Cooper Discoverer A/T (Walmart Special) vs. Firestone Destination A/T2

I have the copper A/T 265/70/17 on my Avalanche for 8 months now, Black Friday sale Walmart $600, but paid an Indy shop $100 to mount and balance, ran them in snow, dirt, some mud, sand, wet and dry. Just took it on a 5k mile road trip from CA to TX and back, no issues. Quiet for A/T tires. Hard to beat for the price and I think they look more aggressive than a generic A/T tire.
IMG_3077.jpeg

My ridgeline came with destination AT/2's and I got good service from them. 55K with 7500 rotations.

Pretty good in the snow and they had 3 Peak which on top of AWD got me through chain control in all but the worst situations.

For your driving, I wouldn't buy anything but an H/T.

I had a set of Toyo Open Country H/T's I liked, in your size and a 6-ply rated load range C. But they have since been redesigned. Is the new Toyo H/T II version better? I don't know, as I haven't tried them.

For your driving, I wouldn't buy anything but an H/T.

I had a set of Toyo Open Country H/T's I liked, in your size and a 6-ply rated load range C. But they have since been redesigned. Is the new Toyo H/T II version better? I don't know, as I haven't tried them.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I agree with you.

I tried an A/T, and everything I thought would be true about the tire, ended up being true. More noise, worse wear, and inferior rain performance to the LTX.

Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t bad. They just weren’t really what I needed for my use.

When my daughter started driving my Xterra I wanted the best rain tires money could buy. Best research I could find was the Conti cross-contact or something like that. I refuse to buy anything made by continental - 2 very bad experiences. Next best was Firestone LE3. I have had LE2's in the past and they ran well, were quiet and lasted a long time so I went firestone. Wet performance of the LE3's is great. So great I am putting them on my truck next week. Firestone has a $60 instant savings which Discount tire agreed to match. I think they ended up being $173 + install, tax, etc.

If you do want A/T - hard to beat a cooper tire for the price. They will get noisy once worn. All A/T tires do.

I have had good luck with walmart installs in the past - but it varies by store.

I would avoid Costco personally - some of their tire SKU's are special for them - so matching could be a problem and there aren't many Costco's around. Stick with their $1.50 hot dog and stuffed bell peppers instead.

I put a set of copper at3 4s tires on my dad’s F-150 and they were great the first half of their life. Then the noise came along with the outside tread blocks wearing unevenly. The more I notice copper AT tires on trucks the more I notice the outside tread block wearing unevenly. My co workers Ram, same thing. I had a set of Firestone Destination AT 2’s on my Tahoe and they rode great, quiet, wore evenly and no complaints.

Back