Tires for...Stash?

My 2012 Ford Fusion has Michelin Defender T&H on it, P225/50R17
I have just over 75k miles on them. I rotate about every 7,500 miles or so. They have about 5/32" tread left.
I have been super happy with these tires. I had them put on September of 2017.
So, I don't need new tires yet. Based on the miles that we put on this car, I'm thinking maybe this fall or winter?
Given inflation and shortages of so many things (rumors of a rubber shortage) and some decent rebates right now...I'm thinking of buying four new tires and storing them in my barn until I need them.
Thoughts on that?
Also, what to buy?
I bought these based on Consumer Reports recommendation and have been pleased.
Snow is not a concern.
Current CR ratings are:
General Altimax RT43
Michelin Defender T&H
Continental True Contact Tour
Falken Sincera
Nexen Aria AH7
Yokahama Avid Ascend
One other thing that is important to me is where they are made. I believe that my Michelins were made in SC.
My future son-in-law just purchased a set of the Generals for his Civic and has been really happy with them. My only hesitation there is that they are made in Mexico. Not a total deal breaker to me if they were the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I would prefer to go with something made in the U.S.
Curious what everyone's thoughts are on all of this?
TIA

I just bought a set of RT43's for my Trax for the exact same reason. They were delivered today and are already in storage. It may be tire size dependent on the Generals but the last set was made in Ecuador, this set, a size larger than stock, was made in the USA.

I did exactly this with a set of RT43s a few years back but not prompted by a shortage, just a killer deal using stacked rebates from Discount Tire’s eBay page. Unfortunately for me, about 8 months after I bought them, I finally decided to get them mounted and got stuck with an out of round. It cost be an extra $80 to get road force balancing to diagnose the out of round and cost me another $90 after mounting, balancing, and shipping charges to replace the defective tire. Still came out ahead by about $60 vs buying local but wasn’t worth the hassle.

Long story short, don’t buy unless you are going to get them mounted immediately and like always, always spring for the road force balancing from the getgo.

I replace tires at 4/32. As soon as you wear down to 4/32, your high speed panic wet braking distance has markedly increased as has your hydroplaning. So I would replace them now. Your at 5/32 now.
And being your in a big city, give the Tire Racks ASAP company installer a try. They installed new tires on my wifes Audi in our driveway.
Get the Michelins if you want to support the Carolina economy.

Had a total of three sets of RT43s -- two on the Prius, one on our Hyundai. They're a great tire but they can be loud when they get old. Both sets on the Prius lasted forever.

Now the Prius and Outback in my signature both have Yokohama Avid Ascend GTs and they've been as good as the RT43 in the rain, snow, and slush but I think their steering response is better. They do ride pretty rough though.

I'm not sure I could tell the RT43 from the Avid Ascend GT back to back. When it comes time to order again if both tires are still made I'll get whichever is cheaper.

I have just over 75k miles on them. I rotate about every 7,500 miles or so. They have about 5/32" tread left.
So, I don't need new tires yet. Based on the miles that we put on this car, I'm thinking maybe this fall or winter?
Given inflation and shortages of so many things (rumors of a rubber shortage) and some decent rebates right now...I'm thinking of buying four new tires and storing them in my barn until I need them.
Thoughts on that?
Also, what to buy?
Snow is not a concern.
Current CR ratings are:
General Altimax RT43
Michelin Defender T&H
Falken Sincera
Nexen Aria AH7
Yokahama Avid Ascend
One other thing that is important to me is where they are made. I believe that my Michelins were made in SC.
My future son-in-law just purchased a set of the Generals for his Civic and has been really happy with them. My only hesitation there is that they are made in Mexico. Not a total deal breaker to me if they were the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I would prefer to go with something made in the U.S.
TIA
The tyres I've been wanting since new year, but never commited to, have gone up 30% recently. We might be late to the party.

If you've gotten 75k miles so far with tread left on the Michelin's, that's what I'd replace them with.

I'd replace them now though and sell the old tires for $50 on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.

You would think of all these threads about having oil left and what to do with it because the vehicle was totaled in an accident (recent thread) it would make guys think twice about "stashing". At least with oil, you have the theoretical option of poring one quart of whatever you have in to your new vehicle at every oil change-thereby using it up-however long it takes. With tires that don't fit on another vehicle-that's hardly an option.

More OCD-TCD on here.

AJB009
I just put my 5th set of Michelin Defenders on my 2011 King Ranch Expedition EL. I run my tires to 75k miles and rotate @ 7500 miles. Usually I have about 6/32nds of tire left. I sell the takeoffs on Craigslist for $250-300.
Don't be too cute and run them to the wear bands. Be thankful for 75k miles, and move on.
Thoughts on that?
Also, what to buy?
Snow is not a concern.
Current CR ratings are:
General Altimax RT43
Michelin Defender T&H
Falken Sincera
Nexen Aria AH7
Yokahama Avid Ascend
TIA

I am an RT43 fan but that's partially because I got tired of reading all the reviews, tried them and found that they worked good enough. YMMV.

