Continental Pure Contact tread life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have around 41,000 miles on my set, Discount Tire said the depth is at 5/32, the W in the DSW is still visible. I get them rotated and balanced every 5,000 miles. How many miles have you guys got off your set? They are rated for 70,000 miles, shop of course thinks that I won't get there and tried to price me for another set (even a spare tire!).

Got my set of Conti DWS's installed on the BMW in my sig. Drove with them for about 10k miles.
then had them transferred over to the Focus in my sig and I've have had them for exactly 60,000kms(38k miles).

The W's have finally all worn off, but I have tremendous tire noise from these. I thought it was bad wheel bearings, but I was wrong.

Won't go with Conti's again. Considering Pirelli P7's or if I wanna save a little $$ a set of General RT43's.

Have them on the KL Cherokee (on from the factory). Haven't rotated them and hoping they don't last 70k miles for sure, want them to wear down so I can justify some tires befitting of a Jeep. I have 11k on them now.

Last edited:
My Volvo (the T5) has yet to get more than 45,000 miles out of any tires. The Continental Pure Contact are the best wearing tires I've had on it to date, much better than the Continental Extreme contact DWS, which did get noisy at the end of their life.

It's a guess, but I anticipate closer to 60,000 miles by the time I get down to 2/32 of an inch tread depth on these. They are 235/45R17.

That may, or may not, meet the tread life warranty. But to be honest I don't care, they've been the quietest, longest wearing tires I've put on that car. The ride is pretty good for that series of tire, the handling and grip have been very good as well.

They are not the sportiest tires on the block, they are more of a grand touring tire, but I would recommend them to anyone looking for balance across the factors of tread life, handling, noise, and ride comfort. They are not snow tires, but they are acceptable in snow.

The Pures I put on the Forester will be lucky to get much past 50K.
They are decent in every other way but have proven to be much less long-lived then I had thought they would be.
These were not cheap tires and I expected more of them.
Oh well, I did want to try them.
The OEM Yokahama Geolanders were at least as good in use, though.

Seriously folks, do you really want drive on tires with less than 3/32 tread depth IF you can afford not to? This isn't a criticism, just a question.
I'm convinced the mileage ratings are there for people to go back to the same brand since they will receive a discount because the tires didn't make it.

I just put four new Michelin Pilots AS3+ on my MB because they were at 3/32".

So, no, I don't.

But legal and smart aren't always synonymous...

the last few mm tend to last a lot longer, but the question is if you want to drive on it.

additionally those last few mm tend to be when the tire is quite a bit older, so performance is additionally decreased by age.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

So, no, I don't.

Congrats on mentioning the almighty Michelin Tires on a thread that has nothing to do with Michelin tires......

My Volvo (the T5) has yet to get more than 45,000 miles out of any tires. The Continental Pure Contact are the best wearing tires I've had on it to date, much better than the Continental Extreme contact DWS, which did get noisy at the end of their life.

It's a guess, but I anticipate closer to 60,000 miles by the time I get down to 2/32 of an inch tread depth on these. They are 235/45R17.

That may, or may not, meet the tread life warranty. But to be honest I don't care, they've been the quietest, longest wearing tires I've put on that car. The ride is pretty good for that series of tire, the handling and grip have been very good as well.

They are not the sportiest tires on the block, they are more of a grand touring tire, but I would recommend them to anyone looking for balance across the factors of tread life, handling, noise, and ride comfort. They are not snow tires, but they are acceptable in snow.

I put a set of these on my Volvo S80. Attempted to rotate, balance and do a 4-wheel alignment every 5-7K miles or so. Mine lasted about 42K miles before I had to replace two of them and I really need to replace the other two now. I have 218K miles on what I think is original suspension parts, so while I was hoping for 55K+ miles out of them, I'm not surprised that these didn't last that long. These did handle very well and I felt very secure running these tires. I did use the tire warranty when I replaced two of them.

I also put these on my Kia Optima and again have been doing rotation/balance and 4-wheel alignment every 5K miles or so. They are wearing very slowly and drive great, even with "spirited driving".

When my wife's Nissan Rogue's OEM tires wore out at ~37K miles, I replaced them with the Pirelli p7 Cinturato. These have also been fantastic tires.

Time will tell on how my Kia and Nissan tend to wear on these tires but so far, I'm pleased.

Last edited:
I put some 225/50r17 purecontacts on our accord at 80K miles, now at 136K.
So 56K on the tires.
I rotate between 5K and 7.5K
In the DWS markers (not DSW)
The S just wore off this spring.
DW is still very clear.

So either you corner like a mad man or you need an alignment.
The 70K is the mileage to the wear bars not mileage to 5/32.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

So, no, I don't.

Congrats on mentioning the almighty Michelin Tires on a thread that has nothing to do with Michelin tires......

My post was about when tires are worn out. I don't run them to 2/32", that was a question IN THE THREAD

While your post was?

Mine have about 36K on a 160K mile Toyota Corolla, D, W, and S still deep and visible on all 4. Had an alignment when tires were new. Haven't measured tread but it's way more than 5/32. I rotate about every 15,000 miles. I fully expect to get my money's worth out of these tires, barring accidents or other damage.

Best rain tire I've ever had. Might be put in second place by the Conti CrossContact LX20's we just put on the Honda Pilot.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I put some 225/50r17 purecontacts on our accord at 80K miles, now at 136K.
So 56K on the tires.
I rotate between 5K and 7.5K
In the DWS markers (not DSW)
The S just wore off this spring.
DW is still very clear.

So either you corner like a mad man or you need an alignment.
The 70K is the mileage to the wear bars not mileage to 5/32.

Not sure what you are talking about, I was simply asking how many miles people are getting overall on these tires. I have 41k and they are currently at 5/32 so no idea what you are talking about about wear bars, that would obviously be 2/32...But ymmv as they say. The 70k is not a set limit.

OK, guys. This business about tire inflation pressure and contact patch size is an old one - and many people have some .... oh, let's call them "less than factual" notions about it.

Here, read this:

Wayback Machine: Fact or Fiction?

Short version: The size of a tire's contact patch can NOT be determined by the load on the tire and its inflation pressure.

And a corollary pertinent to this discussion: Changing to a wider tire, results in a larger footprint (with the usual caveats about load carrying capacity, etc.)

If you bought them at DT and they end up not wearing as Conti warranted (in warranty period), then DT should give you a proration adjustment towards a new set. DT in this area has done that for me a couple times, and adjustment was very fair imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back