Cost for 2020 Tundra F/R Pads/Rotors and brake fluid flush

I have 50k miles on the truck and about 4mm on the front pads and 3mm on the rear - confirmed by me. I called around and every independent shop was more expensive than the dealership which quoted me $1500 all-in for F/R pads/rotors and brake fluid flush. I know it's highly dependent on a bunch of factors but I was surprised the indy shops were $100-200 more. I'm located in central MA. First time doing brakes on the Tundra - does $1500 all-in seem reasonable?

Last edited:
I have 50k miles on the truck and about 4mm on the front pads and 3mm on the rear - confirmed by me. I called around and every independent shop was more expensive than the dealership which quoted me $1500 all-in for F/R pads/rotors and brake fluid flush. I know it's highly dependent on a bunch of factors but I was surprised the indy shops were $100-200 more. I'm located in central MA. First time doing brakes on the Tundra - does that seem reasonable?
The front should be straightforward, especially since there are four pistons. @Astro14 can provide more details. Rear should not be any more difficult then other vehicles.
Fluid? Eith two person method, or this, much easier:
Bleeding master.jpg

Why not do the pads and rotors yourself? Then if you want to have the dealership do the brake fluid flush with their fancy pressurized machine, let them do it... that'll probably be $200? You'll save a ton of money. Even at full retail price for the premium brakes at the local auto parts store it's like $630 total for front and rear pads and rotors, and you can certainly shop around and get cheaper parts.

Why not do the pads and rotors yourself? Then if you want to have the dealership do the brake fluid flush with their fancy pressurized machine, let them do it... that'll probably be $200? You'll save a ton of money. Even at full retail price for the premium brakes at the local auto parts store it's like $630 total for front and rear pads and rotors, and you can certainly shop around and get cheaper parts.
FT job and a business owner, taking two classes for the summer session for my MBA, traveling to Toronto next week and again in three weeks for conferences, just not going to happen even IF I wanted to do it. My time is worth more to me than the $1500.

Oh and buffalo gnats. The buffalo gnats here will eat you alive for the next few weeks.

You know, I have never, ever, ever done a brake fluid flush? Had cars for years, 300K on some of them. Never. Topped off and flushed some through after doing rear brakes or replacing a caliper, etc. but never chased out all the fluid and added new. Never had an issue. I don't ever even remember it being discussed until maybe 4-5 years ago. Now it's a thing. I get that the fluid is hygroscopic, but to what end I'm not sure.

You know, I have never, ever, ever done a brake fluid flush? Had cars for years, 300K on some of them. Never. Topped off and flushed some through after doing rear brakes or replacing a caliper, etc. but never chased out all the fluid and added new. Never had an issue. I don't ever even remember it being discussed until maybe 4-5 years ago. Now it's a thing. I et that the fluid is hygroscopic, but to what end I'm not sure.
It's $120 and peace of mind. My goal is to keep this truck until it rots out from rust under me. Overkill? Maybe, but peace of mind is priceless sometimes!

$1,500.00 dollars in 50,000 miles....that's not a bad deal. Obviously-he doesn't want to work on the brakes.

$1,500.00 dollars in 50,000 miles....that's not a bad deal. Obviously-he doesn't want to work on the brakes.
My problem vehicle is the 2019 RX 350 - needed new brakes at 25k miles and now has 55k miles on it and is down to 3mm all around. My wife drives that car like a grandma...

My problem vehicle is the 2019 RX 350 - needed new brakes at 25k miles and now has 55k miles on it and is down to 3mm all around. My wife drives that car like a grandma...
I would look very closely at the calipers. I can appreciate your inquiry as to cost. But you need brakes....it costs what it costs.....

I’m a pretty busy guy. My time is valuable.

On a whim I went and looked at rock auto:

Front Centric semi coated rotors and posi quiet pads are ~$200

Rear centric semi coated rotors and posi quiet pads are ~$150.

Shipping, tax… yada yada. Let’s call it an even $500 in parts.

I can certainly tell you that I can afford 3 hours of my time for $1,000 in savings.

OP’s time must be very valuable indeed…

I’m a pretty busy guy. My time is valuable.

On a whim I went and looked at rock auto:

Front Centric semi coated rotors and posi quiet pads are ~$200

Rear centric semi coated rotors and posi quiet pads are ~$150.

Shipping, tax… yada yada. Let’s call it an even $500 in parts.

I can certainly tell you that I can afford 3 hours of my time for $1,000 in savings.

OP makes $250+ an hour! Congrats big dawg.
You guys are really missing the point. It's not about what the OP can save doing it himself. He doesn't want too-or can't.

You guys are really missing the point. It's not about what the OP can save doing it himself. He doesn't want too-or can't.

No one has missed the point.

If he has multiple quotes for similar money then why bother checking online for consensus if it’s no big deal to just pay it.

Sounds like cost IS a big deal and myself and others are pointing out alternatives. Otherwise he pays the ticket and rides the ride.

No one has missed the point.

If he has multiple quotes for similar money then why bother checking online for consensus if it’s no big deal to just pay it.

Sounds like cost IS a big deal and myself and others are pointing out alternatives. Otherwise he pays the ticket and rides the ride.
While I do value $1500 because I worked for that $1500, it's not a hardship in any way, but just because it's not a hardship doesn't mean I can't do my due diligence and that I want to spend $1500 on brakes unnecessarily. I'm thrown by the dealership being the cheapest option and that's really why I asked here.

While I do value $1500 because I worked for that $1500, it's not a hardship in any way, but just because it's not a hardship doesn't mean I can't do my due diligence and that I want to spend $1500 on brakes unnecessarily. I'm thrown by the dealership being the cheapest option and that's really why I asked here.
Dealership being cheapest would have thrown me for a loop as well. I'd let them do it and just be ready for them to come up with some other stuff you 'need' while its in.

I would look very closely at the calipers. I can appreciate your inquiry as to cost. But you need brakes....it costs what it costs.....
I understand that and it just came to my attention on Sunday rotating her tires that her pads were so low. My comment was more about how my Tundra has had very minimal costs for the first 50K miles compared to the RX 350. It's especially interesting to me because I drive the truck like I stole it most of the time and my wife is doing the speed limit and with very gentle acceleration and braking. I just would've guessed hers would last longer.

Last edited:
You know, I have never, ever, ever done a brake fluid flush? Had cars for years, 300K on some of them. Never. Topped off and flushed some through after doing rear brakes or replacing a caliper, etc. but never chased out all the fluid and added new. Never had an issue. I don't ever even remember it being discussed until maybe 4-5 years ago. Now it's a thing. I get that the fluid is hygroscopic, but to what end I'm not sure.
It is a thing since brake fluid exist.
But then, hey, there are a lot of people who never put seatbelt and they never had an issue. You should try that too.

Back