Do longer tread life tires ride harsher over time?

I want to get through this winter and then look into replacement in the spring.

But man, tires have just gotten so stupid expensive lately. I bought these for $108 each and now they're listed at $180+!

I guess it is OK if I offer my opinions, even if I don't actually know. That is, I am offering my OPINION, not anything that is based on facts.

I think most folks imagine that "hard" tread compounds are actually fairly stiff and affect the way a tire deflects and, therefore, rides. I don't think that is the case. I think the deflection of a tire is relatively independent of the stiffness of the tread.

I've been told by people who should know, that new tires always ride better than the same tires when they are worn. They say that the reason is that the additional rubber acts as a damper (like a shock absorber), cushioning things. I wonder if the lower weight of the worn tire allows the worn tire to react more to road input, making the vehicle feel more of the road input.

So I think UTQG treadwear ratings don't have much of an effect on the ride quality - that the ride quality is more a function of the structure of the tire in the lower sidewall - in particular the filler height.

Further, I think the proof is that high speed rated tires that have low UTQG treadwear ratings have worse ride because of that large filler height which is used to get a crisper steering feel.

I don't know that there is a direct correlation between tire lifespan, age and harshness. Certainly, a tire with full tread is a bit squishier to a sensitive driver. And maybe quieter, due to no unusual wear patterns having developed yet.

However, the idea that the sidewalls become markedly stiffer and therefore harsher with time is not something I see on the Michelin tires I typically use. Maybe on lower quality tires, this is a "thing". One thing that could settle the issue is hot day vs. cold day and/or driving hard enough to heat up the tires, and thereby soften the rubber a little. Seeing if that makes a big difference in ride quality.

I had some Michelin Energy tires that came on the '12 Camry. After 52k miles/roughly 5 years changed them out for some General RT43s. The old Michelin tires were more quiet, smooth, etc. than the new Generals. Definitely went down a tier or two with the new tires. I couldn't believe how much better the old tires felt.

Reactions: FZ1
My new LX-25 Conti's tires are 12/32". the first few weeks at times the tires squirmed a lot. It is less noticeable after 2 months. Hope it improves even more by spring. The ride quality is quite nice. They are warranted for 70K. Well see in a few years.
We have a set of these on our 2020 CRV EX-L, now at 3 years and 10,500 miles, last inspection they were at 10/32 and still very smooth and quiet. Excellent in the wet and light snow. They replaced the factory installed Bridgestone Ecopia's at about 1200 miles which were noisy, lousy in the rain and harsh riding. I'd buy the LX-25's again in a heartbeat. They've been rotated once and are wearing very evenly.

I had some Michelin Energy tires that came on the '12 Camry. After 52k miles/roughly 5 years changed them out for some General RT43s. The old Michelin tires were more quiet, smooth, etc. than the new Generals. Definitely went down a tier or two with the new tires. I couldn't believe how much better the old tires felt.
You bought a touring tire from a mid-grade brand. What did you expect?

There may be more to the equation here than just a change in brand... What wheel size are you on for your Camry? (they came with 16-18" wheels depending on trim). If you went from a narrower higher series SL tire to a wider lower series XL tire, that change may have contributed to the difference in ride characteristics more than the change in brand.

They replaced the factory installed Bridgestone Ecopia's at about 1200 miles which were noisy, lousy in the rain and harsh riding. I'd buy the LX-25's again in a heartbeat. They've been rotated once and are wearing very evenly.
I replaced the low tier Continental that comes on hybrids. Not terrible tires if you think sliding off of curves in hot conditions is OK. They were just not confidence inspiring. Managed to get the LX-25 with good rebate and sold the old Conti's for $75. I like the tires, they have lots of feedback through the wheel, have a quiet ride, and the wheels seem to have less rebound impact after hitting a big bump. Only have about 1500 miles on them, so still in the honeymoon phase.

Back