Cooper SRX truck tires

I think all truck tires last about 40 to 50k except for the Defenders. The Michelin Defender LTX was designed for longevity though and as an exception to the typical light truck tire. The tradeoff though is ride quality. Long life tires use harder compounds.

I got by just fine in the snow with the SRX. Im not certain about the gas mileage with the AT 4S but I can say they ride more like a passenger vehicle tire versus an off road truck tire.

The SRX has a soft ride and thats a plus. The AT3 4s will have longer life.

Reactions: irv
How are they in the snow? Been looking at tires for my new Ram, I was warned the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SR-A’s weren’t very good.

They were good to me in the snow last winter when basically brand new, we will see how this winter is since I have more miles on them.

I have the AT3 XLT on my 2017 3500HD. I have 5,000 miles on them, couple of winter trips over one of the bigger passes on I-90 in Washington state. Hands down the best tires I have had on any of my trucks. I have Cooper RS3-As on the Trans Am, they have been really nice too. Both are very quiet.

Sounds like I should check out a set of SRX for the Tahoe in the next few months …
… then I’d have 5 with the spare …

Walmart has the discoverer At, this is the old AT3. I had to buy one due to a screwdriver.
Same tire as my 3 year old AT3

I had the SRX on a Ram 1500. Ride and handling was good. Rain good, snow actually pretty good for an all season, never felt I needed snow tires here in western PA. Tire life was ok, got about 40k with regular rotation.
I had the Evolutions on another Ram. They were surprisingly good given the price point. I bought them knowing I would trade the truck, so only had them for about 10,000 miles. They rode smooth and comfortable, and handled rain well. Did not have them for snow.

cooper pricing is better than most for a good tyre + i like the newer generations of all season but winter tyres with the SNOWFLAKE rating. not as much snow as in the past but i need to get up my inclined slick grassy or snowey yard to fill my coal bin!! about 20 thou on coopers on my Fronty + prolly the last winter for them as low thread = low traction in snow as well as rain. not sure offhand but i know they are snowflake rated!! wider bigger tyres are worse in snow + rain + suck more gas due to their weight + downsizing is smart + cheaper in the long run!!

I had the SRX on a Ram 1500. Ride and handling was good. Rain good, snow actually pretty good for an all season, never felt I needed snow tires here in western PA. Tire life was ok, got about 40k with regular rotation.
I had the Evolutions on another Ram. They were surprisingly good given the price point. I bought them knowing I would trade the truck, so only had them for about 10,000 miles. They rode smooth and comfortable, and handled rain well. Did not have them for snow.
So having both … is the SRX worth the price differential ?
We get lots of rain … want a smooth ride for the Tahoe … 50k target life …
off road for that vehicle would be sand … so either tread pattern will work for that.

So having both … is the SRX worth the price differential ?
We get lots of rain … want a smooth ride for the Tahoe … 50k target life …
off road for that vehicle would be sand … so either tread pattern will work for that.
Since I did not keep the Evolution long enough for determining the mileage life, hard to say. Based on handling and ride, not worth it. Although, at the time I paid $170 for the SRX and $138 for the Evolutions, both 20” sizes.

Reactions: 4WD
after checking i can report having Cooper ATW as in winter with the snowflake rating!! overall a good tyre with decent life, 20 thou on them + will replace them next summer as by next winter they will be less than optimal, prolly less than 30 thou. better winter tyres trade wear for traction as the top rated blizzaks do. i haul a bit + drive locally a lot being retired these tyres are on for several years. local driving with lots of turning scuffs + wears tyres faster than a lot of steady highway use of course.

Just wanted to update this thread with alternative tire choices. Continental just came out with a few good options.

#1. Continental Terrain Contact H/T- This is Continentals answer to the Defender LTX.

#2. Continental Crosscontact LX25- I have this tire on my Lincoln MKT and it did improve the ride. It was better than the Goodyear Comfortred which came with the car.

These tires just came out and are new to the market.

tires1.JPG

tires2.JPG

I just removed my SRX's and put my winters on but just thought I'd add, so far so good. Not a lot of miles since they were purchased but I am still a 100% happy with these tires.
My neighbor, who purchased the ATS4's, and plans on running them year round, is also still very happy with his purchase. I'm looking forward to hearing how he likes them, how they perform in the snow this winter? I have no doubts they will do fine but time will tell?

Back