Cooper Discoverer A/T All Season Tires

Well, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all!
I'm not getting the Cooper tires. My cousin checked with Cooper on a recall he had done before on several sets of Cooper tires. And, the tires I was going to order is in that category. I was assured if anything happened to them that Cooper would replace them FREE of charge. I decided I didn't want to take a chance.
So, I have decided to purchase the Kumho Crugen HT51 All-Season Tire in 245/70R17. It has a 70K mile warranty (which I like a lot).
Has anyone else bought Kumho tires before? Opinions?

I had those on a 2004 Ram 1500 about 4 years ago. 2 came in out of round, but they had new ones to me the next day. They turned out to be an excellent tire for the money. Where they really surprised me was in the snow (deep cold snow of northern MN in January) and in off-road conditions. Not "rock crawling", but in pastures, logging roads, low maintenance dirt / mud roads, etc. They did far better in both of those circumstances than I would expect them to do and they were very compliant on the road. I believe the ones I had were 3 Peak snow rated as well.

Last edited:
UPDATE
When I went online to WM's website I originally wanted the GENERAL GRABBER SXT2 tires (65K warranty), but they were sold out. The GG's (General Grabbers) were advertised for $114 each online. My local WM wanted $122 each. My cousin (auto service manager at WM) told me to buy them online and have him install them. BUT, the online WM wouldn't let me buy them. So, that's why I chose the Coopers.
Long story short, I was finally able to buy the GG's 2 days ago online @ $114 each ($456 + tax). My cousin installed them, lifetime rotate and balance, road hazard warranty, and valve stems, all for $57.04. It's nice to have family to help you out.
All of this has made me "TIRED."
;) (y)

Attachments

• GRABBER.jpg
    GRABBER.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 61
I personally didn’t like them at all. I purchased Cooper Discover AT3 XLT, 285/65/20, for my 2018 Ram 2500. As soon as I put these tires on I felt a slight shake/bounce at higher highway speeds of 70+mph. Chalked it up as they are just different ride quality then the OEM (Firestone) tires and I’ve driven on a lot of different A/T tires over the years. At around 10K miles had the tires rotated and rechecked balance. Was told balance was barely off. The shake/bounce I felt never went away, but I didn’t go back to the store either (big mistake on my part!).

After about 25K miles the shake became worse at only 60mph and really bad over 70 mph. The popular nationwide store I bought them from said they “thought”my right front tire was out of round, replaced it at prorated rate for manufacturer defect ($300 off a $400+ tire) and moved new tire to back axle. Shake was still there. Went to same named store on the other side of town, they rechecked balance on all 4 and said it was way off and they had to add 8 ounces of weights. Left store, shake still there.

Finally got them to test drive it and they said they don’t feel it at all like I claimed (go figure). So the store won’t replace the other 3 for that same prorated rate and chalked it up as customer isn’t satisfied with ride quality which is different rebate than a manufacturer defect. I called Cooper and couldn’t get anywhere either based on mileage, rotation records, and without dealer backing me after test drive I was stuck.

Despite hearing great thing about these tires, and even having friends that didn’t have issues, I just didn’t have that same experience. A 60K warranty tire which costed me over $1,400 new, costed me another $1,000 to replace all 4 tires with less than 30K miles on them. I personally switched to a Michelin Defender LTX M/S and ride quality is WAY better IMO. All A/T tires I’ve ever run were smoother than these, but again this is just my opinion based on the tires and the vehicles I’ve had.

I can't find a ply rating for these, does anybody know what it is? The AT3's are easy to find but the plain Discoverer A/T isn't.

