Facebook Marketplace is just as flaky as Craigslist used to be.

I dumped FB over a year ago. Great move.
FB's automated replies and sketchy people is annoying to deal with, but it receives the most traffic out of any online market site. CL is now just paid dealership ads, and OfferUp seems to be really area dependent. Hardly anyone uses OfferUp in my area, and most of the ads I see on there are several weeks/months old. 🤷‍♂️

I've found the most effective way to purchase something on marketplace is to reply to an ad stating you have the cash in hand and want to know when the person is available to meet up for purchasing the item. No BS, shows you are serious, and gets right to the point. If you ask a million questions, they will probably ignore you over the people offering to show up. The time to ask questions and barter is when the item is in front of you. 😉

For USA I still sell on eBay

I rarely sell stuff around here mostly FREE - For local I use NextDoor.
How does it work with eBay requesting you give access to your bank account? Do you just have a separate account for that purpose? I used to sell on ebay, but it became way too much of a hassle since they always seemed to favor the buyers. Shipping became a nightmare with stuff being lost/damaged, and it just wasn't worth my time anymore.

How does it work with eBay requesting you give access to your bank account? Do you just have a separate account for that purpose? I used to sell on ebay, but it became way too much of a hassle since they always seemed to favor the buyers. Shipping became a nightmare with stuff being lost/damaged, and it just wasn't worth my time anymore.
On average I have less hassle with eBay than I did with website sales.

Problem with eBay is fees but apples to apples comparison can be difficult and really running a site and the hours add up

I have a small separate account but zero hassles in over 20 years

If your at least getting calls from marketplace, your doing better than me with Craigslist. I had a motorcycle for sale there, and didn't even get a BS call about it. Being it cost $5, I know one place I won't use anymore.,,
List the bike on here if you still have it. Cars have been sold on here to follow bitogers many states away. Either shipping is arranged or they come and pick it up. Plus you'll probably be dealing with a like minded buyer especially if they've been around awhile.

I sell a lot of vehicles on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

To be brutally blunt, the customers and standards are interchangable between the two sites. What I sell usually appeals to older folks and families. I always call people if a vehicle sells and will hold one if they are driving from a far distance. But that hold is only good for a couple hours... not days.

What I try to avoid is selling remotely. I do have a car buying service for that which focuses on 2016 and newer vehicles. But a large segment of the car buying public is still stuck in 2019 when it comes to current market prices.

The only issue on FB I have is communication. I'll have an item and have like 12 people ask me questions about it and it's tough to track the order. Once someone agrees to purchase, it's been smooth every time. Everyone has been nice and been on time for pickup. But getting to that point has been the issue.

From 2006 to around 2016 I bought and sold rare/classic auto body & trim parts on Ebay. We even did some cash sales and purchases thru the mail. Only had one issue. Guy was a jerk and cried like a baby about what he paid for hard to get part. Told him send it back for a full refund or leave me alone. He kept it.

If you ask a million questions, they will probably ignore you over the people offering to show up. The time to ask questions and barter is when the item is in front of you. 😉
Then THEY aren't serious. I mean I'm not driving 2 hours to look at a car unless they can tell me beforehand if it has original paint, when the timing belt was replaced, the condition of the tires, etc.

Yes however it’s the go to place to sell or buy something and you miss out. People have been complaining since dawn of time about CL, eBay , Amazon sellers and now FB marketplace. Nature of the beast.
I guess. Nothing I need to buy that bad and like I said I give away my old tools. I gave my worn out pressure washer to a guy that had a pump head stashed using NextDoor, guy owes me nothing but just brought me two dozen fresh eggs.

Facebook is now ghosting ads. I listed my Corolla and can see the ad, but when I switch browsers and search by make, model, year, it's not there.
Possibly given what you paid for ad the system is not perfect. It’s frustrating trying to find stuff I concur. It might have different sort criteria between browsers stored so experience varies.

Then THEY aren't serious. I mean I'm not driving 2 hours to look at a car unless they can tell me beforehand if it has original paint, when the timing belt was replaced, the condition of the tires, etc.
And you trust that they will give you the right answer?

What works well down here is to walk or drive around and talk to neighbors.
Someone is always wanting to buy or sell a car.
Cash and title always at hand.

About 4 years ago we had to many vehicles... now we have just the right amount lol. And we haven't got rid of a thing 😜

It's interesting how too much can suddenly be the perfect amount, when prices and demand skyrocket. The last 4 years have made stockpiling anything look good 😉

I'm so glad I won't be car shopping for a long time to come... there's not much I dislike more lol.

Back