IMO if you can score a deal and save money, and will use in a few months, then it makes sense to buy ahead of time. Buying 4 sets though would not make sense; while they won't age out if stored properly (I think) there is the risk that you might not go through all of the stash--and you'd feel sorry if you lost money on it. Like everything, it's a gamble. But in this case, if they are on sale right now, and you'll install this fall, then I'd buy too (I've done precisely this in the past).

I have 7 vehicles so I'm constantly stocking discounted car parts, fluids, etc. It's the only way I can manage this fleet! You buy parts on sale or when you find them used as often as possible. Tires and rims are part of that. Right now I have spare sets of tires and/or rims for nearly all of my vehicles. So, the short answer is yes. This is not only handy when it's the normal replacement time, but also handy as a hedge against inflation and having to replace a set on the spot... much nicer to buy items in advance on sale and have them on hand, than to be standing at some tire shop getting gouged on a set of tires.

To save money, I often look for sets of near new take-offs of the top brands for my various vehicles. Do some research and take notes on the top tires for your car, and then look for deals and sales on those tires locally or at tire-rack, etc.. You can often get them at 1/2 price. Rims too... It's nice to have mounted tires in the garage to swap out in 5 minutes if you must. And I keep at least 1 or two of the old tires as emergency "crawl mode" spares.... even if they are old and low tread, it'll get you home at a slow safe speed. Let's say you pick up a nail on the way home, and park the car. You discover a flat the next day. It's very nice to open the garage door, and bring out a mounted tire (or pair) to solve the problem.

But keep in mind, tires "expire" due to age as well. Recommendations vary, but somewhere between 6 to 10 years depending on usage the compounds supposedly break down. Look for dry rot and cracking. Of course this varies greatly on many variables, including intended use. I'd use a 20 year old tractor tire at 5mph in the field. But for my highway cars, the tires are going to be in perfect condition... So don't store too many, and store them in a cool dark location like a garage and out of heat and sunlight.

I replace tires at 4/32. As soon as you wear down to 4/32, your high speed panic wet braking distance has markedly increased as has your hydroplaning. So I would replace them now. Your at 5/32 now.
And being your in a big city, give the Tire Racks ASAP company installer a try. They installed new tires on my wifes Audi in our driveway.
Get the Michelins if you want to support the Carolina economy.
Wet traction and braking goes downhill way before 4/32.

I would buy tires when you need them and not store them. If something happens to the vehicle, you'll have tires that you can't use and should you sell them, you will take a lo$$ when you are actually trying to $ave money. If you buy them now, install them now. Not that anything will happen to the tire during storage for 6 months however, if you're buying tires to save money, it could cost you.

I would buy tires when you need them and not store them. If something happens to the vehicle, you'll have tires that you can't use and should you sell them, you will take a lo$$ when you are actually trying to $ave money. If you buy them now, install them now. Not that anything will happen to the tire during storage for 6 months however, if you're buying tires to save money, it could cost you.
A very good point to consider. I'd say it's only a good strategy if 1) you would otherwise replace the car with a similar one (e.g. you like it and would buy another), and 2) you buy the tires at a deep discount which is sort of the point.

For example, if you peruse the 2nd hand market, near new takeoffs can be found for about 1/2 price of new. This saves a lot of money especially if they're already mounted and balanced on factory rims where it's a double win... I specifically like my vehicles enough where I would replace them with a similar one if destroyed. So I will always be able to use the tires/rims I've set aside.

I would NOT do the OPs strategy if one is simply buying tires at full retail and/or don't like the vehicle enough to hold it long term or replace it with the same model if it is destroyed. You are correct, that would be foolish.

Wet traction and braking goes downhill way before 4/32.
There is no reason to replace 4/32nd tires if you are in the summer season. This is akin to changing oil at 3,000 miles-IMHO. I did replace 4/32nd tires-just before this winter-but wouldn't have if it wasn't coming up on the winter season.

I'm thinking of buying four new tires and storing them in my barn until I need them.
Thoughts on that?
If you get a good deal, why not. I bought 20 of these Bridgestones 3 years ago when after rebates and discounts, cost just $42 from a regular price of $100. Have 12 left.

tires.JPG

There is no reason to replace 4/32nd tires if you are in the summer season. This is akin to changing oil at 3,000 miles-IMHO. I did replace 4/32nd tires-just before this winter-but wouldn't have if it wasn't coming up on the winter season.
That's fine if you don't plan on driving in the rain at highway speeds. I wouldn't want to share the highway with a driver using 4/32 tires in a rainstorm.

Back