Corvette Z06 Oil Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Some of the metal was needle bearings escaping the roller rockers. Oil filter issue seems to be wrong filter for the application but both types fit the car. Have had some silicone degrade on pan gaskets but that is across the GM line, might be related to Dexos oil" The above from a GM fella.

What could be in a dexos1 oil that would cause issue with silicone sealants that isn't in other SN/GF-5 oils? Or, is it the fact that most synthetics these days are dexos1, and that's a convenient scapegoat? I suppose if there were only one or two dexos1 oils, the silicone degradation would be because of using non-dexos1 oil.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
What could be in a dexos1 oil that would cause issue with silicone sealants that isn't in other SN/GF-5 oils? Or, is it the fact that most synthetics these days are dexos1, and that's a convenient scapegoat? I suppose if there were only one or two dexos1 oils, the silicone degradation would be because of using non-dexos1 oil.
wink.gif

Did you read the TSB posted earlier in this thread?

Originally Posted By: TSB
Some 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes may experience a condition that leads to oil leaking out from the air cleaner assembly. This
condition may be caused by running the engine continuously at a high engine speed with the first factory fill oil, resulting in silicone
sealants in the engine’s gaskets degrading the oil’s anti-foaming agents. The oil foam has no effect on the engine’s durability.

Yes, but I'm not sure what that has to do with dexos1 oil. It certainly has to do with motor oil, but oils have anti-foaming agents whether they're dexos1, A3/B4, SAE 30 in SN, or a CJ-4 synthetic.

I read it as the silicone leaching from the gaskets is breaking down the anti-foaming agents. In normal use it wouldn't be an issue, but if the vehicle is being tracked it can be an issue.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I've been trying to research this on the internet and all I can find is 1 or 2 cars that had a problem. High performance cars are going to be more susceptible to this. Its not a mini van.

The LS engines are rock solid in general. But we have all the minions jumping up and down.

These are LTx family engines, a different architecture, and all AFM/DOD, sadly.

But yes, of course the GM/domestic nameplate/gummint HATERZZ are going to come out and bash, even if it was ONE Z06 it happened to.
mad.gif

But but but...my sisters friends brothers roommate once worked with someone who knew someone that had a 1972 Vega that was junk.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Sounds like a pretty compelling case to dump the factory fill early in one of those cars. That's a practice a lot of people do here and have been criticized for over the years. I bet the owners of those cars who dumped the FF early are glad they did.

Over reaction ?

quote from link "Chevrolet says less than one percent of the 9,000 Z06 models on the road have had engine troubles."

Which mean 99% are trouble free!

Originally Posted By: virginoil

So far. These motors are going to be failing for the next 20 years, 100k miles, if there fix for metal contamination is an oil change.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

So far. These motors are going to be failing for the next 20 years, 100k miles, if there fix for metal contamination is an oil change.

Depends, if it is being tracked and flogged non stop at red line you're going to see failures.

Street driven with an occasional spirited drive it'll be fine.

Amazing when things are pushed to their limits on the track you see failures!

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

These cars are collectors items and won't see many miles at all.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

These cars are collectors items and won't see many miles at all.

You'd be surprised at how many people are using their Z06s quite a lot. I know two people who just got new ones in the past two weeks and both of them have been driving them every day since they got them, and fully intend on enjoying the cars as much as they can (they definitely won't sit in the garage for long periods of time) And I know another person who just ordered a 2016 and will be getting it in the spring and he also fully intends on driving it a lot. He bought a 2005 Corvette brand new and has driven it on many road trips to the US for various Corvette events and American LeMans race events, and the new Z06 won't end up sitting in the garage for long either.

"OH NO, you can't take your Corvette out on the track, you'll get brake dust on the wheels!"

This is what I used hear from Corvette Club members 20 years ago when I told them I drove mine on race tracks. That's why I drove with Porsche Club, and not Corvette Club. Now there are a lot more Corvettes going on track than there used to be. A C5 Z06 can be bought for reasonable money, and a 550HP engine can be built for ~$10K, then you have a car that can terrorize any Porsche for a tenth of the money.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
But but but...my sisters friends brothers roommate once worked with someone who knew someone that had a 1972 Vega that was junk.

You've got your facts all wrong.

My Vega was a 1971!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

I did own a C6 Corvette later in life but that was in spite of the top notch design and execution found in my Vega.

I've never understood people who'll buy a really nice high end car and never drive it. Life's too short and you obviously can't take it with you so I say,DRIVE IT!!
smile.gif

It reminds me of people in this province asking why I'd drive my G37 in the winter. I like the car. I didn't buy it to stare at it sitting motionless in the garage for eight months out of the year.
wink.gif

Same here.

IF I could afford a Z06 (especially an NA, 7 liter C6 Z06), it would also be a daily driver, yes, EVEN in the winter (as well as an open tracking car with different; wheels/tires/pads/rotors)!!

19.gif
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back