jet ski .

Not long Before I punted the black bear like a football I had come to a stop because the guy in front of me almost hit the deer, the enraged deer came back around and rammed my drivers fender and light with enough force to blow the headlight and the plastic fender shattered.

The last 4 years is just nonstop, gigantic rabbits blowing out my plastic under tray, squirrels dropping garbage on top, constantly dealing with deer, sometimes herded over the road,
bears on dark rainy nights running the highway .

When I had old junk that was equipped to run over them I never had to and could always avoid, now despite watching constantly, changing when and where I drive, driving more slowly I still can’t avoid the **** things.

Do you have a dashcam, and if so, do you have a video of this?

The car has front and rear facing cameras but you need to hack them to record.

Look for pictures of the "million mile Elantra", that thing had a decent bumper enhancement.

My wife stopped for a deer. Stopped dead. The thing rammed her rear quarter panel and left fuzz on the gas filler door. They're like poorly programmed NPCs, just there to thwart us.

I guess I’m lucky although I’ve had a few close calls,
I’ve avoided many more than I’ve hit, it’s just an inevitability when there are so many of the things and it’s like they all are even dumber with roid rage than I ever remember.

State government has a gigantic multi million dollar forestry device that plucks all the trees 100’ from every road and makes sawdust, it’s almost like that has made it worse not better. Gives them a nice field to graze.

I’ve avoided many more than I’ve hit, it’s just an inevitability when there are so many of the things and it’s like they all are even dumber with roid rage than I ever remember.

State government has a gigantic multi million dollar forestry device that plucks all the trees 100’ from every road and makes sawdust, it’s almost like that has made it worse not better. Gives them a nice field to graze.

I’m pretty sure that I’ve squished a few squirrels in my driving, but what can you do when they just run under a car? When a deer runs out in front spoof a car it can be pretty dramatic. I have experienced hearing the sound of a full sized pickup hitting a deer at freeway speed. Just glad it didn’t move into my lane.

Meat acquired from hunting is far from free. Number of hunters is declining in most areas though.
I deer hunted most of my life. Expensive hobby. First a shotgun, then bow, tree stand, muzzle loader, handgun, etc.
Could have bought aged prime beef or lobster, much cheaper. ;)

I had a squirrel and a branch fall onto the already wrecked car parked in my driveway
chainsaw.jpg

Somehow I've been avoiding deer and larger mammals but I leave dead birds in my wake. They always hit my windshield. Doesn't matter what car. I even had a close call with a turkey vulture.

Years ago I drove a million miles all after 10pm in the UP no accidents ever.
You should simply become a Yooper. Some there are livid, claiming the wolves are decimating the deer population in the U.P..

People have yet to realize the true cost of maintaining huge deer populations. Besides vehicle damage, deer wreak havoc on crops and forests. But, any mention to maintain a smaller deer herd and ...................

Back