Lost my buddy yesterday

So sorry to hear of your loss. I completely get it. You had a cool looking dog for sure. Im sure a faithful companion.

I shed tears all the time over our dog, never felt this way so deeply about a pet. This one is special.
Dr feels he has less than a year to live before his heart medicine is no longer effective for his failing heart valve's.
He has been my wife and I world for 14 years now. I struggle to accept that the day we have to make the decision will come. Im hoping for at least one more Christmas and I am starting to wonder if he will make it. He is completely blind the last two years, still amazes us all the time but starting to sense the medicine is becoming less effective. Congestion type sounds when he sleeps is starting to come back.
IMG_9048.jpeg

Sorry for the loss of your pal. I know how you must feel. I've had to put down 2 of mine over the years, and it seems the older I get the harder it is.

I can't imagine how I'm going to feel when it's my little guy's time.

Super sad.
Words, inadequate.

I'd much rather hang out with dogs, than humans.

My girl turned 10 about 2 months ago, and the official book on her breed says she is considered old at 8 and 10-12 years is expected lifespan.

I made her a promise when I adopted her 6 years ago, and have kept it.
She is a great help with my mother, who is suffering dementia.

We will go bark at cormorants from a Kayak soon.

I want to make her remaining time as rewarding and joyful as possible, as she is such an awesome soul, and dread the morning when she is not pawing at the bed, wagging her tail.

Will Rogers — 'If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.'

My dad called what you just went through “tough duty” and there’s no better description. I promise my dogs the best healthiest life I can give them and I won’t prolong their end time because I’m weak.

Sorry for your loss.

My wife and I rescue (well they rescue us) seniors from the local shelters. Some of them we have a few years, some we have a few months. It is never ever easy, even though it is the right thing to do. It just never feels that way no matter how many times you do it.

The rainbow bridge is real. I look forward to the day I can see them all again.

I'm sorry to hear you lost a member of your family. It's always traumatic to lose a close and cherished friend. Find comfort in the life you provided him.

Sorry to hear OP, that's very rough to go through for sure, but you reciprocated his affection to the end and he wasn't alone and scared...you did well. Sorry for your loss man.

So sorry to hear of your loss. I completely get it. You had a cool looking dog for sure. Im sure a faithful companion.

I shed tears all the time over our dog, never felt this way so deeply about a pet. This one is special.
Dr feels he has less than a year to live before his heart medicine is no longer effective for his failing heart valve's.
He has been my wife and I world for 14 years now. I struggle to accept that the day we have to make the decision will come. Im hoping for at least one more Christmas and I am starting to wonder if he will make it. He is completely blind the last two years, still amazes us all the time but starting to sense the medicine is becoming less effective. Congestion type sounds when he sleeps is starting to come back.
View attachment 187453
Our Miniature Schnauzer fell short of 14 by six months or-so. Last few months of his life were numerous seizures - then a couple of minor strokes.

This breed is the smartest, most obedient on earth. Ours was like an Angel sent from Heaven. I still shed a few tears for our Roscoe now several months later..... still show his pic here and will indefinitely.

Donald
I feel your pain. The times I spent with Roscoe - I'll recall forever. We would walk 2-3 miles everyday..... always in a different direction. Then play for an hour or 2 at home everyday. So many memories. Good luck in your healing process.

Last edited:
Our Miniature Schnauzer fell short of 14 by six months or-so. Last few months of his life were numerous seizures - then a couple of minor strokes.

This breed is the smartest, most obedient on earth. Ours was like an Angel sent from Heaven. I still shed a few tears for our Roscoe now several months later..... still show his pic here and will indefinitely.
My wife and I get it completely.
Over the 14 years, our dog who is a schnoodle which to those who don’t know is a purebred poodle and purebred schnauzer mix.
He is so freaking smart, and like you say loyal, he can never be replaced and I get that’s for most people no matter what the dog breed is.

Over the 14 years, he just shocked us time and time again on how intelligent he is, how he knows our day by hour, and places himself where he needs to be at that particular time.
Two years ago he lost both his eyes to an uncontrollable glaucoma. To this day, people in my community still do not know he is blind unless we tell them, he walks with us down the street with a loose leash, he can pace himself without tugging on the leash. He knows the edge of the road in the grass, and he follows it perfectly.

My wife works from home so at 8 o’clock. She goes right to her office and turns on her computer.
Keep in mind now he’s blind/no eyes
Even after she goes to work, he knows that I’m the one that takes him out in the morning and feeds him so anyway somehow he knows I’m still in bed and he doesn’t move from the room .

I will wake up in the morning and find him at my side of the bed, waiting for me to get up.
Every day of the week amazes me to this day and I know, and I get what you’re saying.
To emphasize this point before I even read this post when I got up this morning and ready to get out of bed I took another picture like I do so many times because I’m constantly amazed.
He’s always there waiting for me. His bed is not far away maybe 5 feet but it’s not in the picture when I took this one this morning.

Patiently waiting is the first picture, it’s really creepy because I guess he sensed I was moving around and getting ready to get up and look at the happy look on his face. Keep in mind he has no eyes.

One thing he can’t do anymore is the typical schnauzer run when you get home before he lost his eyes he would dart around the house like a crazy person running in circles full speed across all the rooms cause he’s so excited he can’t contain himself.

If only human beings were as good as dogs, this would be a wonderful world.
It’s horrible to have to lose one and I know the day is coming for my wife and I
IMG_5909.jpeg
IMG_5910.jpeg

Last edited:
Our new four legged member of the household is a White Schnoodle (Henry). Got him at eight weeks and currently is eight months old. He's totally opposite of Roscoe (pictured). He's disobedient, selfish, jumps on everyone, steals any of our belongings on tables, dressers and cabinets. Henry will run out of an open gate and good luck trying to retrieve him. He runs like a Madman throughout the house playing with his toys and jumping up & down furniture.

I could name a few more areas of mischief he gets into. It would cost us a fortune to get this troublemaker trained by professionals. But we are showing Henry a ton of patience and love him much-the-same as Roscoe. We lost our beloved four legged Angel and unknowingly purchased a Devil Dog. No Exorcism scheduled yet......lol

I'm hoping member Donald has a found a few moments reading this to laugh. Sometimes the best cure is jumping into your vehicle and begin a search for a new four legged furry friend to love, while roaming / protecting the home and outside grounds.

Last edited:
That's great. Just don't let it suffer. That's when what was best for you, needs to turn into what's best for that dear ol' Pooch.
That's what we did with Roscoe. We could have hung-on to him for weeks or months longer. But one look into Roscoe's eyes showed me the poor dog was tired of living life that way.

He couldn't jump on furniture anymore - couldn't go up steps - couldn't turn left or right quickly anymore without wobbling. Couldn't see or hear satisfactorily (to us anyways). He would shiver from being cold while he laid and got up pretty slowly the last few months. This was all in-between his mini strokes and mid-level seizures that brought a mouthful of foam & terrifying shakes.

It was time for us to take him to Rainbow Bridge. Roscoe will thank us for that someday.

Last edited:
Back