Facebook Marketplace is just as flaky as Craigslist used to be.

I drove an hour today to look at a car after verifying the appointment. When I got there the guy told me he just took a deposit and didn’t bother to contact me because he wasn’t sure I was coming. I left a one star review but unfortunately I don’t think FB allowed it to post. What an inconsiderate jerk!

I’m starting to think the universe doesn’t want me to buy a used car. I know I’m getting tired of looking.

Translation-Someone offered him more than he was asking for it. NOT UNHEARD OF in todays used vehicle environment!

I have about given up on market place. People are so crappy to deal with on there so I feel your pain. It took me 3 months to buy a work van on there. I had cash in hand and was ready to buy. These people would either not respond at all or respond a few times and fall off the face of the earth or the day we had planned to meet they would go MIA. Or like in your case you arrange a time to check it out and they sell it knowing that you are coming.

My son recently bought a boat listed on FB that went well. He and the seller agreed on a price right after it was listed but my son told him he wouldn't have all of the money until that weekend. The seller agreed to hold the boat and when they met that weekend he said he had 2 other offers after my son's but he kept his word and sold the boat to my son.

Craigslist for me has become the better venue.

Traffic is MUCH lower but I seem to get a much lower percentage of tire kickers/time wasters. Sales arranged on Craigslist for me seem to almost always complete.

I have bought far more on FB than I've sold-heck I have it to thank for a big portion of my Lawn Boy collection. With that said, I've had folks seem genuinely surprised when I showed for an arranged sale.

My son recently bought a boat listed on FB that went well. He and the seller agreed on a price right after it was listed but my son told him he wouldn't have all of the money until that weekend. The seller agreed to hold the boat and when they met that weekend he said he had 2 other offers after my son's but he kept his word and sold the boat to my son.
That's very rare that they will hold a purchase. Your example is very much the exception.

I would argue it was worse of an issue on CL due to lack of communication channels. FB Marketplace makes that a bit easier with a live chat, but unless you are actively in communication with the seller, good luck. Dont make assumptions.

Translation-Someone offered him more than he was asking for it. NOT UNHEARD OF in todays used vehicle environment!
+1

I list a decent amount on marketplace, and have had people do this. People are nuts though, I had one guy ask me who I sold the item to so he could contact that person to buy it when I told him it sold. I definitely wouldn't give out any info to these crazy people.

Back