Cooper Discoverer AT/W LT truck tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to replace my Cooper Discoverer AT/W LT265 70 R17 tires on my 2008 3/4 ton Suburban. I would say they did quite well as winter tires. Very good on snow and ice. At the time they were promoted as a winter tire that you could drive all year, so I did that. After 3 years and 50,000 miles they are down to 6 mm of thread left. The wear is consistent all around.

I notice they no longer promote that feature but I’m willing to buy them again but this time as a dedicated winter tire, and I’ll get another set of rims and 3 season tires next spring. They’re currently 25% off at Canadian Tire.

Anyone else have any observations on theirs?

At 7-8/32” of tread, would they still be good as your 3 season tires and keep on going for another year?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
At 7-8/32” of tread, would they still be good as your 3 season tires and keep on going for another year?

Possibly. Not good enough for this winter but maybe another year as summer tires.

My Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires seem to be similar in design. Your AT/W have more sipes for winter traction. Great tires overall, made in USA, seems to be a solid company, and it rides smooth and quiet.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Possibly. Not good enough for this winter but maybe another year as summer tires.

Those tires are not even half worn and would still work for another winter season.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Those tires are not even half worn and would still work for another winter season.

Ha,ha, it all boils down to where you live. This isn’t Dayton. It’s the Rocky Mountains. I’m in a rural area and the local snow plow contract stipulates the roads must be cleared within 3 days of the snowfall. Usually the snowplows don’t show up unti day 3. The local ski resort 18 miles away at Kimberley, BC gets 150 inches of snow and is at 4,000 ft elevation at the base. No place for 8/32 tires. Thanks for the post.

Last I heard, Kimberly was under fire evacuation notice. I lived in Cranbrook the year the 737 hit the snow plow, winter of 77-78.
My Canadian Tire pick (Newfie Speed 'n Sport) would be Hankook RF-10 ATM in 275/70/17. $$$!!

Cooper's ST MAXX comes in a 255/80/17, as above... expensive.

Edit; BFG K02 34/10.50/17 33.5" tall.

I'm running the Discoverer AT/W as my winter setup and Duratracs as the summers. The AT/W are much better than the Duratracs in winter conditions. Depending on the vehicle, I don't think the differences of a dedicated winter tire would be that much better than these AT/W's. I do occasionally go offroad, which would chew up dedicated winter tires so this was a nice compromise. These AT/W rock in deep or packed snow, but still sketchy on pure ice (as would any non studded tire would be).

Got the ATW's put on today. 16/32. Here's a shot.

DBCAD4B4-3B99-422D-A0DE-41A1FEF11115.jpeg

Looks good, Snagglefoot. Last year I took advantage of Ford's tire sale with rebates and got Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 tires for a real decent price. Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact cost after rebate, but was quite happy at the time.

Until the switch to the Yokohama A/Ts, I always ran Cooper Discoverer M+S (as well as my dad and a few friends). They're winter tires that we all ran year round on our F150s and Silverados. They are fantastic tires that just amaze us in the winter. Granted, when the snow drifts are up to the headlights, we have to get out and shovel some to get through. But that's to be expected, and isn't every day of the winter.

FWIW, we get 35k out our Discoverer M+S tires. They aren't worn out, but worn enough that we want fresh tread for the winter. Cooper tires are really nice. I wasn't aware of of the A/TW variant but it looks good. Thanks for bringing this tire to our attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back