Corvette Z06 Oil Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So amazing the Flagship product of General Motors is pushed out the door like a Vega. Chevrolet the heart break of America.

Sounds like a pretty compelling case to dump the factory fill early in one of those cars. That's a practice a lot of people do here and have been criticized for over the years. I bet the owners of those cars who dumped the FF early are glad they did.

My worry would be that if I was one of the "lucky" ones who hasn't had any trouble then how much damage has been done that will show up later as scuffed walls, higher consumption, whatever, etc etc? There will be much hand-wringing as the other owners worry.

Last edited:
I'd flat bed my car to the dealer and let them change the oil. Not impressed with these kinds of problems but, at least GM acknowledges it and will fix it, unlike the gasket issues of the past. Maybe the attitude at GM is changing for the better after a 30 years slide. Ed

Some years ago I bought a Ford Ranger STX 4x4. At 1000 miles I drained the rearend oil which I never usually did. It was like milk white and definitely contaminated with I'm guessing water.

Originally Posted By: CT8
So amazing the Flagship product of General Motors is pushed out the door like a Vega. Chevrolet the heart break of America.

Lol!! well said! I guess anything Obama and our illustrious Gov't owns is bound to be second rate junk!

I toured the Corvette factory last fall, mainly to see the new model in production (and to see the sinkhole in the museum, before they filled it up) and I wasn't impressed one bit.

I was more impressed with the sinkhole, than I was with the plant.

The factory workers are building the jewel of the GM line. However, many of them looked like they hadn't showered, shaved, or changed clothes in multiple days. Women were on the assembly line wearing blue jeans, with pockets on the butt which were completely covered with sequins.

These were the people, building a car which can exceed $100,000.

I know, it is an assembly line in a factory. But is it too much to ask to at least look presentable/clean when at work, especially when there are public tours all the time, and of course, the private tours for owners who are shelling out the money for one?

But, I know. It's the UAW.

The ironic part is that I've also been in all of the Honda plants in Ohio... including the engine plant at Anna. I didn't see a single person who looked to be homeless, needing a shower, or some clean clothes... working at any of the Honda plants.

I guess GM needs to pay their union workers better.

All the BMW M cars require a 1,200 mile oil change too. They also change the differential oil.

This deal has been going on and discussed for some months now. I'd be dumping oil as soon as I got a wiff of this situation-strain it for the big stuff and analyze. Cut open the filters and inspect. An engine teardown might follow. I wouldn't be waiting for any 500 miles. Could be one of the guys involved with the engine build who was goofing and no inspecttion caught it.

Mobil 1, that's the problem.
wink.gif

The Toyota plant here, the employees wear a uniform of sorts. I think it's a company polo shirt and khaki's but not for certain.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I toured the Corvette factory last fall, mainly to see the new model in production (and to see the sinkhole in the museum, before they filled it up) and I wasn't impressed one bit.

I was more impressed with the sinkhole, than I was with the plant.

The factory workers are building the jewel of the GM line. However, many of them looked like they hadn't showered, shaved, or changed clothes in multiple days. Women were on the assembly line wearing blue jeans, with pockets on the butt which were completely covered with sequins.

These were the people, building a car which can exceed $100,000.

I know, it is an assembly line in a factory. But is it too much to ask to at least look presentable/clean when at work, especially when there are public tours all the time, and of course, the private tours for owners who are shelling out the money for one?

But, I know. It's the UAW.

The ironic part is that I've also been in all of the Honda plants in Ohio... including the engine plant at Anna. I didn't see a single person who looked to be homeless, needing a shower, or some clean clothes... working at any of the Honda plants.

I guess GM needs to pay their union workers better.

And how does this have ANYTHING to do with the oil contamination issue? The product assembly quality is very good.

Quite an agenda you have....
BTW BMWs, Mercedes, ect use UNION labor as well to build their products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

There is a lot of documentation about how little the GM culture used to care about quality. There is a very good TAL episode about it here. With that said they are supposed to have very good products now.

Originally Posted By: Tabor
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

There is a lot of documentation about how little the GM culture used to care about quality. There is a very good TAL episode about it here. With that said they are supposed to have very good products now.

Exactly they USED to have poor quality, this is not the case now, GM products match or exceed the quality of any other brand including the Japanese, or Koreans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back