Corvette Z06 Oil Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM has improved a lot . But Honda is better . GM rub a lot of people the wrong way back in the 70's & 80's with there shoddy quality control practices. With that being said I have 2 GM vehicles and will purchase again in the future

Originally Posted By: racin4ds

Lol!! well said! I guess anything Obama and our illustrious Gov't owns is bound to be second rate junk!

Oh yeah, this is the governments fault. Lol. Some people live in a strange reality.

Originally Posted By: E365
All the BMW M cars require a 1,200 mile oil change too. They also change the differential oil.
It gets rig of the crud.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
GM has improved a lot . But Honda is better . GM rub a lot of people the wrong way back in the 70's & 80's with there shoddy quality control practices. With that being said I have 2 GM vehicles and will purchase again in the future
I have had two over the years and won't buy another.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I toured the Corvette factory last fall, mainly to see the new model in production (and to see the sinkhole in the museum, before they filled it up) and I wasn't impressed one bit.

I was more impressed with the sinkhole, than I was with the plant.

The factory workers are building the jewel of the GM line. However, many of them looked like they hadn't showered, shaved, or changed clothes in multiple days. Women were on the assembly line wearing blue jeans, with pockets on the butt which were completely covered with sequins.

These were the people, building a car which can exceed $100,000.

I know, it is an assembly line in a factory. But is it too much to ask to at least look presentable/clean when at work, especially when there are public tours all the time, and of course, the private tours for owners who are shelling out the money for one?

But, I know. It's the UAW.

The ironic part is that I've also been in all of the Honda plants in Ohio... including the engine plant at Anna. I didn't see a single person who looked to be homeless, needing a shower, or some clean clothes... working at any of the Honda plants.

I guess GM needs to pay their union workers better.

There's a reason why Honda has standard white uniforms for everyone. Its easiest to see that you are dirty when you're wearing all white. Their philosophy is if your uniform is dirty, that means your work area is dirty.
Dirty uniform = Dirty work area = Dirty product.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Mobil 1, that's the problem.
wink.gif

Yeah, sure, got a SINGLE fact to back that up?

Send oil sample to get tested. As said before trailer to GM dealer and let them, for free, change the oil. And the real question...what could be so bad that in 500 miles you have to change oil and then its all better???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I toured the Corvette factory last fall, mainly to see the new model in production (and to see the sinkhole in the museum, before they filled it up) and I wasn't impressed one bit.

I was more impressed with the sinkhole, than I was with the plant.

The factory workers are building the jewel of the GM line. However, many of them looked like they hadn't showered, shaved, or changed clothes in multiple days. Women were on the assembly line wearing blue jeans, with pockets on the butt which were completely covered with sequins.

These were the people, building a car which can exceed $100,000.

I know, it is an assembly line in a factory. But is it too much to ask to at least look presentable/clean when at work, especially when there are public tours all the time, and of course, the private tours for owners who are shelling out the money for one?

But, I know. It's the UAW.

The ironic part is that I've also been in all of the Honda plants in Ohio... including the engine plant at Anna. I didn't see a single person who looked to be homeless, needing a shower, or some clean clothes... working at any of the Honda plants.

I guess GM needs to pay their union workers better.

And how does this have ANYTHING to do with the oil contamination issue? The product assembly quality is very good.

Quite an agenda you have....
BTW BMWs, Mercedes, ect use UNION labor as well to build their products.
That "ECT" doesn't include Toyota.

Originally Posted By: Tabor
Quite an agenda you have....
BTW BMWs, Mercedes, ect use UNION labor as well to build their products.

There is a lot of documentation about how little the GM culture used to care about quality. There is a very good TAL episode about it here. With that said they are supposed to have very good products now.

Exactly they USED to have poor quality, this is not the case now, GM products match or exceed the quality of any other brand including the Japanese, or Koreans.
They exceed the recall quota anyway.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Swift101
Mobil 1, that's the problem.
wink.gif

Yeah, sure, got a SINGLE fact to back that up?

I blame Chobil 1 that got put in the Mobil 1 oil drums.

Last edited:
"Chevrolet said that it was upgrading its manufacturing process to minimize the risk of contaminating the oil. The cause could be thread shavings for the oil filter which may have made their way into the oil pan when the threads were tapped."

The Oil filter should catch virtually everything greater than 20 microns if the filter is any good. It think there is more to this story than just "contaminated oil".

The elephant in the room is WHO made the oil filter?

+1 - what filter was it?

Originally Posted By: user52165

+1 - what filter was it?

First, E365 is correct. The official notice goes back to Nov. 2014. Why it's a news item now? No idea but as E365 notes it may be another blast from Chevy to owners living under a rock.

Second, I wondered when I saw this if it was not a casting or machining issue in the area of the filter mount. That the "oil filter" would have caused this seems a stretch. "Reviewing manufacturing processes" doesn't sound like an oil filter either.

Originally Posted By: user52165

+1 - what filter was it?

Thread shavings "for the oil filter", not FROM the oil filter. I read that the oil filter mounting threads are the problem.

They did not say change the oil AND filter. Seems if the filter is the problem they would have made a big deal about getting it off the car.

Originally Posted By: hatt
$80,000+ sure doesn't go very far these days.

Especially when you can build a car that run circles around them for LESS money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back