Cooper Discoverer A/T All-Season 235/75R15 105T

CLICK

I'm kind of facing a dilemma here. I currently have 245/70/17 tires on my truck. The 265/70/17 (60K mile warranty) Coopers are $114 each. The 245/70/17 (55K mile warranty) Coopers are $134 each. I know how to do the math, and am leaning towards the 265's. But, will they throw my speedometer off much, and decrease my mileage?
Decisions, decisions! :unsure: 🤷‍♂️
Try 245/75/17 with 17/32 tread

When I bought my 07 Ram it had the 20 inch Cooper's on it. I believe they were AT's. Got stuck in my daughters yard witch is flat but slightly damp. They made so much noise that I couldn't stand them. Replaced with Fallen Wild Country HT. No more getting stuck or loud noise.

I can't find a ply rating for these, does anybody know what it is? The AT3's are easy to find but the plain Discoverer A/T isn't.

Cooper Discoverer A/T All-Season 235/75R15 105T

CLICK

First, this is a P type tire and they don't come in "Ply Ratings" (PR). They come in Standard Load (SL) and Extra Load (XL) - and that one is an SL. Besides, they don't use PR anymore, they use Load Range (LR) (C, D, E, etc.)

I am hoping you don't mean how many plies they have - because pretty much all P type and LT type tires come in a 2+2 configuration = 2 polyester plus 2 steel - and maybe a couple of nylon cap plies. In this case, my best guess is that it has no nylon cap plies.

And just for reference, this line of tires is a WalMart only line and WalMart does a terrible job with tires on their website. Even Cooper's own website doesn't acknowledge these - and that is pretty common for WalMart. Tire dealers strongly object to selling the same tire as WalMart, because WalMart benefits from the sheer volume of tires they purchase - and since they offer very little expertise during the buying process, you need to either know your year/make/model or have to kind of know what your looking for.

I talk a bit about ply strength and Load ranges here: Barry's Tire Tech: Ply Strength and Load Ranges

lots of good info on Barry's site. whenever possible i DOWNSIZE called minus sizing to save unsprung weight as well as $$ sometimes as long as the lesser size is up to snuff to carry the load, easily checked on load range charts that are for ONE tire X's 4 gives you the total + unless needed xtra plies ride HARDER + are HEAVIER!! read the interesting informative link page, THANKS!!! like many things tire tech evolves + remember reading Don Garlits noting the single biggest factor to todays Nitro Fueled monsters is BETTER tyres!!!

Last edited:
I have ran BF Goodrich TAs, General Grabbers, Toyo AT2 and Cooper Discover AT3 on multiple Ram 2500 Trucks, The Coopers were by far the best riding and best on snow/ice. Grabbers were good traction but road rough. Toyo road nice but didn't have as good of traction. BF Goodrich were not as nice riding and when they were half wore out, the traction was terrible. All these tires were 18 inch.

lots of good info on Barry's site. whenever possible i DOWNSIZE called minus sizing to save unsprung weight as well as $$ sometimes as long as the lesser size is up to snuff to carry the load, easily checked on load range charts that are for ONE tire X's 4 gives you the total + unless needed xtra plies ride HARDER + are HEAVIER!! read the interesting informative link page, THANKS!!! like many things tire tech evolves + remember reading Don Garlits noting the single biggest factor to todays Nitro Fueled monsters is BETTER tyres!!!
yeah but you compromise handling, wear, pothole resistance, load handling, etc.

IMO, foolish to downsize over stock, UNLESS you are just lowering a pickup to make a bromobile that will never haul anything.

Extra plies being harder, not so much of an issue on a tire that doesn't have a low profile sidewall. If someone doesn't use their truck, like a truck, then I understand some disagreement there about relative smooth riding. Then... there's... potholes.

Tire tech didn't really evolve regarding this aspect of it, I mean it's still the same trade offs.

Bottom line, get an A/T tire if you need that, but don't if you don't. I'm always leery of buying an old model tire not only because of the question of how old the stock is but also, if I have a failure later, will I be able to get a matching tire that isn't even older stock.

Save enough money and then okay it may make sense, if you put a lot of miles per year on so the tires will wear out before they age out.

Back