Craftsman 4-ton Jack Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Craftsman 4-ton jack (50156) that slowly leaks down. Sears does not show any parts available for this model.

I have replaced the oring on the lock valve shaft several times. The oring appears to fit snugly to the valve shaft and bore. However the lock valve appears to seal by forcefully closing off an opening at the bottom of the valve port. This looks like a metal/metal seal that would not be repair-able easily (machine new seat?). I hate to throw away a good jack and was wondering if anyone had a repair suggestion.

thanks

Hit the easy button first:

HJ12-PNG-rebate1.png

If it is the metal seat often a bearing ball, punch and hammer can coin a new seat.

Usually though bleeding down is dirt on a check valve or leaking seal

Rod

I have a Craftsman 2 ton floor jack that is going on forty years old and it doesn't leak down. I have replaced the jack oil every two or three years and that makes the difference. Most floor jacks are the most neglected tool in a garage.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
If it is the metal seat often a bearing ball, punch and hammer can coin a new seat.

Usually though bleeding down is dirt on a check valve or leaking seal

Rod

+1

I cannot understand how the metal to meal seal would go bad? Take it apart and inspect it. Most seals in a jack should still be available. McMaster-Carr carries pretty much every one. And to the poster that says buy a new one. My comment back is would you prefer a high quality USA made jack or some current junk recently built in China. I know what I prefer.

I didn't know there was a jack oil w/Stop Leak in it. Good find.

So far my 4-ton Craftsman and 2-ton HF don't leak down.

Thanks for all the input. I have replaced the fluid. I will open and inspect the metal end seat closely for possible options. It is recessed ~ 2-inch so a punch might create a new surface.

Not much downside to trying. I checked HF today for jack options.

regards

'Leakyseals' has a nice writeup with pics in this forum on how to replace the seals in a floor jack. My 25 year old Craftsman works as well today as it did when new.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Throw it away and buy a new one for $100 Alex.

The problem with floor jacks is you only get a 90 day warranty and small parts are nearly impossible to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back